• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX35, exhaust, and injectors?

dka99burb

Reaction score
My Diamond Eye kit from Leroy has not found it's way out of the box and onto the burb yet. Of course this has given me more time to come up with more stuff I want to do; thanks to your guys.....;)
Just so happened that after reading the recent discussions about turbos; I stumbled across a used HX35 from a friend. It seems to be in good shape just needs cleaned up. Soooo, I am now thinking of installing the turbo using Bruce's kit, along with the new exhaust and crossover, and may as well replace those old injectors while I have easy access.

As usual, I am looking for comments/suggestions:
1. Is the HX35 a good upgrade? And how different is it to the HX40W that Bruce and others are using? I am pretty new to playing with Turbos but am learning quickly, I hope.

2. I think I should replace the old injectors while in there so where/who are good economical sources for good injectors? What should I be looking for on these?

3. Anything I am missing?

I am not 'heavy' towing but would like to comfortably tow 5k or so on occassion, usually long trips. Most of the burbs daily work could be accomplished with a 1/2 ton gas model. Fuel economy, reliability, and a little more 'umph' is what I am hoping for. I don't typically rev the old girl too much since she has plenty of miles on her. I would really like to feel confident taking the family on the annual trip, pulling the trailer with ATVs, camping gear, etc to in-laws in TX later in the year. :skep:

I am seriously wanted to make these upgrades happen in the next few weeks though.

Thanks in advance for the advice.:)

My Diamond Eye kit from Leroy has not found it's way out of the box and onto the burb yet. Of course this has given me more time to come up with more stuff I want to do; thanks to your guys.....;)
Just so happened that after reading the recent discussions about turbos; I stumbled across a used HX35 from a friend. It seems to be in good shape just needs cleaned up. Soooo, I am now thinking of installing the turbo using Bruce's kit, along with the new exhaust and crossover, and may as well replace those old injectors while I have easy access.

As usual, I am looking for comments/suggestions:
1. Is the HX35 a good upgrade? And how different is it to the HX40W that Bruce and others are using? I am pretty new to playing with Turbos but am learning quickly, I hope.

2. I think I should replace the old injectors while in there so where/who are good economical sources for good injectors? What should I be looking for on these?

3. Anything I am missing?

I am not 'heavy' towing but would like to comfortably tow 5k or so on occassion, usually long trips. Most of the burbs daily work could be accomplished with a 1/2 ton gas model. Fuel economy, reliability, and a little more 'umph' is what I am hoping for. I don't typically rev the old girl too much since she has plenty of miles on her. I would really like to feel confident taking the family on the annual trip, pulling the trailer with ATVs, camping gear, etc to in-laws in TX later in the year. :skep:

I am seriously wanted to make these upgrades happen in the next few weeks though.

Thanks in advance for the advice.:)
The HX35 Is defiantly an upgrade over the stock GM Turbo and as long as you don't tow heavy too much it is a great Upgrade, The HX40II is a Better suited size for the 6.5 and really wakes it up, I see you have 4" exhaust which is good but you will need a good tune, I use a Heath Tune and it works well with the Turbo, Lower EGTs and better Mileage go well with Better Performance Its a Win Win all the way around

Cool. Thanks. You are not very far away from me so maybe we can meet up sometime. Maybe I will buy the parts in person? I need to get down to Huntersville to visit a friend who works at MWR sometime soon anyway. He stays to busy to get back up here much anymore.. Life in NASCAR.:eek:
Thanks for feedback.

racedaymechanic-- overall would you recommend the HX35 or HX40 for us suburban/tahoe guys? If we don't tow heavy very much what would be the better bet? What wakes the 6.5 up more for around town driving and overall best acceleration? I assume the 35 due to faster spool, but you mention the 40 in the above post as being good too.

racedaymechanic-- overall would you recommend the HX35 or HX40 for us suburban/tahoe guys? If we don't tow heavy very much what would be the better bet? What wakes the 6.5 up more for around town driving and overall best acceleration? I assume the 35 due to faster spool, but you mention the 40 in the above post as being good too.

