• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

instrument cluster no dic

duramaxdude

Reaction score
so i have my instrument cluster dissasembled and ive been fooling around with it for a few hours trying to fix my dic. (the display that reads ur mpg, odometre, and stuff) i could turn it on by pushing on the cluster when it was in the truck then that didnt work anymore. So i took it apart and now its sitting on my bench i have 12volt power hooked up to it and i just cant pin point the problem.

as i flex the circuit board it turns on and then turns off. im out of ideas on how to find the problem i took a bright light over it and still no luck finding anything. Im wondering if u guys would have some ideas.

My brother in law has an 06 with the same problem. He is convinced it is the connector itself and keeps saying he is going to solder the pins to the connect as soon as he gets a chance. He has chased that problem for 6 months. idk if that is really it.

Can you recreate the problem on the bench?

Infamous GM cold solder joints. Get a good soldering iron meant for doing circuit board work, and go over and redo all of the solder joints on the board. I just had to fix my aunts cluster this morning for a cold solder that cracked. Takes a little bit of time to go through and redo all of them, but it is alot cheaper than getting a rebuilt cluster for $220.

yup i am costantly recreating the problem. i just cant pin point it. its deffinelty a loose or cracked sodder. I think ill have to take THEFERMANATORs advice im sick of this crap already. GM electronic garbage

yup i am costantly recreating the problem. i just cant pin point it. its deffinelty a loose or cracked sodder. I think ill have to take THEFERMANATORs advice im sick of this crap already. GM electronic garbage

Just be happy you don't have to deal with Chrysler's CAN-BUS System.

Back