• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

installing blocker plate/finger stick AND code P0403 question

i'm not here to rain on your guys' parade at all but there are many many instances of the fingerstick failing and causing the codes to show anyway.

the only way to guarantee the codes not showing or setting a cel and passing emissions with a egr blocked or removed is efi live. for a $99 license you don't have to splice anything into your harness and have the peace of mind knowing that you will not have any issues

i'm not here to rain on your guys' parade at all but there are many many instances of the fingerstick failing and causing the codes to show anyway.

the only way to guarantee the codes not showing or setting a cel and passing emissions with a egr blocked or removed is efi live. for a $99 license you don't have to splice anything into your harness and have the peace of mind knowing that you will not have any issues

X2.. Henry (Creatures of the Night) actually has a V2 he can ship out to the customer so there is no down time involved if you don't want to swing the full price of EFILive.

or if you guys want to buy a vin license and come down my way i could do it with my v2 and maybe bump up your tune a little while i'm at it ;-)

x2 on that.

Now, I'm no expert and obviously I'm new to blocking the egr and using a FS but this is the first time I've heard that that solution is anything other than "solid".

see I learn something new everyday.
so, without taking a poll, should I get the egr fixed before I proceed with the installation?

No doubt about it, EFI Live is the way to go. If you go the finger stick route, here is another perspective for instructions and explanations.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Finger Stick Install.pdf

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax_LLY_LBZ_Emissions.htm

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Blocker package FAQ.pdf

Hope this helps a little.

the finger stick troubleshooting... these are all known problems.

Q: I have DTC P0299.
A: You didn’t install the blocker plate did you?
Q: I have DTC P0101.
A. This indicated a problem with the installation or the stick. In short, it isn’t working at
all.
Q: I have DTC P0401 and/or P0404.
A. Stick is working, but there is a bad connection to the EGR. (blue wire)
Q: I have a DTC P0402
A: It is likely that you have an aftermarket air intake. Try switching back to the OE
intake. This will likely cure it.
Q: I have a DTC P0403
A: P0403 is an indication of a problem with the EGR Servo motor electronics and is
unrelated to the Finger Stick which will neither cause nor cure this code.
Q: I have DTC P046C
A: The EGR valve itself is having problems. Remove the stick and plate. You will be
going to the dealer to get it repaired. The Stick needs to have a functioning EGR valve to
do its work.

for the efi license you can just sit back and relax knowing that NONE of these problems will cause a cel on your truck or cause it to go into limp mode.

Now the part I'm dreading is taking her to the stealer for the egr - I have very limited access to a decent dealer.....at least one that is proficient with the d-max's...even though this is a emissions issue and not necessarily diesel related.

I just spent all weekend with Fingers at the ALMS/Indy Car race. In the course of conversation, we of course discussed the fingersticks. He still makes them, and his failure rate is ridiculously low. The latest version is much thinner and more robust than the earlier ones. Frankly, most stick issues are user error on install......

I would definitely get the EGR fixed/replaced before putting the stick and plate in.

I just spent all weekend with Fingers at the ALMS/Indy Car race. In the course of conversation, we of course discussed the fingersticks. He still makes them, and his failure rate is ridiculously low. The latest version is much thinner and more robust than the earlier ones. Frankly, most stick issues are user error on install......
I figured the install errors were the likely problems over the years.
Glad to hear Fingers is still around!

I would definitely get the EGR fixed/replaced before putting the stick and plate in.

OK, I def. get the egr fixed first.

Thanks

OK, I need to go do some googling on efi live - I obviously did not understand the way the licensing worked. The price I saw in the mags always scared the poop outta me.

If you know someone that has a V2 (EFILive), they can use a license and program your unit for just $99. With the purchase of a new V2, you can program two free trucks, then $99 each truck after that.

I've had my fingerstick in and out 3 times and no problems still works good. It isn't hard to install. You may need to have the egr motor replaced. Mine was replaced under warrenty.

EGR motor is covered under the 3 year 36k, not the 100k warranty. Thats why I didn't have it fixed, blocked it and then had stacks efi it!

I would just buy an EGR delete Kit and still use the finger stick...or use EFI live to program afterwards instead of the finger stick

This truly is the best way to go but a finger stick will not stop all the codes you are going to get...:hihi:

I would stick to the blocker plate and finger stick. EFI live can be a dangerous thing....:eek:

I spent some time looking at the EGR delete instructions on Tony's site when I did the plate and FS. Looks to be pretty involved unless you're fairly experienced with and have a good set of tools. I did not look to see if Henry had good instructions since I was going with something he does not have (plate and FS).

Back