• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How often do you use 4 wheel drive.

How often do you use 4 wheel drive.

• Every day

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • A couple of times a week

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Once a week

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Here and there

Votes: 32 53.3%
  • Never.....I ani't got 4 wheel drive.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other, please do tell.

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
All the time since its full time 4wd! (so funny in my own mind) Twice a month, but I have to go looking for it. Almost all of mine is recreational.

How about every blue moon, or when the urge hits me for a boosted launch(then stuff gets broken like my driveshaft, or the CV halfshafts I had to replace last night). I've always had 4X4's, but don't really use it much anymore. My next truck when the BURB finally rots apart will be a 2 wheel drive, just don't use it enough to justify another 4X4.

In summer only occasionally, last winter it was locked unless on the highway. This winter seldom so far.

I voted occasionally. It just depends. I am not ever really in the mud anymore. Around the yard and in the pasture I give it about 2 tire turns max or rear posi-traction feel and I engage 4x4. I use to play around some and see if I could get out in 2wd first but now care more about erosion control on this property.

My LML has been in 4x4 maybe twice and that was for a snowy day a couple of years ago. Back when I pulled a boat it was every weekend during the summer because of slick boat ramps.

No such thing as 4 wheel drive unless you have front and rear "working" lockers.

Now shifting out of 1 wheel spinning to 2 wheel spinning is a different matter used for off road towing or monsoon storms. Generally used just before something serious gets broken.

Regarding WarWagon and ak's remarks:

In most trucks, 4wd is really right rear and left front. Mine is opposite in its full time mode, always left rear & right front, until using btm (brake throttle manipulation) from the torque biasing differentials, it locks front and rear axles. Then locking in the transfer case allows 0 slippage between front and rear. So if there is too much traction and the driver decides to turn too sharply it will snap the half shaft(s).

I have learned huge differences in locking axles. That's why I asked on the other thread about a locker only on rear axle for snowy roads. There are a lot of times when unlocked 4wd performs better than locked rear and front 4wd. I had a bunch of guys on trail runs, sand dunes, at moab, mud, etc argue it with me until the guys with lockers copied what I showed them. Only people without lockers still didn't believe it. Snow is the only thing I don't have a lot of time on. Not just the last decade w/ the hummer but jeeps & trucks also. Which reminds me, any of you guys ever play "flip for pinks" in your area?

Reactions: red
In the winter 4wd gets used during snow and ice storms. I live at the top of a windy long hill, and if you break loose you end up stuck or break something as there always seems to be a stone wall to break a frame. That was the demise of my old jeep. During mud/spring turkey season, it get used daily as its always slippery on corn fields. In summer I beach fish for stripers oversand, 4wd is a must and this is where lockers shine on 8pounds of tire psi. There are some beaches I go that will stuck just about anything, lockers or not. IMO and experience snow and fully locked, will put you in the ditch.

I believe the topic of the poll was about how often you engage 4x4. NOT the technicalities of how it works...In the case of our 4x4 Duramax trucks with G80 differentials it's 3 wd up to about 30 mph when they unlock

With all of that said, I would not own a truck without 4x4. Should be a law..

Parking lot at jobsite has an icy up-ramp right before the KeyCard gate. of course, it is uphill, and since you need to put a mag key in the slot, you can't take a run at it.

So I use 4x4 every day, for 30 feet. :)

Last edited:
My feed trucks see 4x4 every time I feed due to sugar sand. I have one farm with hard red soil and it has a hill that only the 95 can pull in 2wd. Another farm has soil that sticks to your tires and even the biggest lugs won't clean out, can be fun.

Otherwise its a here and there use.

No 6 wheel option? Poor deuce has too many axles for this poll :(

I use it offroad, but on pavement I don't use 4x4 (6x6 in the deuce). Never found it to be necessary up in Utah.

Back