• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm in the process of doing the ifs swap to leaf spring straight axle front end. Was wondering what axle I need. Was told 78 to 79 Ford 1 ton.

Jared Jones

Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing the ifs swap to leaf spring straight axle front end. Was wondering what axle I need. Was told 78 to 79 Ford 1 ton.

Many people on the newer trucks go with the super duty front axles. They are a ball joint axle, but you can get hd rebuildable ball joints for them, free spin hub kits with regular hubs, retain your abs, and keep big brakes. Many go with the 77.5-79 f-350 dana 60 because it had a 32.5" leaf spring pad spacing and king pins, but many argue the ball joints are just as strong(just tend to not last as long). If it was mine, I would run a 05+ Ford super duty with coil springs and radius rods instead of leaf springs. They handle much better, turn sharper, clear bigger tires, have massive brakes, and retain abs.

I think the biggest thing is to get the pumpkin on the correct side to match the transfer case. Unless there's some better brake kits I think that would be a step backwards brake wise.
There are many brake upgrades to include quad front calipers too for DANA 60, quads can even be fabricated for many rear diffs too.

If you can find one, get the 78-79 Dana 60. You can buy caliper brackets to retain your factory front brakes and have the hub machined to keep your ABS. You get to keep factory lug pattern as well.

Back