• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HYBRID 47/48RE FOR CUMMINS APPLICATION

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
Been a little busy lately but playing catch up on this transmission build.

Today I figured what would work best and keep my 5 deg down front to back engine trans and found the 700r4 trans mount just right on the OD 4x4 Extension Housing. Here are some images of the OD 2wd unit next to the 4x4 unit. The OD 4x4 OD brake has 7 ALTO clutches w/ premium steels while the OD direct has 10 ALTO clutches w/premium steels and steel 6 pinion planet.IMG_0038.JPGIMG_0040.JPGIMG_0041.JPGIMG_0042.JPG
It looks like; I may not even have to move the torsion bar x-member from the stock location.

It's been awhile since I posted on this topic, since lots of billet to include a billet 48RE hybrid valve body conversion I have a lot of $$$$ in parts and time in this hybrid build. The custom trans controller I will use the Dodge 4x4 O/D unit speed sensor for all settings however; there is a TPS option if I need it and the NP241c speed sensor will be for the speedo & ABS.
DSC01883.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01885.JPG
    DSC01885.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC01900.JPG
    DSC01900.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0270.JPG
    IMG_0270.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCI0004.JPG
    DSCI0004.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
Some more images of the billet hybrid 47/48RE valve body w/48RE conversion kit & w/200 psi pressure sensor and every Sonnax mod that fits the unit. TransGo has announced they are releasing a total tune kit for the 47/48RE series. OH, that pressure control solenoid is GM and much better than any Dodge unit.....

Attachments

• IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0275.JPG
    IMG_0275.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 2
In the coming week I should be able to start the diesel, and run the 47/48RE through its gears while testing pressure settings and adjusting the controller shift up/down points and TCC OD on/off, I can run TCC lockup in all gears.
I installed a 4th gen (white cover) 200+ psi pressure transducer.
I did not have to move any x-members from their stock locations, the trans mount is Energy Suspension fabricated into the 47/48RE 4x4 OD mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0440.JPG
    IMG_0440.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 4
It has been awhile, but I have finally done a test drive with the 47/48 RE hybrid transmission I built and wow 115 psi for the three forward gears and 160 psi for overdrive & lockup. When both OD & TCC engage I get a 700 RPM drop...only thing about this trans is that the case is a 47RE everything else 48RE so I expect it to hold up better than the last two. I can engage TCC in all gears via controller and disengage w/brake pedal or with one or both of the two (2) stand alone momentary button switches.

The massive medium truck trans cooler, I used, keeps temp at 130/5 degrees f stop and go, soon I will see how well it cools at speed for a few hours "maybe to much"...

The E-Trans controller is simple and gives decent control using just the Dodge VSS and no TPS. It was easy to match up the Dodge VSS speed to the GM t-case VSS, governor pressure control is great too.

I am seriously considering going from 4:11 to 3:42 gear-sets since peak torque is at lower than the 6.5td...and yes ARB locker for front differential and would like feedback from you PROS about it.

Last edited:
I am trying to figure out if I need a check valve in my trans cooling circuit and suspect not because the AN fittings are at top of cooler and shallow so fluid siphoning the cooler seems to be a non issue, just not sure about the feed and return lines I suspect they both sipon when diesel is off.

FERM, that is my understanding, my valve body is modified for full flow in park.
I have researched what level is acceptable in the trans pan which is right at the lip of the transmission and the pan and I can't seem to get a good reading on the aftermarket dip stick as it shows more fluid than should be there then nothing on the stick. Can't even see if the fluid is getting air from being to high.

Starting to have small up shifting issues like the TV is sticking at times, even flaring between gears like when fluid is low. Going to do all the pressure tests w/rear diff on on stands this weekend if I can get some help.

Trans case is a 47re and is configured as a 48re (valve body), except not using a 48 pump stator w/seal and using a low stall 47re billet converter.

The problem was low fluid level added a quart and is shifting perfect...however; I still can't determine the level with this damn Lokar dipstick & tube.

That is a common complaint with the lokar dipstick. They're just so small that fluid gets trapped in them. Make sure your vent is good & clear as any restriction at your vent will mess up the fluid level check.

That is a common complaint with the lokar dipstick. They're just so small that fluid gets trapped in them. Make sure your vent is good & clear as any restriction at your vent will mess up the fluid level check.
"As always FERM, thanks for your input".
I have one (1) 3/8" brake air line vent into a 1/8" MNPT on the top of the transmission case. I sealed the vent in the pump" and the Suncoast vent mod 1/8" MNPT with a 3/8" brake air line tube on the 4X4 OD housing.
Just read some ways to make the stick more readable, one way is to take a piece card board and lay the stick on it and gently move it sideways I suspect that is the way I have to do it.

Back