• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do ya know if the fuel pump is dieing?

dbrannon79

I'm getting there!
Reaction score
Howdy y'all. I mentioned in another thread that I had just pulled my 99 ram out from under the pecan tree and got her on the road from sitting for a good while. she's been sitting still for about a year and half, but a friend of mine did need a vehicle back in June of last year so he did drive her for about a month without any issues. I got her out on the road so I can park my rig and do some much needed work on it.

This morning getting ready for work I attempted using the remote start to warm up the engine while I was finishing up to head out. tried three times on the remote but she didn't fire up... ran outside and used the key, she would crank and crank but not start or even try to fire. she finally cranked up on the third try after cranking for about 10 seconds, when it busted off there was no stumble at all she just came to life. ran fine driving to work and back home in the afternoon.

this evening I needed to check things underneath due to a loose steering issue, left her idling in the driveway while I was poling around. suddenly she began to stumble, rpm would slowly go lower and then before I could get up and see what was happening she straightened out as if it never happened.

Shes a 1999 Dodge ram 1500 318 V8 auto trans. I did run to the gas station and get some fresh fuel yesterday as she very little in the tank (gas light was on) Shes never had a fuel pump replaced since she was new, or any other work other than regular maintenance and tune ups and of course 4 water pumps over the years Ive had her. she did get an oil change with new air filter back in June when by friend drove her. Oil is still clean too. the pump isn't making any noise that I can hear like some do when they are on the brink of failing. I know this one has no inline filter, it's in the tank with the pump!

I just thought I'd see what you all thought on this, last thing I need is for this truck to fail on me after I get tore into the Chevy

I had same problem with my other truck after it sat awhile..2000 c3500 with a 5.7 l in it... New fuel turns to lacquered after sitting awhile and moist builds up in the tank .. might be that there is water in the old fuel ....or pump has build up from sitting.... Also could be build up in the filter.... Just my opinion but I'd pulled up fuel line and cycle the key on and see how well it pumps out...

Crap I forgot that... But you could unhook the fuel line up by the engine... And the sea what kind of fuel pressure you have coming out of it... There's a lot of additives that you can dump in the tank that will get the lacquer off the filter if that's the problem...... Feel lucky you're in Texas see you don't really have to worry about rusted fuel lines.

Well I think I just confirmed the fuel pump. we went to a friends house for dinner tonight, it hesitated 4 different times while heading out there. after dinner she wouldn't start. tried several times to no avail. grabbed a steel rod and beat the bottom of the tank and she fired right up! 🤔 made it home with no issues so that was a good thing I didn't need a tow.

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow. already planning to remove the bed instead of dropping the tank. supposed to be rain in the morning and up to 26 mph winds tomorrow!

Dont forget to check and see if there is a grounding strap attached from the tank to the body.
There is on GM units and I didnt see that strap, tore it to pieces and hadda make a new one.
Been many years since I changed a fuel pump onna Dodge but I dont think it could be worser than a GM and those are easy. Try the tank pump on a 2000 ford POS sometime. Now thats a real edumacation.

Got the new pump installed yesterday and she’s running smooth. Took her and got some small (original size) tires installed since these mud slingers were rubbing the inner fenders. I think she’s all set now to drive for a while.

63C70F11-46F9-4EAF-9032-AC30BEDD939D.jpeg8CA8DF6C-249E-4E46-A98C-D49EC7BD21A7.jpegimage.jpg

They ALL went to that design.
what's crazy is I was expecting to see a actual filter in the assembly when I pulled it. the new one had a ordinary sock on the bottom but also has some clips for something to attach to the bottom. when I pulled the old pump assembly out, there was just a sock on it as well. no filter anywhere!!

with only a sock strainer and no filter in the system isn't that a bad idea, possibility of getting trash particles stuck in the injectors?

what's crazy is I was expecting to see a actual filter in the assembly when I pulled it. the new one had a ordinary sock on the bottom but also has some clips for something to attach to the bottom. when I pulled the old pump assembly out, there was just a sock on it as well. no filter anywhere!!

with only a sock strainer and no filter in the system isn't that a bad idea, possibility of getting trash particles stuck in the injectors?
I thought those have A fuel filter located someplace 🤷‍♂️

I've looked and haven't seen anything on the lines from the tank up to the engine bay, when I look online it shows "non serviceable" part!

Yeah- dodge eliminated the filter long ago. My son’s ram, same thing. Basically said we are not making money on the long term maintenance so forget it.
I mean, their fuel injection system still makes it a few hundred thousand miles so did it really need it? How few die early from not having it vs how many outside problems get eliminated and money saved in production. Haha

Got the new pump installed yesterday and she’s running smooth. Took her and got some small (original size) tires installed since these mud slingers were rubbing the inner fenders. I think she’s all set now to drive for a while.

View attachment 71949

Replace the chalk headlight lenses already! It will make a big difference in looks and being able to see at night. IMO OEM for them is the way to go as aftermarket is hit or miss with correct bulb placement to the reflector in the housing.

I wonder if the round can on top of the pump is the filter? Maybe pop open everything in the assembly to look for a filter.

@WarWagon I installed a set of LED bulbs this past weekend! boy do they make a huge difference. before I couldn't even tell the headlights were on lol the turn signals would laminate the road better than the headlights haha!

I have a headlight restore cleaning kit I bought about 10 years ago. still works wonders, I may just pull it out and use it on these lol

@WarWagon I installed a set of LED bulbs this past weekend! boy do they make a huge difference. before I couldn't even tell the headlights were on lol the turn signals would laminate the road better than the headlights haha!

I have a headlight restore cleaning kit I bought about 10 years ago. still works wonders, I may just pull it out and use it on these lol
Get in that LM truck website or go to an auto salvage, biggest problem with the used units is there might be broke or missing components.
Get the headlamp system for a 1988 Chevy, 1500, 2500, 3500, it makes no difference. Get the pig tail for the bulbs too.
Then You can install four rectangle glass bulbs and adjust them however You would like them.
I installed that system on My truck, then, wired it so that the dims is on with the brights.
Now we be talking some light.
I think that there is also conversion kits for the rectangle bulbs so that LED bulbs can be added to the system.

That silver can on top of it that your fuel line connects to is the fuel filter/pressure regulator. You used to be able to buy them separately, but they cost almost as much as the whole module assembly.

Found one.

Last edited:
Thanks @THEFERMANATOR this makes me want to disect the old one to see how much debris is in that potted meat can from the last 23 years! I remember when I disconnected the line from it, it oosed fuel from the fitting like there was some siphoning effect!

Back