• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How do I set timing 5.7 vortec

Djport

Reaction score
How do I set the timing for 5.7 votec after the timing chain has broken? What do I need do get the camshaft align with the crankshaft again?

OH MY DJ, I never broke a timing chain before. I am not sure, it may have bent some valves and caused some catastrophic damage.
Maybe some others with more knowledge can reply.

When you pull it apart you will be able to turn the gear. May be easily replaced or may require complete rebuild.

what makes you think you broke the chain?

When you pull it apart you will be able to turn the gear. May be easily replaced or may require complete rebuild.

what makes you think you broke the chain?
The chain was broken when I pulled off the cover. Clean snapped apart. I’m hoping I can align the new marks on the new chain gears and all is well. But wont know for a few days

You should be able to align the marks now. Then when new chain or new chain and gears arrive, install. But if you cant rotate them now, you probably have internal damage.
Rotate slowly, dont force.

If this is an actual 5.7l vortec(96+), then find out why the chain broke. Vortec chains do not just break. Even in marine use where they run for THOUSANDS of hours at 3500+ rpm, they just don't break. If it broke, there IS a reason, and you better find it.

A
Can will take the most force to turn but it should feel springy as you compress the valve springs
5/8 short socket should do to turn the crank just pull your spark plugs out so it will turn easy if you leave them in it's going to be rough on the motor cause you have to bring number 1 piston to top dead center

:dead: You will be pulling the heads before this is all over so might as well get started. :facepalm:

This is an interference engine. It won't run right if you slap a chain back on and try. You need to fix the bent valve(s), check pushrods, and check piston height in case a rod also bent.

The cam stops with a broken chain, but, the rest of the engine continues on. If not the starter plowed a piston into a valve...

And you need to turn the cam how far to time it? You may be kissing another valve by turning the cam or crank with the valvetrain in place...

Back in 2001 I was waiting for the GMC service advisor to finish with the mechanic. New pickup with a V8 had busted the timing chain with less than 15 miles on it. Had not even been sold. The mechanic had replaced the chain, but, it didn't run right. "Isn't this an interference engine?" I asked. Stunned bunny looks and "Ok, drop a new engine in it." I am still in awe they bothered to replace the chain.

Back