• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Huge problems :( Engine maybe

Matt Bachand

Depends on the 6.5
Reaction score
Driving on the highway with my plow on I was climbing hills, moving along, watching guages.

On one stretch the guage stayed pretty constant at 210 and moved a slashmark past it. No hotter.

EGT's, pre-turbo only touched 1000 once, mostly working around 900's.

All of a sudden she started to blow smoke.

Boost guage was fine, smoke was blue not black as in raw fuel, not partially burned fuel.

Checked the oil, normal level uncontaminated.

Anti-freeze normal level uncontaminated

Upper radiator hose no pressure hot.

ZERO blowby.

The truck smokes pure diesel, blue/grey out of tailpipe, super stench of diesel fuel.

Still has power, but idle's as if it is only running on 7 cylinders.

Significant engine knock. I heard slight knock with RPM past few weeks, thought it was vacuum pump ready to go. Still havn't diagnosed for sure the knock.

Blows raw diesel out the tailpipe every revolution, and leaves a huge blue cloud.

Along with a knock sound, there is also a PSSST sound, as if the compression of the cylinder is coming out somewhere instead of firing the fuel.

No oil smell in smoke, no antifreeze smell in smoke. Raw Diesel.

I'm heartbroken, worried and panicked. ... Every cent I make comes from the use of this truck. She has been good, I hope something I indicated above is a sign of healthy engine with an injector malfunction on one cylinder causing too much fuel to ignite resulting in raw fuel out of exhaust.

Doubtful.

Thanks guys for help in advance.

Last edited:
Almost certainly injector, IMHO. Not closing... would let fuel dribble in there constantly, leading to a 'flooded' condition.

DON'T drive it like this, if at all possible. A tech-II can shut off one cylinder at a time, which should pinpoint the problematic little feller...

Excess diesel washing down will clean off the cylinder walls, and may result in ring grab... this is a priority-fix issue, my friend.

How many miles on your injectors? Might be time to change 'em all, just to be on the safe side.

Almost certainly injector, IMHO. Not closing... would let fuel dribble in there constantly, leading to a 'flooded' condition.

DON'T drive it like this, if at all possible. A tech-II can shut off one cylinder at a time, which should pinpoint the problematic little feller...

Excess diesel washing down will clean off the cylinder walls, and may result in ring grab... this is a priority-fix issue, my friend.

How many miles on your injectors? Might be time to change 'em all, just to be on the safe side.

X2, definitely an injector stuck open, They sound like rod knocks only not as deep a hammer sound. FIX it right away.

yep i agree with the guys above.....get GMTD Scan Tech and a cable to see which 1 is goin' dead....

if your where closer come on over and we would check it out!!!

btw...my 93 did that and it was the IP....

That would make sense because at the time I was pushing my truck fuel wise up a large incline at highway speeds.
Defanately the most fuel demand in a LONG time. I was doing it safely with gauges though.

I really need the possible 8-10 hours of plowing for money reasons...

Is my engine at risk driving it like this? (I plow slow, and RPM's rarely go over 1500. ) Most pushing is done around 1000rpm. the only work the truck really does is driving slowly around neighborhoods. A few decent hills however. 90% flat.

would think a litle diesel fuel with my added oil lube mix would act as some sort of lubricant?

yep i agree with the guys above.....get GMTD Scan Tech and a cable to see which 1 is goin' dead....

if your where closer come on over and we would check it out!!!

btw...my 93 did that and it was the IP....

IP was replace 80k miles ago, Been well lubed for last 40k as far as I know (my miles).

That would make sense because at the time I was pushing my truck fuel wise up a large incline at highway speeds.

I really need the possible 8-10 hours of plowing for money reasons...

would think a litle diesel fuel with my added oil lube mix would act as some sort of lubricant?
NO just the oppose.....could burn bearings and a piston too....find which cylinder it is and replace that injector or park it!!!

If you continue to drive it you will pay later. FIX it, or pay later.:confused:

done my IP and injector's on the burb Wednesday and set timin' took me 8 hours(2 breaks!!!)!!!...you could change an injector in 1 to 4 hour deppendin; on side....

If money is an issue - I would suggest getting the truck scanned before dropping coin on injectors....

If money is an issue - I would suggest getting the truck scanned before dropping coin on injectors....

I am going to have a garage (friends, use to work there), do final diagnose before buying injectors.

I should find a place that deals w/AC Delco parts. They should have the injectors and all appropriate kits?

Back