• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

installing blocker plate/finger stick AND code P0403 question

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
OK, gotta nice little score today. I was doing some work a couple of counties from home today and dropped in on a friend of mine at his business. I noticed when I pulled up that his 06 LBZ was not in the parking lot....but there was a 2011 Dmax in it's place. I was harassing him about buying the new truck and he was telling me how Bully Dog gave him a great credit on his old tuner when he traded it in on a new one. We were talking about the 5" exhaust he put on his LBZ and I asked if he ever blocked the EGR. He said "No, and I got that blocker plate and wiring thingy that came with it laying on my desk......been there for over a year"...to which I responded "you probably know some ole poor redneck that just MIGHT have a LBZ that blocker plate will work with". He said "you're pathectic" as he dug around on his desk under blueprints and crap and produce a brand new, shiny stainless steel blocker plate and finger stick. He handed it to me and said "Merry Christmas."

Now for my question(s). I've been getting the P0403 EGR Control Circuit code for the past couple of weeks. I know the dealer is just probably going to clean it and reset the code. Do I even need to worry with it since I'm installing the blocker plate and finger stick?

2nd question; He thinks this blocker plate is from Bully Dog, but he can't remember. Do all finger sticks wire in the same way? The only info I have by looking at the items is the blocker plate is laser etched on one side "LBZ" and the finger stick is much better quality (looking) and the wiring looks to be a heavier gauge than others. The center is heat shrink wrapped with thick shrink tubing and has written in white paint/pen LBZ.

Thanks
Smitty

Last edited:
after some googling, it appears that most finger sticks are wired and work the same way. Still going to wait for a confirmation from some of you 'experts' before I start hacking wires and soldering. ;)

My guess is they are wired the same since they are all used to block the same code(s).

Have you found any with their instructions online that you can compare?

Last edited:
Pretty sure they are all the same. IIRC, the thread you (Odlaw) started has all the info in it plus my trials and tribulations included.

I would have the dealer fix the code before putting the stick in. IIRC, the stick will prevent certain codes and not others. Also please solder all the connections. Saves headaches in the future.

Any photos of the blocker plate and finger stick? I think they all pretty much came from Fingers back in the day. I specifically remember something about the codes. There is sequence that you have to do for clearing the code. I just can't remember whether it is before or after you do the install. It does make a difference. I would check with either Kennedy or Fingers himself. Kennedy has a nice set of instructions online. Very informative.

Any photos of the blocker plate and finger stick? I think they all pretty much came from Fingers back in the day. I specifically remember something about the codes. There is sequence that you have to do for clearing the code. I just can't remember whether it is before or after you do the install. It does make a difference. I would check with either Kennedy or Fingers himself. Kennedy has a nice set of instructions online. Very informative.
Check this one from Tony's site.http://allseasondieselperformance.com/documentation/fingerstickinstall.pdf
I used these instructions and they were good.

Pretty sure they are all the same. IIRC, the thread you (Odlaw) started has all the info in it plus my trials and tribulations included.

Hey BT, are you talking about this one started by Marauder? http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...ger-Stick-PCV-Reroute.&highlight=finger+stick

I can't find any post that I started regarding blocker plates or finger sticks.....but, at 46, I'm pretty much staring 50 square in the tailpipe, so I could have forgotten also. ;)
Smitty

sorry i just got into this thread,

be very weary of that finger stick. some work and some do not and some fail after a while. it might be your truck or the stick but either way it is not a 100% good fix for the egr codes, i strongly recommend an efi tune even if it is just to eliminate the egr codes so if / when you go for emissions you will not be chasing problems.

jmho :)

sorry i just got into this thread,

be very weary of that finger stick. some work and some do not and some fail after a while. it might be your truck or the stick but either way it is not a 100% good fix for the egr codes, i strongly recommend an efi tune even if it is just to eliminate the egr codes so if / when you go for emissions you will not be chasing problems.

jmho :)
Not disagreeing but I already had the Predator and wanted the most economical way around the EGR. The FS was the low $ method. If I was starting from scratch, I'd do EFI from the get-go.

Not disagreeing but I already had the Predator and wanted the most economical way around the EGR. The FS was the low $ method. If I was starting from scratch, I'd do EFI from the get-go.

x2 on that.

Now, I'm no expert and obviously I'm new to blocking the egr and using a FS but this is the first time I've heard that that solution is anything other than "solid".

see I learn something new everyday.
so, without taking a poll, should I get the egr fixed before I proceed with the installation?

I would take it in and see what the trouble is because the finger stick will not stop the P0403 code.

Back