• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Huge problems :( Engine maybe

Matt,
I have the old injectors out of my Tahoe. You are welcome to them . I changed them as PM but they were fine to my knowledge. I have a complete set .

That is going to be the plan. I got an injector installation kit ordered from napa, i assume these are going to be the clampless return lines?

BTW, how much pressure is in the returns? I noticed I have one without a clamp on it on the OTHER SIDE (PS) than my head work was done on. Hasn't popped off (except when I cracked that inj I knocked it off).

Im not sure on the 6.5 but on my IH I just slid the return hoses on the injectors and so far none have came off or leak. I dont think there is much pressure on them, maybe 1psi. I figured if they leak I would just wrap a piece of wire on them and twist it tight for a clamp.

Update!

Found the 2nd injector the mechanic screwed around with, replaced it and no smoke!

I could blow through the 2 hew screwed with with my mouth.

Here is a tip to keep in the back of your head if your looking for a stuck open injector.

The flare nut on that injector was really warm compared to the others. I never really noticed before, because i always crack them open with a wrench. I reached in to remove the cap, and it was very warm. Scared me at first, as this was the 3rd one I went to replace, and rest were cold. I said, ahhh! Took it out, and sure enough i could blow through it with my mouth. Yummy. With numb lips, started it up with confidence, and not even a hint of smoke.

Have to take it for test drive, but daughter is napping, so will have to wait.

I checked my fuel pressure at idle, 5.5lbs.

Now to deal with my fuel delivery issue.

Almost there guys! Feels good! Better yet, running great atm.

Take that injector to your mechanic friend and bounce it off his head.

Nah... the guy did good on everything else, just needs to learn about 6.5TDs, like most every other mechanic nowadays.

Wouldn't hurt to go explain it to him, though, maybe let him take one apart and see how it works. Sounds like the guy is somebody you WANT to know about 6.5s, so he can help in the future, Matt!

Nah... the guy did good on everything else, just needs to learn about 6.5TDs, like most every other mechanic nowadays.

Wouldn't hurt to go explain it to him, though, maybe let him take one apart and see how it works. Sounds like the guy is somebody you WANT to know about 6.5s, so he can help in the future, Matt!

The manual for my IH say to take apart the injectors and clean them, maybe he figured the same.

Update.

Test Drive Truck ran awesome, for about 20 minutes, until my fuel problem kicked in. I have guage data. I'm going to start a new thread on that.

BTW no smoke whatsoever, and the knock also went completely away, she purrs like a kitten!

What did the mechanic do to the injectors? Blow air in it? Most likely fouled?

He took them apart, he thought they were clogged because he couldn't blow air through them. When he was done, I could blow through them with my mouth. Now, I have strong lungs, but not 2000psi strong! Of course I didn't know this until I found them to swap them out.

He took them apart, he thought they were clogged because he couldn't blow air through them. When he was done, I could blow through them with my mouth. Now, I have strong lungs, but not 2000psi strong! Of course I didn't know this until I found them to swap them out.

There must have been some washers and springs plugging it up. :eek:

You should take it apart and see what he did to it.

There must have been some washers and springs plugging it up. :eek:

You should take it apart and see what he did to it.

LOL, yep, I did actually since he already broike em free i figured i'd look.

Actually, I'll take a picture and post it up here in a bit.

Update on fuel problem, remoevd LP INLET, blew air into tank, Fired it up.

Idling at 9psi now, vs 5.5. I suspect that was my problem there!

Things are shaping up, truck running awesome, no knock, no smoke, and plenty of fuel pressure!

Test drive to parts store to stock up on fuel filters, bought 9 feet of hose for fuel pump guage.

Driving around 8 psi, climbing a serious highway hill from stop, faster than I ever drive, it dropped to 5 psi, the second i let off the pedal, back to 8. I'm not a WOT guy with this heavy rig, never have, never will, the heaviest I got on it dropped it to 4psi with instant recovery to 8 the moment I backed off.

Thats one strong LP.

I've seen the vacuum the IP makes when LP is starving, and it was -8psi. IMO any lift pump that is not making around 8 may be starving the IP.

I may try to blow the rear tank sock out too. I think I can get to it.

I think I need to plumb a permanent fuel pressure in here. Not only will it help troubleshoot/prevent, but I think you could gain MPG's by not letting it drop under acceleration. Maybe that is how TD gets such great mileage.

Back