I will be using the HX35 since I already have it. I am not towing over 10k like Bruce so I don't think I need the 40. I expect that only on a very rare occassion that I may need to pull 7k. My typical load is no more than 5k. And that is only on occassion. But she does spend a lot of time on the highway and that 5k will go on a lot of long highway trips. ;)

If you have a HX35 or can get one relatively cheap then by all means its a great upgrade, if you are buying new and money isnt tight you can go the route I went with my current Turbo, Its a Hybrid Holset HX35 with a Banks $$ 14cm Housing, for around $700.00 you can do the CKO40II and its a bolt up deal depending on the way you go for cold air intake, the HX40 is a good Turbo but its physically bigger the HX35/40II fits real well

Cool. Now all I need is recommendations on injectors...

I will be calling on you for the HX install kit very soon.

SSDiesel? DTech? RockAuto? Etc? Do any of our vendors sell them?
I am pretty sure I don't need marine injectors...?

Most of what I am seeing is rebuilt. I have also read in some other threads that the pop pressure should be set higher... Is there not any of our members who rebuild injectors and can set the higher PP? Or recommend a good vendor? Badger Diesel has good prices but good prices worry me sometimes. Any experiences?

I've dealt with badger a lot over the years. Fred is a good guy. But he will even tell you straight up , you get what you pay for. If you are ever unhappy with something you buy from him he will handle it. But with injectors, after I take my whole upper eng apart, install injectors (or a pump for that matter). The last thing I want to do is put it all back together and then realize I'm not happy with what I've installed. And then turn around and tear everything down again to pull those parts out to send back.... That's why it's not worth the risk. Dont cut corners on pumps or injectors. Buy the best you can afford.

Good point. I just did the injector pump this past winter. It took a long time for me since I am slow and meticulous, try to cover all the bases while it's apart, and it was my first time doing one. With that said, I would probably be very frustrated if I was in a big hurry. Specially since it was pretty hard on my bad back! I will shop for some good ones. Hopefully some others will chime in with suggestions.

Cool. Now all I need is recommendations on injectors...

I will be calling on you for the HX install kit very soon.

SSDiesel? DTech? RockAuto? Etc? Do any of our vendors sell them?
I am pretty sure I don't need marine injectors...?

HEATH is a vendor here and sells injectors for teh 6.5 in stock and high pops along with install kits.

I just installed the Kennedy Hi-Pop hi-flow units he sells on his website. I think they are set at 2200 and they are Delphi units he sets up custom. I have the job finished up but am waiting on a couple other parts such as a new IAT before I put the truck back on the road so I haven't driven on them yet.... But I will say, so far so good, because the truck started RIGHT up after install. I'm intending to do an ATT in a few months so hopefully I'll have a good set up here.... (also have 3.5 exhaust, F intakes, k47, 2.25 c.o. Kennedy chip, ftb, vac delete, tm, cooling upgrades, relo PMD, #9, fresh LP, new oem HB and Crank Pully, blah blah blah, etc etc )

Wow DR2 you are dumping some parts into that rig. Even more than me! You should have an awesome ride when done!!
When are we going to see some pics?

I hope to find someone to rebuild mine and set them in the 2200 to 2300 range since that seems to be the proven numbers.

My brother and i have been running 3,000 pop pressure for 16,000 miles and counting an this is with chinese marine tips and so far they are working flawlessly! The spray pattern get's better over 2500 psi and it makes a difference in hp and fuel mileage .

Dka, I know, WAY to many parts. And way way too much $, but you know how it goes...... Plus I've been doing this long enough to know to completely avoid any Chinese/low quality (dorman, etc) replacement part, so I've only bought the good stuff. I've tried cutting corners and saving money on the cheap stuff and been burned time and time again.

Pics coming soon... I still have the freakin hood off the truck from doing the engine work so it doesn't show too nicely in pics in its current form. ;). I've sunk a ton of time and effort in to the vehicle.....im starting from a very low mileage, and 100% rust free, but very ugly '94 govt spec'd 2dr blazer. And I'm turning it into something really really nice (mechanically and cosmetically) hopefully. Been a lot of fun so far....

Back