• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to build a motor for top end power ?

6.2 turbo

Reaction score
My next motor I would like to purposely build for top end power,and as many rpms as possible. 5000 rpms at the lowest. Feel free to post any ideas. Is a custom ground cam necessary ? High or low compression ? Would retarding the stock cam help ?

You would need a cam shaft designed for the rpm you wanting the most power at plus all the other things mentioned

Cams for boost usually retain very little overlap. Lift and duration is a gotchya because of piston to valve interference. Even doing much Adv and Ret of the cam would get hairy. Bigger ratio rockers would be a custom option but may push the hyd lifters to failure. Valve spring harmonics really start to play a role trying to keep big heavy valves seated, not to mention big boost. Titainium valves would be nice. :)

BIG unshrouded valves and big boost is the answer. IMO.

Lighter pistons and wristpins would help the switch to internal balance. Mallory metal would still likely be needed.($$) IMO the external balance has doomed our cast cranks from the inception. Forged is nice but even this would respond better to internal balancing- read- less torsional loading of the crank and all the nastys that go with it.

Don't use a Fluidamper is my advice. Call ATI and do a custom one through them would be your best bet.

Forged crank from peninsular instead of scat cast

Balanced rotating assembly

Different rods then stock(Get back to you on that)

Fill the block with concrete at least up to the bottoms of the water pump holes

Lightened pistons

Lower than 18:1 compression...

Stud the bottom end
ARP part # 151-5401
# 151-4202
Those are for 12mm dia holes

Supposed to be a daily driver. The 6.2 in the Tahoe needs rods,and head gaskets,still runs fine though.

Open the port to get airflow in, lighten the rotating mass, put in a camshaft to allow it to breath and fill the chambers at higher RPM's, Open your precups up some to help with the delay of the flame travel out of teh prechamber, higher flow injectors as higher RPM's mean you have to inject the same amount of fuel in less time, and a pump that can push the fuel in that shorter amount of time. Adding RPM's biggest hurdle is teh fact you have LESS time to get the same amount of fuel into the engine though, and will be your biggest hurdle to utilizing the higher RPM's.

Well I just found the rpm limit of stock springs,just a hair past 5000 rpms. Started popping out the intake,just like a gas motor. Stock spring pressure is not near enough. I don't think the stock cam is any good after 4000 rpm's either,but can't say for sure,since the valves are probably floating before I can hear it.

Meh, with only .030-.035 thousandths of an inch piston to valve clearance valves closed, the piston will help slam 'em shut. :hihi:

Talked to Delta cams today,he recommended their 206 regrind. I think Ill get one done,only $137.

Well as long as were talking 'ideas' here, have you looked at cryogenics? An engine builder in NY for hot rod semi's (cummin's and cat's in the 1000 to 1500 HP range) IIRC its called great lakes diesel. The builder deep freezes certain parts to do something to the molecular structure of the metal to improve it. Reason I say this, is I recall a few bent rods, here and there. Not sure if this useful in any way, but who knows.

Other than that, X2 on Hogging out the runners and extrude honing the heads and intake and exhaust manifolds. And the coatings sctrailrider has talked about. And the better cam. And the roller rockers.

Well as long as were talking 'ideas' here, have you looked at cryogenics? An engine builder in NY for hot rod semi's (cummin's and cat's in the 1000 to 1500 HP range) IIRC its called great lakes diesel. The builder deep freezes certain parts to do something to the molecular structure of the metal to improve it. Reason I say this, is I recall a few bent rods, here and there. Not sure if this useful in any way, but who knows.

Other than that, X2 on Hogging out the runners and extrude honing the heads and intake and exhaust manifolds. And the coatings sctrailrider has talked about. And the better cam. And the roller rockers.

I read an article is diesel power mag about that cryogenics, supposed to make the metal much stronger

Back