• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lb7 from hell

Bad dually

Reaction score
Driven only 2,000 miles $13,000 later over a year in a shop transmission harness replacement engine harness replacement injectors replacement injector sleeve replacement air fuel separator replacement fuse box replacement all new components outside of transmission new sensors inside transmission these are all the expenses of taking on from the long-term guessing game of why the truck is stalling out had shifting range inhibited problems stalled out while driving dropped gears loss of power technician said he would have 99.9% fixed after he was done been over a year dug his feet in can't push him to resolve anything tells me I should just get rid of it that it will nickel-and-dime me that already has don't have the heart to sell it like that don't want to sell it want to be old with the truck he fix the shifting problem for the transmission is working proper but it's still stalls out on the engine after firing everything related to electrical and vacuum and feel to the system of the engine is normal everything reads normal on the truck that involves operation of the engine but still it stalls he doesn't know what to do he won't admit it but I'm still over a year without my truck does anyone have any idea what's going on I could use a sharp mind I can't have them give up on me

Driven only 2,000 miles $13,000 later over a year in a shop transmission harness replacement engine harness replacement injectors replacement injector sleeve replacement air fuel separator replacement fuse box replacement all new components outside of transmission new sensors inside transmission these are all the expenses of taking on from the long-term guessing game of why the truck is stalling out had shifting range inhibited problems stalled out while driving dropped gears loss of power technician said he would have 99.9% fixed after he was done been over a year dug his feet in can't push him to resolve anything tells me I should just get rid of it that it will nickel-and-dime me that already has don't have the heart to sell it like that don't want to sell it want to be old with the truck he fix the shifting problem for the transmission is working proper but it's still stalls out on the engine after firing everything related to electrical and vacuum and fuel to the system of the engine is normal everything reads normal on the truck that involves operation of the engine but still it stalls he doesn't know what to do he won't admit it but I'm still over a year without my truck does anyone have any idea what's going on I could use a sharp mind I can't have them give up on me
Can you help me give him suggestions that he may have overlooked

What year truck? Transmission problems should not cause stalling out. You say vacuum leaks? Is this a California emissions truck with EGR? Most stalling issues are normally due to chafed harness's near where it passes by the alternator, or it's sucking air somewhere(normally the filter head, which can be rebuilt with a $25 seal kit). Sounds to me like the guy you have working on it is playing guessing games instead of diagnosing the problem. These kinds of people normally cause more problems than they fix by throwing parts at a problem, and new parts don't always mean good parts.

Shift range inhibited is normally one of 3 things, if it has the 2 plug nsbu that is black, that's usually it. 2nd common issue is the pressure switch manifold, if it fails, the tcm cannot monitor the position of the shift valves, and it goes to nuetral and displays shift range inhibited on 03+. Then the last issue is clutch material hanging up multiple shift valves at one time(but this isn't very common unless you have a torque converter lose the clutch lining).

What year truck? Transmission problems should not cause stalling out. You say vacuum leaks? Is this a California emissions truck with EGR? Most stalling issues are normally due to chafed harness's near where it passes by the alternator, or it's sucking air somewhere(normally the filter head, which can be rebuilt with a $25 seal kit). Sounds to me like the guy you have working on it is playing guessing games instead of diagnosing the problem. These kinds of people normally cause more problems than they fix by throwing parts at a problem, and new parts don't always mean good parts.

