• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I have a 1995 6.5 with a cold start smoking & stumbling issue I can't figure out?

Glad you know what you’re up against- that is often the hardest part.

Imo the best solution is one letter and one number change.
DS4 to be replaced with
DB2

but I get why most don’t, so let us know when she is running happy.

So that's a failure of the fuel selenoid? On mine and Simon's neither of us had any codes. I don't recall you mentioning any codes earlier

Glad you know what you’re up against- that is often the hardest part.

Imo the best solution is one letter and one number change.
DS4 to be replaced with
DB2

but I get why most don’t, so let us know when she is running happy.
We discussed that before since it's a manual and wouldn't be too bad to swap. This thing has been plagued for years for Wayne stemming way back to GM putting a reman pump on it for no reason during the recall periods in '95. At the same time, they messed with the fuel supply system and probed a bunch of wires around the PCM. We repaired multiple grounds and Wayne went through every pin to re-tension them where they plug in since someone had screwed with them before.

So that's a failure of the fuel selenoid? On mine and Simon's neither of us had any codes. I don't recall you mentioning any codes earlier

I'd refer to it as "an issue within the fuel solenoid assembly" since there are more things that can go wrong than just a failure of the solenoid. This pump actually had a new solenoid so it's more likely an issue with the head and rotor or unusual poppet wear.

When spec is 0.005" +- 0.0002"...there isn't much room for error.

Will try to update this after it gets torn down.

Got a Question?

I'm swapping out the IP this weekend. Should I use a lubricant of some kind to try to prime/lube the new pump before cranking it dry for first start?

Thanks in advance!

Also, cycling the liftpump before attaching the fuel line to ip (into a container to not spill) ensures fuel is to that point. Then cycle the liftpump a few times to ‘fill’ the ip before cranking doing it with the solenoid powered up is best. Remember you need to bleed the lines so it will start.

John also mentioned putting some Stanadyne fuel additive in the pump wouldn't hurt. That makes good sense too.

Forgot to ask!. I read that you should pop the black plastic diamond shaped covers off the PMD for better heat transfer to the heat sink? Hell I didn't know they had covers? Ya I know. Ain't gotta do with a DB2!

Thanks everyone!

I would think that if you popped the black plastic covers off the pmd that it would corrode easily and take some life out of it

Back