• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

i think i blew me a head gasket

I might end up doing the head gasket this weekend, I figured its about 100 dollars in gaskets as long as everything else looks good when i get it apart, i will be sure to take pics if i do it.

If your gonna keep it and run 15PSI of boost, I would invest in a set of ARP head studs as well. With all of the bad fel pro head bolts here lately at stock boost allowing head gaskets to go, I wouldn't chance an engine at higher boost with a set. Put a set of studs in it, FEL PRO stock gaskets, and run her so long as everything still looks good in it when teh heads are off.

Bad news. :( I got the head off and all of the pre cups have cracks and their is a crack in one of the combustion chamber right between the valves.

100MEDIA$IMAG0451.jpgIMAG0452.jpg100MEDIA$IMAG0459.jpgpre cub.jpg

The one picture is to show you where the gasket was leaking

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, most people's pre cups are most likely cracked. Throw some new head gaskets on there and run it or sell me your truck lol. Good luck.

Every set of heads in have seen have cracks. Rule of thumb is if the aren't outside the cylinder wall its ok and even then, good luck finding a replacement set.

Weighing in late here.

Don't blame the HX40, there could have been a number of reasons the head gasket failed. Time, age, coolant condition, etc.

Puts some new gaskets on with ARP studs and you will be fine.

I got the new head gasket on and she runs better than ever before, the coolibg system has hardly no pressure even after riding around for 30 min and theirs no check engine light now, and I only did the 1 head gasket since I'm going to sell it eventually.

Glad to see you got it running well! Clear Water Cylinder head sells brand new casting heads for ~650 bucks (When i bought mine 3 years ago).

So i have to ask why a Cummins?

Glad to see you got it running well! Clear Water Cylinder head sells brand new casting heads for ~650 bucks (When i bought mine 3 years ago).

So i have to ask why a Cummins?

Because everybody is convinced the CUMMINS is the greatest diesel engine of all time ever put in a pickup truck. I have been called an idiot because I put a DURAMAX in instead of a CUMMINS, it is just how people think.

Because everybody is convinced the CUMMINS is the greatest diesel engine of all time ever put in a pickup truck. I have been called an idiot because I put a DURAMAX in instead of a CUMMINS, it is just how people think.

I was just wondering what his reasoning was.
I know your feeling Ferm. All the little whipper snappers around here who drive Cummins trucks are the same way. "Hey your 6.5 is a gas block piece of junk". "My Cummins will pull your 6.5 across the state". "Want to hook a chain"? These local kids dont even tow, they just want black smoke and POWA.

Don't take this wrong Chevy3500, but its just what i see locally. I wish you the best what ever choice you make.
Sorry for the rant.

I was just wondering what his reasoning was.
I know your feeling Ferm. All the little whipper snappers around here who drive Cummins trucks are the same way. "Hey your 6.5 is a gas block piece of junk". "My Cummins will pull your 6.5 across the state". "Want to hook a chain"? These local kids dont even tow, they just want black smoke and POWA.

Alot of FORD guys are that way until you point out that FORDS 6.9L started life in 76 as a gas tractor engine, and that is the engine that started diesels in FORDS. And then you point out that DETROIT DIESEL who happened to be owned by GM actually built the 6.2 as a ground up light duty diesel engine and the only thing it shared with a gas engine was that GM specced it to be a drop in replacement for there gas engines so it had to have simliar dimensions.

My plan isnt to roal coal, i think thats stupid bec when ever you see black smoke thats a loss of power that could potentially be harnessed to make a great deal of power, i was wanting a cummins because of their rep, they are strong, reliable, lots of aftermarket parts, you can find a cummins in all most anything theirs a few cummins that have been over million miles, which i know any engine can go far as long as you maintain it the cummins has 2 less cylinders than a 6.5 and is more powerfull., I like the 6.5 but look what all we have to do to these engines just to keep them together. Gm made a poor design and guys on here are fixing Gms problems to make the 6.5 more reliable.

I got told the only use for my 6.5L trucks is a cummins swap chassis. I get tired of hearing cummins, my 6.5 is quieter than most 12&24v cummins gets decent mpg and pulls EVERYTHING I need.

I had my 95 all but sold to a local guy for 4k with all the appropriate longevity mods, nice leather interior, new tires, 2 10" kickers, 500w amp, Memphis door speakers, clarion head unit, and working ac and heat. After 2 weeks of not hearing from him I see him driving a 1st gen cummins club cab 4x4 with 5 speed non functional ac with rotten rockers and beat body for more than I was offering my 6.5 for.

Actually it is.
They are like the energizer bunny and keep going...and going..and going...and..going.
Many thousands are used in industrial and Ag equipmentof all kinds.

Back