• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm cool, do you think I'm cool? I think I'm cool. (question on being cool)

Update on this thread...
I just finished up removing Kennedy's fan clutch and 20" fan and the '97 HO water pump and installed the 2000 balanced flow pump, Hayden 2886 HD fan clutch, and 21" Duramax fan. All from Leroy.
I was seeing way hotter temps while towing than I wanted with the unbalanced flow pump and never did hear the fan kick in so I'm hoping that this will be the final solution here.
I already can hear the difference in the fan noise but I will have to wait till warmer temps this summer and do some towing to really tell the difference.

Thanks to @THEFERMANATOR , @Will L. , and everyone else for all the amazing info to get me up to speed with this issue!

Full write up is here!

@Hink
I know this is an old thread.
I have been working on overheating issues with My 2000 K3500 and am curious as to what the final results were after installing the balanced flow water pump and the Hayden 2886 fan clutch.
Thank You very much.
Martin

@Hink
I have been working on overheating issues with My 2000 K3500 and am curious as to what the final results were after installing the balanced flow water pump and the Hayden 2886 fan clutch.
Thank You very much.
Martin
I think his truck ended up being cool. Now @Hink on the other hand.....the jury’s still out on him.....

I was just doing some searching trying to figure out which components will keep My truck running as cool as possible. Whichever radiator I decide on I’m going to send it to Chris so tjat He can do his coating on it before installation.
I do have the Kennedy Diesel fan clutch but, like Hink, I have never heard it engage. I guess I was looking for the roar of the clutch like on the old early 454 gas engine but, even when running above 215 never heard a sound.

@Hink
Thank You very much.
Martin

Marty, I didn't do a number by number comparison like I did with the Champion radiator comparison but if you're wondering if it made an improvement, yes, most definitely.
I personally would do all three (pump, clutch, and fan) and even the Champion at the same time. But, you should already have the right pump and a decent fan on your truck since the balance flow is a 99+.
But my thinking is this; if the pump, etc. hasn't been changed in a while (or ever) or you're unsure of where you stand with them in any way, change them. I keep pretty detailed maintenance records and get frustrated as hell when I'm trying to deal with an issue and can't reference my records so I don't even know where to start. If money is an issue, the system is layered (pump, then clutch, then fan, and finally radiator) so just do the pump first, then work your way out over time.

You'll likely see the biggest improvement with the pump anyway.

Kennedy had a run of defective clutches. He replaced mine and the second one seemed to work better but still not correct. You should hear your fan roar a bit every time you start it in the morning for the first time. When I changed my pump/clutch/fan from the upgraded Kennedy stuff to the balanced flow/Haden/ Duramax fan, it literally blows my hair back a bit at idle when I stick my head under the hood. Makes me feel like a little girl again!

To be clear, this is NOT a bash on Kennedy. He is one of the best people around to work with. It was just a bad batch of clutches that he immediately took care of.

BTW, this is all assuming that you have thoroughly cleaned your cooling stack.

And @n8in8or, have you looked in the mirror lately? : )>

Last edited:
The adjustability of the electroviscous Should outweigh the lower onset of the kennedy or Hayden because you can simply choose where you want it to come on. As far as maximum lock up percentage, the higher percentage the better. When I asked Kennedy on the phone about it some years back, his estimate was about 5% higher.

I tried looking up the electroviscous and couldn’t find anything. @ak diesel driver if you have the reflector tape type tachometer, could you measure yours?

Thank You everyone for the replies.
A while back, maybe a year or less, the original coolant pump started leaking, rellaced it with one from NAPA. I was really eyeballing Leroys WP but just could not have the truck disabled at the time due to the depth of the snow. The Kennedy Diesel clutch came on shortly after the WP and I had not got time to remove the radiator for a close inspection and most likely replacing that regardless of its condition. I believe there are radiators out there that flow more than the stock unit, like the Champion that Hink speaks of. Regardless of which radiator, it will get the coating treatment from Chris before installation.
I will check out the fan clutch further and if it seems it is not kicking on at cold engine startup, I will contact Kennedy Diesel and explain the situation to Him. I know from reading that He is a very fair man to deal with and would never bash his products and abilities.
I now have the right arm in a sling from this rotator cuff surgery so it will be winter before I can get the radiator out of the truck and inspected. I just cant help to think that it is partially plugged, internally and externally to cause the temps to climb as high as they did, especially for not towing and no load in the box. The ambient temp was 100 and possibly as high as 105 on that day and there is a lot of pretty long and steep grades that We went over.
Coming back home, ambient temp had dropped about ten degrees and we held speed at less than 65 and had no problem at all. Going over we were driving at about 72 to 75 and I think if the wifey had slowed some that just maybe the temps might have dropped a few degrees.
Now it is late in August and the weather is starting to turn, yesterday it didnt hit 80 degrees so it wont be until next summer that another run can be made at over 100 degrees to see if any improvements have been made from the uprated components.
Still three weeks to go to get the brace removed then probably another month before the doc will release this arm to do much twisting on wrenches. LOL

