• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I think I may have gelled.

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Well, it has been mighty cold lately. I filled my tank and used a double dose of power service white. I refuled at a half tank and double dosed with power service white again. I new the truck would be sutting for a couple of dsys, so I wanted it to be full. I went out this morning and it started right up. I let it warm for 10 minutes and then took off. I drove about 4 miles on side streets. It was a little slow, so I babied it. When I got to highway I accelerated slowly. When I got to 40 mph, the engine sputtered AZ bout three or four times and then check engine light came on. I took next exit, turned around and went home. It drove fine on way home with CEL on. I immediately ran the codes and got the low fuel rail pressure code. I added Diesel 911 to the full tank. Hopefully this does the trick.

Anyone else experiencing any issues due to the cold?

Typically the P087 will show up because of low flow caused by waxed fuel. I've really only had gelling happen during extreme cold - like -25* to -30*. I've set the code and gone into limp quite a few times from giving it too much throttle when the ambient temp is below about +20*. What was your air temp at the time Jeff?

Sitting for a few days likely did not matter. Pulling fuel through a length of narrow diameter metal pipe in X* F was likely the stronger trigger.

Last edited:
The 911 probably loosened it up. Next time you might need to change the filter. Now that I think of it you have the Nicktane setup so that may be why you're having trouble I wouldn't.

The nicktane setups have problems? I was unaware of any issues. This is the first time I have ever had a fuel issue. ???

I also have a double Kennedy lift pump setup. I was thinking the issue may have been related to the fuel lines mounted to the chasis.

If your preheater is bad, I would suggest getting one that has a bit more umff to it. At 195 f you will get perfect water separation, and the hotter diesel or kerosene is, the better the burn- so a tiny bit more power and a cleaner burn. Electric to kick it up and the heater hose tap units for down the road. Even if you run kerosene some time, still no worry it's flashpoint is 425-430, you wont get near that.

I'm not aware of the Nicktane setup being any issue at all Jeff. I was just pointing out that my fuel system doesn't compare because mine is stock.

Oh. OK. I had the same problem again this morning. Was very lucky to turn around and make it home. I had to use a blow dryer and heat up the filter. I was fine after that. I don't understand at all. I think I must have gotten a bad tank of fuel. ??? I used way more Power Service white than I had to, and even poured in a quart of Diesel 911 yesterday. Needless to say, I am pissed!

Mike: I have Nicktane setups in both front and rear. Both have CAT spin on cans. I guess I should change out both spin on filters. Am I the only one on this forum with a fuel issue? Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket? LOL

Some cat filter heads have a tap for fuel heaters. The wax plugs the filters till they melt so you need to heat the fuel before any filter. The first filter (prefilter or water separator) will be the one plugging up.

I would check in and out temps on the factory head cold to see if the heater is working. With an IR temp gun.

Back