• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Intake project

Good , that's what I'd do with my ported heads . I would do a " line of sight " with the runners . That looks like a lot of taper on the runners and very short for the intended RPMs . You'd be doing great if that causes the heads to only lose 5 CFM .

Watching and learning.

I like the PWR barrel-style W/A coolers and keep air direction changes to a minimum. Dreaming I would like one incorporated directly in route from turbo to central intake. Or doing the big box W/A central to feed your intake runners?

I like that the intake will be taller and allow the IP to have less oven like environment and Maybe even help the valley of the engine shed a little heat.

Well I have the runners welded up, I think they are too tall.

I have 2 different coolers to chose from below, only 1" difference in the height so the taller one would be my choice.

I already have the Holley flange to mate the above to on hand but first looks tells me the bottom intake is going to be too tall so I will shorten the runners some once I get the measurements right. later today I will make a firm measurement to see what my max room is..

aluminum intake 001.JPG
aluminum intake 002.JPG

I'm thinking cutting 2" off square to the top, ( red line ) or maybe cut the blue line, both should give me room to form the plenum and have that large enough..
aluminum intake 001.JPG

Good , that's what I'd do with my ported heads . I would do a " line of sight " with the runners . That looks like a lot of taper on the runners and very short for the intended RPMs . You'd be doing great if that causes the heads to only lose 5 CFM .

I want straight runners, and these are longer than stock but as can be seen they may be too long to fab a plenum, so more designing to come, and yes they may or may not have too much funnel/taper..

This was along a test piece to see what needs addressing, once it' put together I will install it on the truck and see what else needs changing...

Well I have the runners welded up, I think they are too tall.

I have 2 different coolers to chose from below, only 1" difference in the height so the taller one would be my choice.

I already have the Holley flange to mate the above to on hand but first looks tells me the bottom intake is going to be too tall so I will shorten the runners some once I get the measurements right. later today I will make a firm measurement to see what my max room is..

View attachment 58935
View attachment 58938

I'm thinking cutting 2" off square to the top, ( red line ) or maybe cut the blue line, both should give me room to form the plenum and have that large enough..
View attachment 58945
Those intercooler tops are cool, but you have the skills so why not make your own and save some money? Just get a nice brick and use aluminum sheet to make the rest.

I like where you’re going with this. I was thinking an intake with an integrated intercooler core would be the berries if nothing else just for improved packaging, I’ll be interested to see how yours turns out.

Well I went back to the cad and drew another set of parts, after installing the other side of runners even cutting them down they are crowding the IP more than I like.

I drew another set that tilt outward and back 10* and shortened them to 100mm from 175mm.. This should tilt them outwards and I can arrange the 2 front runners to tilt back and the 2 rear runners forward and maybe consolidate the mannie some...

Nate I have considered making my own cooler and haven't given up that thought yet...

With your impressive fabrication and welding skills, have you considered instead of fabbing up tapered runners that are double beveled on the port end so that they rise vertically from the flange and also cant towards the center of the valley, doing it with a CURVED tapered shape (not a cone, but the rectangular shape to match the ports, but that rectangle curves towards the valley center to help eliminate a sharp, angular transition at the flange)?

I know we're dealing with a forced air system, so the "normal" flow rules that govern N/A gassers and manifold flow design don't completely apply, but curving the tapered rectangular runners would make for a more compact package that should give you more than sufficient IP clearance and also be damn fine looking, too!

Well this all is trial and error... I'm attempting to have all the runners the same length, I thought different designs, if the famed IP wasn't in the valley things would be much more workable, but it is what it is..
I knew this would take several attempts to work things out... if I knew how to make 3D cad models it would be much easier but I don't so the old manual way is what I do.. it's only r&d money, ya can't take it with you unless it's in the ride....

The old tried and true method before 3D CAD - cardboard templates and cellophane tape! I don't believe under forced induction, that equal length runners is nearly as critical as it is in N/A applications as the entire volume of the manifold is under pressure and you're not trying to "draw" the intake air charge into the combustion chamber through a pulse-tuned runner. I may be wrong, I'm just trying to recall what I learned in Applied Physics in college 30+ years ago and what I learned as a little kid at my dad's knee building 675hp N/A 327's for our sprint car with some technical assistance from Vic Edelbrock Jr.

Back