• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!
After many months of shake down runs on my Cummins conversion and tweaking things I’ll be moving to a 400 + HP build using a brand new Genuine Holset hx40 67mm turbocharger.

I hate haze and smoke bellowing so I’m still deciding on exactly what p7100 mods injectors etc. for this build.

Here are the specs:

.82 T3 flanged exhaust housing non-gated (which falls between an 11 cm2 & a 12 cm2 turbine size) w/50mm BOV set around 20 to 25 PSI

3 inch band outlet into 4” down-pipe

67mm by 89 by 95 mm 7 blade billet compressor wheel

67mm by 76mm 10 blade turbine

Good for 950hp + at 35 to 40psi

750 to 850 20 to 30psi

However; HP #’s cited above are for gas applications so diesel HP #’s would be about +- half of that.

Traveller, what did you have to modify on your headlight assemblies to get them to fit? I have mega clearance issues with the 2nd gen intercooler in place?
I switched to the GMC grill and headlights for GMC govt/commercial sealed beam type IMO better looking than the Chevy version no other mods needed.

Attachments

• DSCI0004 (1).JPG
    DSCI0004 (1).JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 26
That looks so tough. I like the sealed bean GMC front end. I've toyed around with changing the Hoe to that front end for the looks aspect and also because it looks like it should help it gulp more air.

What do you have your rig painted with?
Thanks the paint is an older extra flat blend with Teflon additive normally used by gun industry for coating weapons it held up well but UV did it in the bumpers were painted w/bedliner same thing UV did that in too. Now it's going to be painted with Durabak with UV and ozone inhibitors similar to CRAC but safer to handle. However; I destroyed the overdrive on my 47RH so in the process of building a 47/48 hybrid which is a full manual 47RH trans with all the 48RE goodies that fit into it to include all 6 pinion plants finished off with a 48RE overdrive unit so the paint will have to wait.

The Hoe can benefit from this grill and you can use the 2nd Gen Ram Cummins CAC & radiator too it will free up real estate for that compound turbo you know you want.

I did a Cummins 12 valve in a 96 dually 4x4 cclb . It was a beast for sure. There is so much aftermarket support for the swap now that I did not have.
I do have a bread truck engine to trans adapter complete with starter crank hub adapter, bolts, flex plate......ect I sell for $750 + shipping.
As far as trans controller I've been there done that. To make a TCM work is not worth the effort. IMO get a stand alone controller like the QuickShift 1 or 4 I offer. Ask Nate about it, he just got one.
What transmission would you recommend running I have a 95 chevy dually with the 5.9 Cummins 12 valve but has the dodge 2 wheel drive manual transmission I want to turn it back into 4x4 being the front axle is still 4x4

The 2nd gen Cummins transmission adapter plate should be the same for both the 47RH & RE auto and 4500 manual transmissions.

The 47RH is longer than the 47RE the only difference is the OD/4x4 units length "the placement of the governor." The 47RH has the governor in the OD/4x4 unit making it longer while the 47RE the governor is attached to the valve body so its is shorter and uses a controller.

OD & converter lockup on the 47RH can be manual switching or via a few aftermarket controllers to do it 1st to 3rd are hydraulic no need for a controller.

The 47RE needs a controller 1996 to 89 use simple controller for all gears OD & LU. IMO the best controller @ $695.00 for a 5.9 Cummins conversion uses the speed sensor to control as opposed to "TPS which is a PITA on the 2nd gen."

Converting the 47RH/RE or 48RE from 2wd to 4x4 is a simple change out of the OD 2wd to a 4x4 OD unit that's all.

I recommend the 47RH/RE even the 48RH all are easy to rebuild with minimal tools and careful purchase of performance parts I say this because of how search engines direct you to the more expensive vendors these days.

I'm at around $4k for a transmission any performance builder would charge $9k+ for.

I'll be posting up images and short commentary as to why I bought certain items for my build.

Last edited:
Billet governor pressure manifold for the 47/48RE with much larger GM solenoid as Dodge unit has a high rate of failure. Yep, decided to go with an RE instead of a full manual valve body so the wife can drive it too. Waiting for an updated governor pressure transducer too.
I am doing the teflon coated bullet detent conversion and the TransGo TDOF diesel kit for the valve body.
Images of the 3 6 pinion planets tomorow.

Attachments

• DSC01900.JPG
    DSC01900.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC01901.JPG
    DSC01901.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCI0002.JPG
    DSCI0002.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 4
Back