Shift range inhibited is normally one of 3 things, if it has the 2 plug nsbu that is black, that's usually it. 2nd common issue is the pressure switch manifold, if it fails, the tcm cannot monitor the position of the shift valves, and it goes to nuetral and displays shift range inhibited on 03+. Then the last issue is clutch material hanging up multiple shift valves at one time(but this isn't very common unless you have a torque converter lose the clutch lining).
2004 GMC Sierra Allison Transmission lb7 6.6L turbo diesel. the transmission is good now already replaced all connections the whole entire harness has been gone through and replaced by a new one the computers have all been checked out and are operating normal which led to the fuse box replacement it was corroded, there are no fuel or vacuum leaks from the tank to the engine even to the smallest parts that are related to the air fuel separator to the fuel rail. All connections and power sources are working at normal operation, The fuel pressure is monitoring properly to the injectors sensors for fuel operation have been checked and running normal but still truck is stalling out. My prior mechanic who is one of my best friends that has built two motors for me got the stalling to stop prior before all the other crap was done by the transmission Tech. My friend installed another fuel pump assembly and lines that he custom made bypassing system after the fuel and air separator feeding fuel to the injectors which stop the stalling. If there was something wrong with a fuel and air separator then that third fuel system he made will not work properly. The other Tech who fix the transmission... didn't like the fuel job that was done and took it off this leading to the problem of stalling he thought replacing the pump housing and the fuel air separator would fix the problem. He was wrong he thought if he got to the source of the problem that the third fuel pump system be just a Band-Aid and not fix the problem and assumed he could fix it now he's just digging his feet in with his hands in the air leaving me with an unfixed truck already $1,400 given for parts and still having to pay $1,000 for labor with a truck still not working, I have brought this truck to so many different shops and all of them have turned down the truck cuz I couldn't figure out what was wrong with it this is the only guy who actually tempted to do something about it and got further than most people but In the beginning he told me he'd be able to have it fixed and I can drive the hell out of it, he said it again when he told me he almost had it figured out, but there were a few little issues. Then when stopping by to see him just recently he told me to get rid of it that it would just fail overtime and nickel-and-dime me for everything I got. So what do you do after everything's checks normal but it stalls out you have the best diagnostic tools showing no problems and you ran through the system several times finding nothing. I will note when I talk to him again about everything he's gone through, I will relate it back to you because I'm sure there's more details that I don't know of and see what you think I will mention to him what you said and see if he had already followed through with that and speak to my buddy to make sure that there is good communication between all three of us. Thank you so much for your reply if you know anybody else that might have some thought about it let me know because this is definitely an interesting one to think about

It is a California emissions rated truck it did pass smog during the time that this had happened
We did have a filter head check and it did have a crack but was replaced took him 6 months of calling to have several harnesses sent to him from different parts of the country and pulling them apart to find the right one for the engine and transmission, and for that cream-colored neutral safety switch housing was there were two wires that were accidentally crossed that he fix that cause the shifter inhibited problem. The harness that goes to the alternator is new. The pressure switch manifold has no problems. But I will remind him again to recall these things just to think to look it over again, thank you

If the stalling started after fuel system work, then you know where your problem is. The lb7 duramax has no seperate fuel pump, only a gear driven pump on the back of the cp3. It's a fairly simple fuel system really, and theres no reason to be spending that kind of money on it. You could have replaced every line on it and the filter head for the kind of money you're talking.

Where are you located? Maybe we can help find you a competent shop to look at this and diagnose the issue. It could be something as simple as a defective plastic fuel filter(seen more than a few of those), or a double gasketed fuel filter, all the way up to a bad ficm letting air into the supply lines. You need to diagnose the problem though.

Feel bad hearing that "shop of horrors" story.

The engine worked before he messed with it. His professional opinion was to alter it, from a working condition to improve it, and he was wrong- he couldn't do it. If he demands payment to get the truck back, do so and take him to small claims court.
I have seen this time and again where bucket loads of parts are thrown at a rig. It NEVER ends well at that shop. Get it out if there. You are not dealing with a competent shop.

There are Hummer owners that ship their rig out of state for repairs because no one close is good. If you are in love with the truck, can't diy it, and no one close is a great mechanic for that type- you have to ship it farther away. Duramax is not a mystery engine, there are good shops around.

I'm located in Grass Valley California but my truck is in Chico California a year ago where I used to live that I moved from when I bought a house,but the truck never made it home. It really would be amazing to be able to find somebody who knows what they're doing and stop telling me that they know what they're doing I've been going through that for 2 years emptying my pockets and crying my eyes red, just about sick of it! I'm sure it makes you disgusted and angry to see what somebody has to go through that just wants a good truck after dishing out thousands and never getting that good truck. I'm really starting to feel better that I didn't give up and seek help here on the site for the first time. I know that truck will pay me back 10 full for everything I put into it and if you do find somebody it would be a real miracle I could use one right now, it would do a great deal for me and my extended family that I promised they could rely on when it came to the big stuff that that truck was meant for what I bought it for. I'm not too far for you to be able to find somebody who could help me check it out? Baby I didn't say it right but it could have been that he said that adding that fuel pump to push through to the injection system is like having a third fuel system that could have been what he meant not sure he also told me that whoever had the truck before packed a bunch of things electrically into pieces splicing left and right they said every time they worked on it and got a little further they were saying what the hell who did this that's what I've been told.

Feel bad hearing that "shop of horrors" story.

The engine worked before he messed with it. His professional opinion was to alter it, from a working condition to improve it, and he was wrong- he couldn't do it. If he demands payment to get the truck back, do so and take him to small claims court.
I have seen this time and again where bucket loads of parts are thrown at a rig. It NEVER ends well at that shop. Get it out if there. You are not dealing with a competent shop.