I feel for you on the shoulder. Twelve years ago, following a bad fall accident at work on a set of faulty designed stairs (diamond tread instead of expanded steel mesh, in a slippery wet environment with NO handrail), I tore the Labrum in my left shoulder when I went airborne and landed on my side/outstretched arm at the bottom of the staircase without hitting any steps between the top and bottom of the staircase and had SLAP surgery to repair it. Four months into PT to rehab the shoulder during a PT session doing 30lb Latissimus pull down exercises I felt a sharp pain in that shoulder (prior to the accident, I was going to the gym 4 times a week and was doing sets of 20 reps with 240lbs on Lat pulldowns), the rotator cuff in the same shoulder that had been repaired tore. My surgeon denied that there was anything wrong with my shoulder, it was just "post surgical pain" over the next six months of progress checkups, until the Work Comp Insurance Case Advocate insisted on my getting an MRI (paid for by Work Comp) on that shoulder because of when/where/how I began complaining of that pain. Lo and behold, the MRI showed that I had nearly torn a tendon in my Rotator Cuff in half! So, in a year's time, I had TWO reconstructive surgeries on the same shoulder! BTW, while your PT period may last six months after the R.C. surgery, it does not fully heal for nearly a year. My best friend is a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) and is one of the best shoulder rehab therapists in the US (he works on a lot of college/professional athletes's shoulder surgery rehabs) and told me this following my R.C. surgery. The first surgery therapy was at the clinic Work Comp sent me to, the second surgery, I insisted on Work Comp authorizing me to go to my friend's clinic, where one of his associates was my therapist (professional ethics, friends/family don't treat each other).

So, good luck with the wounded wing, Marty!

Thank You everyone for the replies.
A while back, maybe a year or less, the original coolant pump started leaking, rellaced it with one from NAPA. I was really eyeballing Leroys WP but just could not have the truck disabled at the time due to the depth of the snow. The Kennedy Diesel clutch came on shortly after the WP and I had not got time to remove the radiator for a close inspection and most likely replacing that regardless of its condition. I believe there are radiators out there that flow more than the stock unit, like the Champion that Hink speaks of. Regardless of which radiator, it will get the coating treatment from Chris before installation.
I will check out the fan clutch further and if it seems it is not kicking on at cold engine startup, I will contact Kennedy Diesel and explain the situation to Him. I know from reading that He is a very fair man to deal with and would never bash his products and abilities.
I now have the right arm in a sling from this rotator cuff surgery so it will be winter before I can get the radiator out of the truck and inspected. I just cant help to think that it is partially plugged, internally and externally to cause the temps to climb as high as they did, especially for not towing and no load in the box. The ambient temp was 100 and possibly as high as 105 on that day and there is a lot of pretty long and steep grades that We went over.
Coming back home, ambient temp had dropped about ten degrees and we held speed at less than 65 and had no problem at all. Going over we were driving at about 72 to 75 and I think if the wifey had slowed some that just maybe the temps might have dropped a few degrees.
Now it is late in August and the weather is starting to turn, yesterday it didnt hit 80 degrees so it wont be until next summer that another run can be made at over 100 degrees to see if any improvements have been made from the uprated components.
Still three weeks to go to get the brace removed then probably another month before the doc will release this arm to do much twisting on wrenches. LOL

Do you remember what the pump cost you? That will be a good indicator of whether NAPA gave you the right one. If it was over $200, then you're probably all right.

And yup, I felt the same way about my clutch, I wasn't sure if I wasn't hearing it because my truck was so loud (4" pipe also) or it just wasn't working. But now that I have one that works, it's very clear that I'm hearing the fan on first start up. And it literally blows the weeds under the truck back a bit at idle.

But I think you're on the right track about the radiator. Even though the temperature conditions that you described were extreme, I have towed 6000+ lbs. in hot weather up long grades at 65+ mph and never seen over 207 so the clutch would never have been in the process under those conditions.
You should never have been to the point of your clutch ever being needed, you should have a good pump and a decent fan, so that leaves the radiator.

I’ll see if I can find the receipt for that coolant pump. If not, I’m sure I wrote it in the maintenance log. Call NAPA with the date and they van tell Me.
If it was a cheaper unit then I think Leroy will be seeing some more of My money. 😹😹😹

Back