• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Isuzu 4BD2T diesel swap into Suburban

Yes, in a couple pics above you can see the allignment.
Im going to start on the alt today as its supossed to rain all day.

A good thing worked out for me today. I was able to get ahold of a 22SI alt and fit it up today. The 22SI is much more common and available in higher amperages and also come with the tach output.
The alt is physicaly big and the mounting points were simular enough to use the stock Isuzu bracket I just had to come up with some spacers and bolts. The alt has 2 belts. What is strange is the water pump is driven by three belts two share the alt and the third is dedicated with its own idler pulley. I guess Isuzu wanted to make sure the water pump worked.
I tried every alt I own as you can see the pile at the bottom of the pic.

Im planning at this point to remote mount the turbo to the pass side

DSCN3018.JPGDSCN3019.JPG

Couple more of A/C brackets
DSCN3020.JPGDSCN3021.JPG

A good thing worked out for me today. I was able to get ahold of a 22SI alt and fit it up today. The 22SI is much more common and available in higher amperages and also come with the tach output.
The alt is physicaly big and the mounting points were simular enough to use the stock Isuzu bracket I just had to come up with some spacers and bolts. The alt has 2 belts. What is strange is the water pump is driven by three belts two share the alt and the third is dedicated with its own idler pulley. I guess Isuzu wanted to make sure the water pump worked.
I tried every alt I own as you can see the pile at the bottom of the pic.

Im planning at this point to remote mount the turbo to the pass side

View attachment 30589View attachment 30590

Couple more of A/C brackets
View attachment 30591View attachment 30592

That doesn't always work out, this fall my alt. belt broke on my combine, it took 5 other belts with it. Lovely job changing them.:rolleyes5:

Well Im looking for a new Delco 28SI alt now. They are 180-200 amp, have the same mounting and have a remote battery voltage teminal. This extra terminal as I understand it hooks to the battery and tells the alt how many volts it has. The alt can keep the batteries in better condition and recharge them in about 1/2 the time. Also from what I learned is without this feature a guage can show 14 volts, but that does'int mean the batteries are seeing it. The output of the 28SI is very low in the rpm range also. Supposed to be good for 300k miles. Same alt as alot of big rigs run.

Got some motor mount pads made up. Its a plate 3/8" thick. I drilled appropriate size holes and welded a nut to it. This plate will be reinforced with "C" channel and then welded to the frame.
Will be trial fitting it tomorrow.
DSCN3023.JPGDSCN3024.JPGDSCN3025.JPGDSCN3026.JPGDSCN3028.JPG

Most do, but their not hooked up is my understanding. The 28SI is easyest for my mounting set up.

Getting closer to a final install. I am going to plan C for the motor mounts. Im going to try off setting the mounts attached to the engine side. once I can set the engine inplace I can start on all the other needed fab (and alot of it) like the 4" down pipe. I/C pipes, Air filter...........list go's on. Bought a new Energy Suspention trans mount today. I broke the old one and it was very worn anyway.
Starter looks like if will fit!! I was sweating that one. I turned it upside down on its mounting to gain clearence.
Turbo is a Holset 341 with 4" outlet. Its going to be a real cool down pipe.
Last pic shows pulley to condenser clearence. Its going to be very tight to get a I/C in there. I might go aftermarket I/C? I did one on my Cummins 6BT convertion because there was even less room.
DSCN3031.JPGDSCN3032.JPGDSCN3033.JPGDSCN3034.JPGDSCN3035.JPGDSCN3036.JPG

have you thought about this for a location:
intercooler2.jpg

intercooler.jpg

Thats where it would go. It looks very simular to my Cummins swap. Really its about the only place it can go if it will not fit in the stack.

Finally made some real progress. Got the driver side motor mount done

DSCN3037.JPG
DSCN3038.JPG
The hoses you see here were for the oil supply and return for the old Isuzu vac pump. Im going to install a bypass oil filter here.
DSCN3039.JPG
Cut some 3/8" plate to size then drill holes to bolt it to the block. Tapped some 3/8 x 16 threads into the plate for the Isuzu mount to bolt to.
DSCN3040.JPG

DSCN3041.JPG
DSCN3042.JPG

DSCN3043.JPG
DSCN3044.JPG

Still have to weld the base plate to the frame and finish the pass side.

DSCN3045.JPG

Thank you. Going to try and finish pass side today. Then I can really start making progress.

Got the engine in its final resting place. Just need to weld the plates to the frame.
The driver side is 3/8" higher than pass side to allow for clearence of the A/C comp.
I was able to start looking at other things like intercooler placement, turbo issues, fuel lines.
Going to install the drive shaft tomorrow.
Below are pics of the starter modifcation. Only two of the three bolts are symetrical. The third one gets in the way, so I cut it off. This allows the starter to be rotated almost 180*.
DSCN3046.JPGDSCN3047.JPGDSCN3048.JPGDSCN3050.JPG

Hey Deejaaa, I bought another 4bd2 yesterday. Its coming from NY for $975 shipped.

Also, I wound up sticking with a 22SI alt. Got a brand new AC Delco 160 amp for $135. After talking with some experts they say the remote senseing is not nessesary on my app. They are designed more for apps that have the batteries a long way from the alt, like a mobile home.

Back