• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

late 4l80 into early van ??

mike morris

Reaction score
ok so I have a 2002 van that just got wrecked with a brand new GM 4l80 but I have a 96 van that I want to put it in but the yrs dont match truck yrs. although it's a 96 it has the older trans (gm used old stuff in the Van's lol) so the trans in that is the close together style oil lines and short shift shaft and neutral switch not on the side of the trans but in the column I guess. now oil lines can be fixed easy and the longer shift of the newer trans wont be a prob but what do I do with neutral switch setup???. and also my torque converter? the newer trans is behind a 5.7 the old van is a 6.5 non turbo . this is my first post here and thanks for the help I. adavance. mike

Hello Mike, welcome to thetruckstop. I`m not a lot of help when it comes to this newer stuff, just wanted to give You a welcome.
People with a lot more expertise in these matters will most likely be replying.

The 5.7l converter will be a no go for the 6.5l. The 5.7l will be a dual stator with either a 1800-2000 stall or a 2200-2400(most of the 97.5+ got the 2200-2400 stall) while the 6.5l got a 1600-1800 single stator converter. The shift shaft can be swapped out easily enough. The cooler lines changed in 97. Your other issue is the 02 will have either 3/8" or 1/2" cooler lines and your 96 will have 5/16" lines you can adapt the lines, but your 96 cooler and lines could cause flow issues. In 97 GM changed how much oil flows through the cooler and what the cooler oil does. In early trannies the cooler flow was low and primarily just for cooling whereas 97+ flowed over twice as much fluid and the cooler oil lubricates the entire back of the trans.

You can make it work by building adapters for the cooler lines, swap the shift shaft(your neutral safety switch is column mounted) since I believe your 96 van is mechanical linkage and the 02 has a shift cable, doible check and make sure the output shaft is correct as many vans used a bolt on yoke, but not all of them, and get a torque converter(a Recon/Transtar will cost you $300 +tax and core charge). But that still leaves you with restricted cooler flow that could cause issues down the road.

Last edited:
well that's alot to save a few bucks I'll just sell the the new 02 trans and have my 96 rebuilt when the time comes . thank u very much for ur time and input tho!! when I get the older trans rebuilt any upgraded should i.make sire are some to help since it's a earlier version??

The transgo hd2 kit is a good drop in kit to help with durability mods on any 4l80e. The big issues are direct clutch burnup from not enough apply pressure, this is fixxed by dual feeding the direct clutch, either internally by leaving a sealing ring out, or the transgo modified separator plate. The next issue is pressure spikes. If the pressure control solenoid sticks or goes max pressure, trans pressures can hit 500psi+, and that much pressure can shatter apply pistons. Transgo installs a safety pop off at the valve body to prevent this, or others use the sonnax boost valve with a popoff built into it. Then there's wear in the actuator feed limit valve circuit, the transgo kit is cheapest, and there valve is the recommended one to run. And also install a torque converter clutch valve with a sealing ring(sonnax and transgo both make these). And install a heavy duty intermediate clutch snap ring while it's apart(included in the hd2 kit, or $28 by itself). For a torque converter, most any will do for a n/a 6.5l, but transtar sells there single disc with a billet apply piston for $300.

Back