• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injectors Due

Badaxe

Reaction score
Well as I soon approach 150K miles it is safe to say the injectors are past due. Probably stock. So my question is what do I buy and where do I buy? The biggest things I struggle to get my head around, after reading several of the previous posts on this site and others, are ..............

1. Price
2. New vs Used(rebuilt) vs rebuild my own
3. Now people are saying to have em' pop tested even if they're new

I realize this sounds goofy and is not a woe is me post, but I'm starting to stress a little over this one primarily because of possible costs. There are three little ones at home and my wife has been in a hospital more than out this year(God willing the latest stay will be the last for a long time). Money is tight and budgeting parts has to be planned. I got "junkyard" money (You-Pull-It has a dozen late 90 Burbs) from the kids for my birthday and planned on replacing second and third row seats with ones that have headrests. But I know injectors are over due and it's starting to get bad IP behavior God forbid.

So surfing e-bay as a reference; a used set runs as low as $20, a rebuilt set starts at $150, and new are $200 on up. So again I ask where to buy, what to buy and what to watch for?

--Cody

Ideally, new pop tested injectors would be the way to go. If you are on a budget, a set of rebuilts from a reputable shop will be fine.

Thanks y'all. I'm also watching a few sets that are shy of the $200 range. Such as.............

You are buying a set of 8 (eight) 6.5 liter Turbo remanufactured diesel fuel injectors.

0 430 211 097

These injectors are rebuilt by Mylex International
to meet OEM specifications.
We use aftermarket nozzles (made in Italy) that in our opinion
atomize better than the OEM nozzles.

Injectors will fit 6.5 liter applications with Turbo .

Check my about "ME" page to see more about our company. The "ME" link beside my ebay ID.
** NO CORE CHARGE **
** NO CORE DUE BACK **

He has good reviews too. Just switched out PMDs tonight, I'll see how it runs tomorrow; it's been bogging down under 40mph during acceleration, and then will also continue picking up speed over 60mph when you lift your foot. With the recent hard starts and DTC 36 showing up, we will see what happens going home tomorrow morning.

The injectors marked "Mylex" are not anything I would sink my money into.

Moneyslave injectors or having the originals rebuilt with bosch nozzles by a local reputable shop would be your most economical bet.
Having a set of Moneyslave injectors pop tested would be the best bet if it was in the finances simply for piece of mind,that way you are sure of what you have and that they are brand new.

I bought the HO injectors new from Heath a couple years back, but they have gone up, significantly in price since then. I replaced them around 167,000, I think. I did mine just because I had concerns of aged injectors causing a major engine failure at some point. I had no symptoms I was trying to cure.

The injectors marked "Mylex" are not anything I would sink my money into.

Moneyslave injectors or having the originals rebuilt with bosch nozzles by a local reputable shop would be your most economical bet.
Having a set of Moneyslave injectors pop tested would be the best bet if it was in the finances simply for piece of mind,that way you are sure of what you have and that they are brand new.

I too was thinking of Mylex since they are $150 but I just got my first 6.5. After reading LOTS on TTS and DP, I decided that new factory injectors ARE THE WAY to go at less than $300. Its that or a melted piston. Moneyslave's injectors have gone up in price because he had them all sent off and pop tested. He will also send you the name and number of the shop if you want to verify.

Good to know about moneyslave's injectors being tested already.
Would it be safe to imagine that they were set to specs at that time?

Well I didn't get an engine light until almost home this time, a very slight fishbite on a brand new PMD. Ran great other than that. Fuel filter is only a few months old and lift pump passed the "hotwire the G port" test.

A bad OPS will affect LP's on 94-95 trucks. The relays in the OPS can fail causing loss of power to the LP.

The OPS is within a year new. How hard is it to rebuild the injectors? Is there a kit? Have any of y'all done it?

The OPS is within a year new. How hard is it to rebuild the injectors? Is there a kit? Have any of y'all done it?

Just a note. You have to test it, age got nothing to do with whether it is working.

It used to that age plays an important role but with China made parts, nothing can be trusted anymore even with 1 seconds in operation.

It is sort of becoming part of the maintenance that once in a while you may want to open the t-valve, not only for water draining but to test OPS.

There is a way to add relay to override the OPS as the current carrying electricity to the LP, makes the LP more reliable.

I've seen genuine Bosch marine nozzles on ebay before, IDK if you want the marines. Lots of Chinese nozzles there to stay away from. I don't know if any vendors carry them or not. Hopefully someone can give advise.

Just a note. You have to test it, age got nothing to do with whether it is working.

It used to that age plays an important role but with China made parts, nothing can be trusted anymore even with 1 seconds in operation.

It is sort of becoming part of the maintenance that once in a while you may want to open the t-valve, not only for water draining but to test OPS.

There is a way to add relay to override the OPS as the current carrying electricity to the LP, makes the LP more reliable.

Applies to just changed filters also a bad load of fuel can be had at anytime happened to me on a recently changed filter that was partially restricted, also pin G test lets you know it is working at idle and a weak lift may have plenty of fuel at idle b ut be falling off at load, and reason to run with a gauge in cab while running down highway. Bad injectors generally do not cause fishbite, you may need injectors if at hi miles but we need to completely diagnose the fishbite that it isn't one of the normal causes.

I know the injectors aren't causing the FB, but based on the mileage, amount of effort and smoke when starting after it sits a few days, it's safe to say they are due. Anything in the triple digit price range requires planning of budget place and time. We used to be able to turn a wrench or two "after hours"/nights and weekends working 48hr shifts at the fire house until someone decided to wash their vehicle during lunch knowing Risk Management was inspecting stations. So until it blows over the "shop" is closed.

It has never run like a raped ape, more like an ape with plumbers crack, but the recent and sudden sluggishness, FB, surging, and code 36 I've got to figure out. I'll drop a new filter later and go from there. The LP has been suspect in the past, and God forbid it be a IP issue.

Do you run any lube such as 2-stroke oil or non detergent 30 wt? Sometimes that will help with the code 36 if the IP is getting weak.

Back