• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hot off the Press, News Flash House of Heath to run at Bonneville this year afterall

mmmmmm Reno is about 7 hours away.....

If you had a truck like bill's you could probably shave that down to 2-2 1/2 hours!

Great news Bill.

As always, tons of support, and best of wishes there. Wish I wasn't on the other side of this wonderful country we are all so proud to live in.

Hi all,

Thought you might be interested in our progress in getting ready for the World of Speed event. We are pretty short on time now with only 2-weeks and 3-days left before we roll out. The Diesel Depot engine is on its way by truck frgt and due in here about Monday next. As soon as it arrives, I will throw our heads on it and shove it into the hole. We are making revisions to various things on the truck to make it all work better. One is getting the seat relocated and the shifter adjusted to allow me to control the upshifts. I need to be able to hold each gear to the desired rpm adn couldnt do that last year.
We have added a 350pound ballast tank to the rear of the truck to help hold it down and to reduce wheel spin at higher speeds.

As soon as the engine is in, I will have the truck out on the road to get some miles on it, to settle in the engine as much as possible before we head out.

More later.

damn, i take it the 4L80E was never replaced by an NV4500, huh? Oh well, still 6.5L powered! I wish you guys the best, and as always, have FUN!

Track should be dry by run time this morning, AFIK he's still twin turboed, we should have some info of results this evening, quote from PM I got from 635 who is there with Bill.

Water was down a lot yesterday and Bill will be on the track around 8am track time today. Bill is just itching to get running. He just can't stand it! It was wierd to see about 7 inches of standing salt water down to about 3 inches over a 24 hour period. Then as we stood around at the track yesterday you could see little parts of land appear as the water evaporated even more. So today is the day!!

First Run - Shake out

Spent the day at Bonneville and WOW, what an experience.

Met up with the team and after introductions started helping out. Bill and the team are very welcoming and gratious and made me feel like one of the crew from the onset. Having met them only 10 minutes earlier that's a lot of trust to impart to a self-confessed diesel guesser for which I can't thank them enough. :grouphug:

Track was still very wet so runs didn't start until 11:00. We were in line shortly there after and only had to wait 7 hours to get the first and only run of the day in. A lot of disapointed car owners out there and the track officials got more than enough of an ear full from everyone, especially the guys from Virginia.

Results were mixed. Trip ticket indicated and average speed of 149 mph over the last mile. Average...GPS indicated top speed of 152. A little disappointing but keep in mind this was the first run with the new engine, the truck was held at the line idling too long and was a little too warm for Bill's liking and he was experimenting with a top end gear that proved to be too high.

The plus side: At the 1/4 mile he was at 147 mph and the track is three miles long. Last year the truck tended to want to wander so he added 300lbs of ballast to the bed and a very low front splitter on the air dam and it ran straight and true.

That is the quietest 6.2 I've ever heard. Amazingly so. My truck's exhaust is stock and it's louder. Even when he blasted off the line everyone around was amazed.

Tomorrow morning the team will change out the gearing and get their runs in. Starting time for first runs will be at 0745 but they didn't get out of the restaurant tonight until 9:30 pm (Thanks again for dinner Bill). I'm 100% positive the goals set for this event will be achieved if not exceeded.

For the :nopics: club...I’ve attached a few for your viewing pleasure.

I'll have to down size other photo's before they'll post and it is 2:04 am here in Utah so it will have to wait a little while.

Bill, Ted, Joe, Cody, Kent...:hail: You guys are great.

Thanks again for an exceptional experience. It was fun, an honor and a privilege. I hope to get out there again this weekend and in October. Everyone, if at all possible, make the effort to come out to see and support the team. All contributions of time and effort or good wishes, will be gratefully accepted and you be made to will feel very welcome and right at home w/in seconds.

Paul

Attachments

• DSC01576.jpg
    DSC01576.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01578.jpg
    DSC01578.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01579.jpg
    DSC01579.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC01582.jpg
    DSC01582.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01594.jpg
    DSC01594.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01583.jpg
    DSC01583.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 60
I wasn't able to get out there Friday or Saturday due to that four letter word "work." Plus I did some much needed maint. on the truck as I was a little embarassed after seeing Ted's and then there was mine, dripping and rattling...:rolleyes5:

In reviewing the times from the Utah Salt Flats Racing Associations (USFRA) web page www.saltflats.com everyone had a slower day Friday. Bill apparently got two runs in. One had him at 145.43 at the quarter and 143.930 over the last mile. The other - 142.596 at the quarter and 143.964.

Yesterdays results haven't been posted yet but the Austin Healey Club team's blog indicated the great conditions of cool air and all wasn't helping them or anyone else they observed either...."The anticipation of a good morning run was very high knowing the thicker air, cold salt,... None of that seemed to help in the first place. All participants were clearly slower than the day before."

Will have to wait for the team to post up what their results were and observations.

Great time though...I'll be going back.

Back