• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ive got my Kojo tune.. Whats next?

I bought a Heath tune just before xmas $349:agreed:

Lol @ Simon. Found yourself a good deal on a slightly-used PCM, huh? Good deal, any way you look at it!

you commented that it woke the old girl up... Is it in your wife's new truck? You hop that thing up, you'll NEVER get it back from her! :D

I dont know yet. I havent put a scanner on it yet. I just noticed it driving home today. I guess we'll see.

It might also be a TC lockup code, unless you had KOJO program that into your new PCM. You can't do a manual TC override on a 97.

I love me some Bill Heath. Where else in the world can you call someone from hundreds to thousands of miles away and have them troubleshoot your truck over the phone for free..... and be right on the money everytime? What little I do know about my 6.5 is from Bill and that is more than the GM dealer mechanic. They just gave up on this and misdiagnose stuff. I guess we pay for our troubleshooting when we buy products from him. With the price of shops lately...I think I am money ahead.

I love me some Bill Heath. Where else in the world can you call someone from hundreds to thousands of miles away and have them troubleshoot your truck over the phone for free..... and be right on the money everytime? What little I do know about my 6.5 is from Bill and that is more than the GM dealer mechanic. They just gave up on this and misdiagnose stuff. I guess we pay for our troubleshooting when we buy products from him. With the price of shops lately...I think I am money ahead.

Thats a great way to look at it. IMO.

It might also be a TC lockup code, unless you had KOJO program that into your new PCM. You can't do a manual TC override on a 97.

I have a manuel TCC lockup switch on my truck, 1998. As long as you disengage the lockup before coming to a stop and dont play with the switch while you are in park, the ECM will not throw a code.

I guess I should have said 'you shouldn't do a manual TCC lockup on an OBD-II' , rather then you 'can't'.

96+ transmissions use PWM signal from the ECM to control the TCC solenoid; if left engaged for too long, or if used too often, it can result in solenoid burnout. In cases where the ECM signals for a lockup and doesn't get it, it may (not will) code.

Usually, this mod is fine on OBD-I trucks, with the precautions you describe.

sorry about the confusion.

This solenoid burnout you talked about. Have you seen this happen or is this based off the PWM? My switch just brings the solenoid to 100%PWM. IMO the change to the solenoid was to lower the inductance so the solenoid would react to the PWM. I have not measured one but I bet the resistance of the coil is the same or if the resistance is lower it still does not increase the amperage through the coil by much.

But I did ask my transmission guy how hard it is to change out, and he said it is easy to get to with the pan removed.

I love locking up the converter!!

BTW my switch only locks the clutch. It will not prevent the clutch from locking.

Haven't personally seen it, but other guys have reported it. They also said it isn't too hard to change, but I thought I should warn you it could happen. Easy to change or not, in the wrong environment, it's a pain in the butt.

And if it fries in the lock position, you're screwed until you change it.

i had one on my 94... I loved it. Put in a 3-way switch:
- let the ECM control it
- full lock up
- unlocked (handy when towing at some awkward speeds)

Lol @ Simon. Found yourself a good deal on a slightly-used PCM, huh? Good deal, any way you look at it!

you commented that it woke the old girl up... Is it in your wife's new truck? You hop that thing up, you'll NEVER get it back from her! :D

Sorry Jim,I bought it brandnew from Bill himself :agreed:

And yes it is in my wife's new truck.;)
I got a(used) Kojo tune in mine,..wife is taunting me to race her :)

You mentioned the lockup and towing. That made me think of a debate I had with my girlfriend about towing and cruise control. Common practice among lamen at least is to not tow in cruise control. I was thinking about the cruise on my 94 6.5 and how it seems to be merely the computer dictating fuel delivery to maintain the set speed. The pedal doesnt even move on this when cruise is engaged. My question is isnt the issue with towing in cruise that the tranny might hunt for gears and do damage? If so then assuming your engine makes enough torque to stay in OD while towing, where would the issue be. How could the CC cause harm to a tranny when it stays in OD without hunting?

Sorry Jim,I bought it brandnew from Bill himself :agreed:

And yes it is in my wife's new truck.;)
I got a(used) Kojo tune in mine,..wife is taunting me to race her :)

Better let her win or you might be sleeping on the couch LOL

LOL ... Sorry, Simon. I knew you bought one used. Sounds like bill gave you a good price, which doesn't surprise me. And I agree with Les.. Let the little woman win or she will want even more mods.

... harm to a tranny when it stays in OD without hunting?

I towed in cruise all the time; as you sat, the big problem is Shen the trans starts to hunt for gears. That's one of the reasons why I had the third position... To unlock the TCC above 45 so it would stay in OD on slight hills without shifting.

Towing in OD (locked) doesn't hurt either, as long as you don't shift lots or lug things. Just don't do anything in a hurry and the tranny will last just fine.

It makes sense to me and I am really glad you agree I would hate to have to concede to her about how the truck works. I hope that I didnt speak too soon and someone else disagrees with us:) I think they say not to do it in general so that they dont have to explain the issue to people who might not understand the concept. Just tell everyone dont do it and the tranny wont break. I think the denizens of this forum are all smart enough to be able to distinguish when and when not to.

LOL ... Sorry, Simon. I knew you bought one used. Sounds like bill gave you a good price, which doesn't surprise me. And I agree with Les.. Let the little woman win or she will want even more mods.
Truck will decide the winner and i'll be darned to let her win just because.:nonod:
Beside she got pretty much every mod on it already save a straight pipe,...that one will be next.

Good for you Simon, too many guy's have no "Testicular Fortitude" anymore.:D

If she appreciates a REAL man, you're in for one heck of a night.;);)

I bought a Heath tune just before xmas $349:agreed:

I noticed that price also on his site and that made me excited cause thats in my price range, well guess what. Heath jacked the price up another $200. Now its only gonna be longer till I get a tuned ecm. Like someone else mentioned, Heaths prices are way over the top. Is his parts made of gold or what? Do they come with a mail order bride or something? lol

You see the prices, Jorge... Heath charges what he charges. Same with everyone else. That's the American way.

As long as his prices are in line with his competitors - and they are, as you can see - then the choice to buy from him or somebody else is up to you.

But complaining that his prices are 'way over the top' doesn't seem to be an accurate statement.

Seems to me that you missed the boat there Jorge.

But even though Bill is in line with EVERYBODY else, you make sure to complain about one of our paying vendors that help keep this valuable forum free to you. Seems to me it was only a couple of weeks ago that you were here beating up Leroy (another great vendor that pays his - and your - way) about prices he charges.
Normally I let that kind of thing splash off but that's twice and it rubs me the wrong way that you would bash a couple of upstanding guys that are good to you.
Do you gripe to the clerk at the grocery checkout until they drop the price for you? If not then I suggest you re-think your attitude about these fine businessmen.

End rant...

Back