• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I put about SIX OUNCES of gasoline into 2017 Ecodiesel

peter289

Reaction score
I put about SIX OUNCES of unleaded gasoline into my 2017 Ecodiesel. I realized my mistake almost immediately. Pump indicated .051 of a gallon (About 6 ounces). Now i'm freaking out. Did I cause some permanent damage???

Drain the tank, refill with fresh diesel, and a HEAVY dose of power service. You don't fool around with high pressure common rail injection. I don't know if that engine uses a cp3 or cp4, but if it's a cp4, that tiny amount of gas can destroy it. They do not handle even trace amounts of gas.

I put about SIX OUNCES of unleaded gasoline into my 2017 Ecodiesel. I realized my mistake almost immediately. Pump indicated .051 of a gallon (About 6 ounces). Now i'm freaking out. Did I cause some permanent damage???

Welcome.

I would still drain the fuel and change the filters.

So you drove it anyway? :banghead: In the future I suggest you have a plan for "Shit Happens!" This is calling AAA to tow it to a shop. Bad fuel, gasoline "Oops!", or "not running right". Most people go the the extreme to push a broken vehicle while endangering themselves and others on the road FOR NO GOOD REASON! This is expensive in further damage caused. Now if life is on the line everything is expendable, but, that's your call. Many discount towing plans out there from your cell phone co. to and including factory warranty on new vehicles even if you pay for the repair. (I write this as a vehicle fire and explosion supposedly caused the biggest fire in the USA, NOW, 6 miles from my doorstep. The "GO!" evacuation orders bleed over to my cell phone from close areas evacuated.)

The Ecodiesel uses the Proven Time Bomb CP4. You will know it's damaged in about 30 seconds when the engine quits. It also be the entire injection system including the expensive injectors filled with debris from the CP4. Nasty destructive little bastards when they fail. Even the king of unreliable bean counter cheap diesel engines, GM, dropped that proven crap CP4 pump on the Duramax.

Never run the tank below 1/4 as a lack of fuel can spin a roller 90 degrees and your fuel system is near instant toast.

Then look into a disaster prevention kit: I don't know if they make an Ecodiesel specific one yet. https://www.drivingline.com/articles/new-product-spotlight-ss-diesel-motorsport-s-cp42-bypass-kit/

So at the fuel racks where the tankers are filled and deliver to the fuel stations-the way you raise the flash point on diesel when it is too low is add gasoline. When it is too high, you cut it with more diesel. 6 ounces of gasoline mixed into 20 gallons of diesel, especially diesel that has 5%-10% methanol in it will raise octane 2% or so. If you really want to off set it even more, dump in 6 oz of 2 cycle oil (uls rated of coarse to keep epa happy and not kill any extra polar tree whales or the like.

If you have #2 diesel for winter you want to make #1 and it is warm enough to not gel, add gasoline and poof you have number 2. Kerosine is normally used because it is cheaper, ut in places not shipped there- they cut with gas. You didn’t add enough to make #1 diesel yet if you have a 10 gallon tank.

When you take crude oil, cook it to a vapor and let it cool off by weight it separates (distills) into the different fuels and oils. Then at the fuel supplier level we remix them to get it to whatever level that company choose to advertise as good for your car vs how cheap we can make it. And most fuel suppliers know when the governing agency is coming out to do the spec testing.

Back