• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hummer fan setup installed

Should be alot of interest in that. You need a better video with lighting. Did you take photos along the way? Maybe do a step by step write up on it.

Neat! Is it for mpg? Can you measure a difference yet? Any plans for a temp switch? How does it sound and feel when engaged? When it is off does it spin enough for daily unloaded driving and AC in stop and go traffic?

Nice! :thumbsup:

You plan on doing a write up so others can follow in your foot steps?

I did not have time to post earlier but had several thoughts and wondered if when "off" the line could be biased or orificed so that the fan spun similar to the slipping OEM thermal clutch fan? Or 2 solenoids for 2 speeds or a variable control of some type???

Very similar to what Missy wanted to do but kinda in reverse as it runs in the "off" mode or water crossing mode then when you want to cool you turn the water crossing bypass off right.

I have pictures of the install and will post them with a write up.
The fan is on or off nothing in between you can't run it a half speed because you would burn up the clutch in the hub

yea i had to get an aeroquip fitting for the return on the power steering box that lets you run the return from the box up to the supply of the solenoid, which has an orfice to keep 125 psi applied to the fan to unlock it, when it locks all the fluid by passes the fan hub and spring pressure in the clutch engages it.

the hardest part was getting the hummer pulley modified to line up with all of our belt driven stuff, had to get a sleeve machined to make it go back far enough.

pictures to come and hopefully a better video soon

The link in this is not working. Any help available to find that threa please?
Nope 'not working.'

Only problem I see is for those using a VOV on the P/S pump whe installing anything else into the P/S system 'like my hydro-winch & PSC P/S pump.' GM had many issues w/VOV which are compounded when adding other components into the mix.

@FellowTraveler - thousands of hmmwvs run it without problems. The 100% fanclutch is a big partnof the reason the engjnes survive as long do in the application.

@ak diesel driver - THANKS!
OK, thousands of HMMWV's use this setup I get that and I suspect they don't have VOV in their P/S pumps, my comment revolves around GM trucks & SUV/MPV product line using VOV in P/S pump.

The VOV issues i dont think would affect the fanclutch or the other way around. The line from pump to solenoid and hub doesn’t have a constant flow circuit or wear components to affect the VOV- as I say that and rethinking - I suppose the 2 orings could deteriorate over time and plug the screen. But your consideration of that Very Overlyannoying Valve has merit to watch for and is something I will ask about from hmmwv owners.

It basically pressurizes and depressurizes. I think diagnostics of the VOV and the associated hatred of it would continue. Key point of hmmwv fan clutch- all failures default fan on so no engine death from it.

And funny you mentioned the VOV, i just got a text for guy asking my input on hummer forum about an issue-
I bet in the last year I have told everyone there to sign up here about 20 times. When will they learn to come here and learn from you all...

Yes I'm a VOV hater and my gripe is from at least a half dozen major issues with the VOV and that pesty sensor in the steering column that made my Burb wander on the highway it was so bad I had to slow down to a crawl and find the nearest GM dealer to fix the problem "sometimes it would be a week before dealer finished" then finally GM suggested a VOV delete and unplugging the steering sensor which if I remember right was integrated into the anti-theft system.

I have a Mile Marker hydro winch and during the nightmare mentioned above the slightest twitch of the steering while pulling caused a pump pressure and pulling issue 'the VOV delete ended this issue.'

Then PSC was clear that a VOV w/steering sensor is a no-no with their pump on my Burb.

Back