• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How often do you use 4 wheel drive.

How often do you use 4 wheel drive.

• Every day

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • A couple of times a week

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Once a week

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Here and there

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Never.....I ani't got 4 wheel drive.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other, please do tell.

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
I voted Here and there. Tonight and today had the Suburban in Auto 4x4 due to snowy/slick roads. On the farm, it gets used when it's needed, which really depends on the season, weather, how much I've had to drink (kidding), etc. It definitely gets used in MN. Seems like I even need to use the 4x4 on the Gator plenty...

I engage the differential lock and 4wd on my mule every time I drive up the hill out of the creek bottom. Again to minimize any spinning. The diff lock will get it with some spinning.

If I didn't care I could probably get most places I go in 2wd positive traction but it would be rutted shortly and would get stuck in reverse or occasionally slide into a bad situation.

I may could live without 4wd on a second truck BUT would have to be locker in rear end........

I really really dislike an open differential in rear end. I can't stand a one wheel spin out.

Never.
We don't "need" it around here unless your going to play in the mud....ect
I will say though that these GMT400 trucks will litteraly get stuck on wet grass though! I did it twice many years ago, but had another vehicle to unstick me. So for me its not worth paying the extra up front, maintainence, fuel...ect
They do look good though.

I Sure as hell needed it this morning!
I took my 2 daughters to the bus station at 7 am, On my way back home the bus they were in caught up to me(i was going 70 km on a 1 lane road)) and was riding my tail gate when out of the blue i lost traction on a piece of black ice and was all over the road for 3-400 yards till i spun a donut ,i slid over in the other lane and hit the ditch 6 ft below the road. Luckily there was no upcoming traffic at that moment or i may not be writing this.
My daughters saw the whole scene unfold as they were sitting right behind the bus driver(the bus never stopped, neither was anyone else for that matter)I had a cellphone with me so i could easy their mind that i was OK.
I was glad i had that 4x4 to pull me trough 3 ft of snow back on the road,it took 3 tries but i made it.

You aren't supposed to do the Evil Knievel thing in front of the kids, Simon. Now you're gonna have trouble convincing them to 'drive safe, like Dad does'.

:D Glad you're ok, pal.

Last winter I used it almost every day because we had a ton of snow. Other than winter, I only need it if I do something stupid :lol: Couple years ago before I had my K2500, I had a '95 C1500 and I got around just fine all year. Had 500lbs in the bed and always carried a snow shovel, too in case I had to dig myself out (happened once or twice).

Just read this Simon, glad you're OK. Girls must have been worried about their old man.:)

I pop it into 4wd anytime I'm driving on potentially slick roads at high speeds. I realize that I can't stop any quicker, but it keeps me straight(er). I don't put weight in my bed and in a ranger all the weight is up front, so I like to know I have traction.

I also pop it into 4wd anytime I get into a soft yard. No sense in tearing anything up if I can prevent it.

A few months ago I drove down below on my property & couldnt get back up, wet grass. 4WD to the top, about it since retirement, mostly worked off the road, equipment/gradechecking. Why I bought my ('84 6.2) Blazer.

-c-

As needed for the conditions, but at least for a mile or two every 3-4 months, even if I have to go find some mud, to keep everything lubed and functional.

Back