• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Isuzu 4BD2T diesel swap into Suburban

Im not gunna run a DS headlight! Just Joe King. It looks like it will plenty of air. Im going to cut the parking light lens to allow more air to the area also.

I like what I'm seeing, but I do have a question though.

What about rainwater? Will the headlight provide enough protection to keep excessive moisture from going directly into the filter?

Don

I thought about that to. It does have the drain hole, but in a "gully washer" storm Im not really sure? I think its set up about like any other ram air set up like a TransAm...ect. Im not aware that anything is done special for those?? Anyone know?

"gully washer", frog strangler, loblolly, or in your case, the regular afternoon thunderstorms; people who haven't lived in the Houston area won't understand.

IMHO, the intake pipe is mostly protected from direct rain entry by the headlight. Worst case scenario; the half of the filter facing the opening gets soaked.
That leaves the other half to 'breathe' through. In a downpour, you probably won't be running with the pedal to the metal.
Gravity will tend to settle the water to the bottom of the filter housing.

Just don't try do drive accross a bayou without a bridge! ;)

Have you ever seen the intake setup from the early 6.2 NA motors? It's very similar to what you have except the filter isn't directly behind the core support.

I've got an 83 and the intake is in the radiator core support, between the rt headlights and the radiator. It has a 4" tube on the motor side and a flat plate that the air has to go around (kind of like the headlight like Dave talked about) before entering the intake tube. I'll have to get pics of this and post them. I'll probably have time this afternoon.

Don

"gully washer", frog strangler, loblolly, or in your case, the regular afternoon thunderstorms; people who haven't lived in the Houston area won't understand.

IMHO, the intake pipe is mostly protected from direct rain entry by the headlight. Worst case scenario; the half of the filter facing the opening gets soaked.
That leaves the other half to 'breathe' through. In a downpour, you probably won't be running with the pedal to the metal.
Gravity will tend to settle the water to the bottom of the filter housing.

Just don't try do drive accross a bayou without a bridge! ;)

Yep, the headlight and grill will take the brunt of any impact's, but dragon flys and leaves will still find their way in. Rain will mostly be blocked. Im going to cut some reliefs in the parking light also to let more air get back into that area.
I wont be fording any rivers, atleast not more than 1.5' deep.
Have you ever seen the intake setup from the early 6.2 NA motors? It's very similar to what you have except the filter isn't directly behind the core support.

I've got an 83 and the intake is in the radiator core support, between the rt headlights and the radiator. It has a 4" tube on the motor side and a flat plate that the air has to go around (kind of like the headlight like Dave talked about) before entering the intake tube. I'll have to get pics of this and post them. I'll probably have time this afternoon.

Don

I think I have seen that and can picture it in my head. Some pics would be great.
Basicaly its just the air inlet that go's to grill area and filter is in the big round canister on intake right?

Got some battery trays made up and fitted in.
Have a turnbuckle that will raise and lower the batteries. I set them on hinges so they can pivot down for R&R'ing them.
This pic shows the up position.
DSCN3108.JPG
DSCN3109.JPG
Down position.
DSCN3110.JPG
Down with batteries.
DSCN3112.JPG
and up with bats.
DSCN3115.JPG
DSCN3116.JPG

This is going to open up valuable real estate in the engine compartment and transfer some weight to between the axles instead of hanging over the centerline of the front axle/s.

Thank you.

Im going to add another support to take the load off the turnbuckle. Also adding a heavy duty quick disconnect junction. It will be for jump starting/charging the bats. The connector is like you might see on a winch. I'll get a picture latter.
Has anyone seen some real heavy duty battery terminals for a side post? Im planning to use one of those converter things to hook up top post cables to the side.

Yep, the headlight and grill will take the brunt of any impact's, but dragon flys and leaves will still find their way in. Rain will mostly be blocked. Im going to cut some reliefs in the parking light also to let more air get back into that area.
I wont be fording any rivers, atleast not more than 1.5' deep.

I think I have seen that and can picture it in my head. Some pics would be great.
Basicaly its just the air inlet that go's to grill area and filter is in the big round canister on intake right?

Yes, just like the filter cannisters seen on 60s era vehicles.

Here are some pics:

1--The side of the cap visible behind the grill.

2--The back side, there are four notches in the core support opening that match the tabs on the cap. The cap is inserted into the opening and turned slightly to lock the cap into place.

3--This is the whole intake from core support to filter cannister. There are no water drain holes anywhere along the length.
The restrictions on each end of the "muffler" is why I removed and replaced with a full 4" full length tube.

4--This shows the intake cap behind the grill. I think the flat surface that forces the intake air to go around and enter around the edge is what keeps the water droplets from entering with the intake air.

Oops, the last two pics are sideways. Too late to fix, got to go to bed, I've got to be up early for a 500 mile round trip drive tomorrow.

Don

Attachments

• IMGP1353.jpg
    IMGP1353.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMGP1355.jpg
    IMGP1355.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMGP1356.jpg
    IMGP1356.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMGP1358.jpg
    IMGP1358.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 19
I like the idea of the cap. I would not have room where mine is. The headlight support bracket on mine will serve the same function. Thanks for the pics.

It raining here for most of the day and supposed to get cold (for us). So, Ive been meaning to make this tool for awhile and today was the day. I have needed a tool like this before on the last intercooler set up I did as the silicone couplings keeped blowing off. There are more expensive ways of flanging a pipe and normally I would buy the tool, but I rarely need one and this won't take up any more space.
Its just a pair of cheap import vise grips. I have welded a 4" muffler clamp to the lower jaw and shaped a piece of 3/8" steel into a curve to match the clamp in the upper jaw.
Its pretty self explainatory. You just work your way around the pipe then tighten up the tool and go around again, repete til you have the flange built up.

DSCN3123.JPG
DSCN3122.JPG
DSCN3121.JPG
DSCN3120.JPG
DSCN3119.JPG
DSCN3118.JPG
Right side flanged after just a few minutes of working at it. This was my first atempt at it. Left side is untouched.
DSCN3117.JPG

Ive got some long bolts and a piece of aluminium angle. I need to pull the whole thing out for a coat of paint. I'll get some pics of the hold down then.

Did not have much time to work on Burb lately.
Im going to have to ad a spacer between the exhaust and turbo so the inlet to turbo is unubstructed by the Alt. Here are some pics of the rough idea. It will be shorter than in the pic.
All is 100% stainless. Im going to have a pro weld it for me. My welding is to ugly. Also will add a pyro probe port to it.
DSCN3133.JPG
DSCN3134.JPG
DSCN3135.JPG
DSCN3136.JPG

Back