There are Hummer owners that ship their rig out of state for repairs because no one close is good. If you are in love with the truck, can't diy it, and no one close is a great mechanic for that type- you have to ship it farther away. Duramax is not a mystery engine, there are good shops around.
See I thought you were talking about the old Humvees because of new Humvees are nothing but a Tahoe chassis which is a joke right it's always like Ford and GM to ruin a good thing that's work well on market for years. and as far as these trucks there really hasn't been a lot of people been capable of working on it because it's been turned down many times tell me they don't like working on those kinds of trucks it's beyond them and out of their hands. And when I tell my story to other mechanics who have trucks like mine in the shop ask me what is happened, because they can't figure out the problems too I've been told, other mechanics they have ran into these problems as well with these particular kind of trucks. I'm sure that tells you I have been trying so hard for a while locally to get the word out to anyone who could help me out. If you boys know someone who I can call please let me know

See I thought you were talking about the old Humvees because of new Humvees are nothing but a Tahoe chassis which is a joke right it's always like Ford and GM to ruin a good thing that's work well on market for years. And as far as these trucks there really hasn't been a lot of people been capable of working on it because it's been turned down many times telling me they don't like working on those kinds of trucks it's beyond them and out of their hands. And when I tell my story to other mechanics who have trucks like mine in the shop.. asking me what has happened, because they can't figure out the problems too. I've been told, other mechanics they have ran into these problems as well with these particular kind of trucks. I'm sure that tells you I have been trying so hard for a while locally to get the word out to anyone who could help me out. If you boys know someone who I can call please let me know. The problems I'm having here just a small icing of what I've been through in the ordeal of this truck, if I told you how I got it and what kind hell I went through to get it, and what I had to endure Pryor before all of this would make you gag.. will make you outrage a story that would make most people cringe things that have been worse than what I've been going through now, I'm a "shirt off your back type person", I can't believe stuff like this even happens. My family insults me doesn't completely support me for the ordeal I've gone through mocking me that they don't know the time and money I spent on it, when I'm the one that help support them on finding a good vehicle for them and helping them to upkeep and maintain their vehicle saving them money... the irony in all that.

I know what it's like to help family members out and then get screwed when it's their time to pay it back

This is in response to your quote above this. I couldn't get your quote to copy and post for some reason.

The suggested plan of getting rid of it works for the bad shops, but, not you. The evidence goes away, they get paid, and you are without a truck.

I PM'd you a shop I recommend. Get an attorney to help you figure out your rights as you have enough money out over this to be worth the ~$150 consultation fee. The attorney paid for themselves 2x over in several situations I had. Again attorney will be the best advice you can get about the situation vs. the forums. Forums can help fix things, but, sometimes you get that odd duck no one has ever seen.

Always keep old parts as they can become evidence.

Hey buddy of mine is going Monday to raise hell to get the truck back I will let you all know what happens after that

But before I can involve an attorney I have to call the Bureau of Automotive investigation referee to inspect the truck when I get it back to handle a case before that goes to a lawyer for now I have to play it cool and make sure that I get all the parts back.

I did have a lawyer prior to the whole experience of hell when I had bought the truck from a dealer in Cadwell Idaho who screwed me over on title that he lied about Plus I had went on several sites for car history report that failed to report its history of saying the title is clean on Carfax and AutoCheck. I found out later after I registered it to DMV after the purchase, all the reports of what happened to it showed up and it was a nightmare try to get the dealer responsible for misleading me on the truck but then turned down twice by lawyers considering that he was in Cadwell Idaho I was told that I be reimbursed for what I paid for for the truck but not reimbursed for all the things that I had to pay to get the truck operating to California emissions and road safety standards in which I found is a rule whenever you buy something out of state. registered and all up to code and parts that I had already put into it, no reimbursement for that which was about $4,800 registration was $1,600 in front suspension replacement the whole front end $2,100alone. My mother's old boss is a part time small claims judge he's the one who told me that this is what would happen in court if I tried to get back everything I put into it that I would get it back just the cost of the truck only, and that it might cost me more in court and lawyer fees than what it would to repair the truck. I've been down the legal road is there any way that someone can refer me to somebody in Northern California considering that it cost a fortune to tow a 3500 crew cab long bed dually. Thank you so much for the information or replies it's helping me to soften the rough edges a little bit, I am going to get it out of that shop waiting for over a year for to be fixed as a bit much

CL has ads for low cost car hauling now and then. Look for "vehicle shipping" vs. towing. Rent a car hauler trailer also off CL (flatbed 4 wheels with a wrench) and a buddy's truck and go get it.

Advice doesn't mean the attorney gets involved. Steps you can take now from their advice can save a lot of time, money, and hassle. Sometimes having a plan even if it's never fully used goes a long way. It may take several attorneys before you find one that can handle this. Just saying.

Back