• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injectors Replace

Hill Top

Reaction score
I'm installing a AT Turbo when it gets here, thought I might install new injectors while the turbo is off. What injectors should I use? Marine worth it? Any input appreciated.

Marine injectors help dump a little more fuel, or you can increase pop pressure to a higher level and get the advantages of better misting and the same golume of fuel as regular injectors. No matter what injectors you get, have them all balanced to pop within 25 psi of each other. That really make the engine power more balanced and can accelerate to top rpm quicker, as well as smoother idle.

Bosch India kinda gets a bad rep unfairly. They are good injectors, but just not as good as the German made Bosch.

What's up with your Injection pump?

Any reason why you want to replace the injectors? I think a lot of people replace injectors when it really isn't necessary.

Personally I would pull them and have them tested to check the pop pressures and spray pattern. I've only replaced one set over the years, and even in that case I could have gotten away with replacing just the nozzle on the two that had a poor spray.

It has always been my understanding the marine injectors are a bit overkill for these engines. I would go with a healthy set of stock Bosch injectors and balance them out as Will said. Unless there are big power plans for the motor, I think you would be just fine with stock.

Anyone know if the German Bosch injectors are even still available? Seems most sources have dried up and all I see are the ones made in India...

-Nick

German Bosch are long gone. Ebay is the only hope for that, but if you watch for them, some pop up occasionally.

Rebuilding or replacing injectors ahead of time can be the difference of burning holes and pistons. Like replacing the harmonic balancer- way too soon or often is just a waste of money. One hour too late is a lot more money.

New nozzles and properly rebuilt is same as new injectors.the body never wears out- unless you are in rusty area, then maybe issues could arise I guess.

I did put a new IP on maybe 4000 mls ago, I don't think the injectors are working properly, it blows white smoke and runs rough at start up then smooths out. The injectors look to have been replaced in the past and I'm thinking maybe their some cheap china knockoffs or something. I had a new clutch and throwout bearing put in because the old bearing just came apart. The mechanic seemed proud to tell me he set the timing up, since then it seems to be hard to start when the engine is warm.

New or rebuilt pump? It may need more timing advance to clear the white smoke. The 1995 burb I have in the carnage thread is a good example of one trip too many on OEM injectors. Like 177K on them, 1 let go, and what was left of the #8 piston was pounded out with a 10# sledge hammer. The coolant in the oil even wiped the turbo out.

New or rebuilt pump? It may need more timing advance to clear the white smoke. The 1995 burb I have in the carnage thread is a good example of one trip too many on OEM injectors. Like 177K on them, 1 let go, and what was left of the #8 piston was pounded out with a 10# sledge hammer. The coolant in the oil even wiped the turbo out.

Rebuilt pump, but with all new internals. They said better than new pump gave a 1 yr unlimited mileage warranty.

Only problem ive seen with marines is heavy fueling down low if pop pressure is left at 2000-2100. While it is ok to help spool a tad quicker, bigger smoke cloud is a result. Most peoples driving doesn't require a max dig take off, and it comprimises mpg if any amount of city driving is frequent.

The pump question was wondering about any extra fueling built in before the injectors.

New head and rotor? Otherwise worn head and rotor may contribute to the issue "hot".

Bad China injectors start hard and this isn't the end all test:

New head and rotor? Otherwise worn head and rotor may contribute to the issue "hot".

Bad China injectors start hard and this isn't the end all test:

Yes new head and rotor, that vid is very similar to what I'm experiencing. Also when it's warm has long time cranking before it starts like it did before I had the pump rebuilt.

Yeah fix it (injectors) before it blows the starter... Only other possibility is air in fuel. I assume you have already run a clear tube off the IP looking for air when cranking?

Yeah fix it (injectors) before it blows the starter... Only other possibility is air in fuel. I assume you have already run a clear tube off the IP looking for air when cranking?

Yep clear hose off the IP, no bubbles.

Be careful with the so called "Marine" injector.

A lot of them are made in China also.

The real Bosch marine injector will set you back around $600 to $800 for the set.
So, if they are not at that price, it is probably fake.

I did put a new IP on maybe 4000 mls ago, I don't think the injectors are working properly, it blows white smoke and runs rough at start up then smooths out. The injectors look to have been replaced in the past and I'm thinking maybe their some cheap china knockoffs or something. I had a new clutch and throwout bearing put in because the old bearing just came apart. The mechanic seemed proud to tell me he set the timing up, since then it seems to be hard to start when the engine is warm.

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I'm assuming you have already verified that all the glow plugs are good and getting power correct? If these are cold start symptoms, that would be my first look.

Prior to my last IP taking a dump, it was intermittently doing exactly what you described for almost a year. Hot and cold starts. Pump replacement did solve the issue.

You still may be on the right path looking at the injectors...Definitely worth a pop test at the very least.

-Nick

I know this may seem like a stupid question, but I'm assuming you have already verified that all the glow plugs are good and getting power correct? If these are cold start symptoms, that would be my first look.

Prior to my last IP taking a dump, it was intermittently doing exactly what you described for almost a year. Hot and cold starts. Pump replacement did solve the issue.

You still may be on the right path looking at the injectors...Definitely worth a pop test at the very least.

-Nick

Yes glow plugs are working fine, in fact they are new. It starts right up when cold just runs rough and blows out white smoke for a bit just like WW vid above.

I'm opting to go with a rebuilt set of standard injectors. The only difference between rebuilt and new are the bodies. With new Bosch nozzles and POP guaranteed to be within 20 lbs of each other and a 1 year warranty. Though the marine injectors have the ability to flow more fuel, I'm not set up to deliver it and most aren't, so the extra 250 really just wasted. The high pop on the marine will cause better atomization but again with a stock setup I'd never know the difference. The real advantage of the marine injectors can never be realized in 90 per cent of applications. Also as time goes by and the IP begins to weaken it will have less trouble working against the lower POP of the standard injectors thus maybe getting a few more miles from the IP before a change. I just want it to run good. The marine injectors won't do any thing noticeable for me. So better to spend the money elsewhere.

Only problem ive seen with marines is heavy fueling down low if pop pressure is left at 2000-2100. While it is ok to help spool a tad quicker, bigger smoke cloud is a result. Most peoples driving doesn't require a max dig take off, and it comprimises mpg if any amount of city driving is frequent.

The pump question was wondering about any extra fueling built in before the injectors.

This^^^^^. I've got Bosch Marine injectors and an ATT on the '99 and it smokes. Up at 6,750' in Big Bear it looks like an old coal fired locomotive. I actually had some asshat in a Volvo report me as a polluter to CARB. I simply sent them my smog paperwork and noted the altitude.

I'm having the same rough start which smooths out after about 30 seconds. No white smoke. This after installing new reman IP. I'm think injectors were damaged after the water in fuel event that took out the IP. It's not coding or setting the SES light. Based on PO's records, I think these injectors have 83K miles, so they're about done and my next job is to replace them.

Back