• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hot off the Press, News Flash House of Heath to run at Bonneville this year afterall

Hi all,

Well things didnt work out so well for us at World of Speed this year. Certainly, we had a good time there----you just cant help that when your on the salt, but our little truck didnt do so well. Starting with the first pass, it ran like jack-the-bear through 1st, 2nd and 3rd but was running a bit goofy after I got into high gear (4th) and on up to around 155 or so. It was surging and the power was down. I eased out of the throttle at about 2.5 miles then went back into it again, trying to get a feel for what was going on. The gauges all looked fine with the exception of the pyros which were running higher than normal at about 1330*.
On the second pass, things were less good and especially odd in 4th again. This time around, the engine sort of stumbled and slowed with a great big cloud of oil smoke.

Turns out we suffered a failed turbo. The braided stainless oil supply tube to that one had a flaw in it which dramatically restricted oil flow to that unit. Our day was over.

We are headed back down on Oct 6 for World Finals. We have things all fixed and are expecting a strong performance. The little 6.2 Diesel Depot engine is running quite well and we are confident in getting closer to the record set by that big ol Duramax at 166.85 mph. If not this time around---we will eventually capture that title.
Looks like we have Paveltolz and both Avants with us and we look forward to a fun time!
Anyone else who would like to join us is welcome---we would certainly enjoy having you. How about you this time Turbine Doc??

With a failed turbo, who better to have on your side next year than Turbine Doc??? Although, you may have to bribe him by running twin ATT's :)

Good to hear from you. We have faith in you Bill! 155 eh? Attaboy!

Bill is back at Bonneville, :drive: GMCtrk: :drive:

I just got an email from one of the support team there, track is drying out enough so they can begin making runs tomorrow 09:30 MST are when the runs begin, Good Luck Bill & crew, oh DTR traveling oil can can is there now, going to be WAAAY COOL if new record is set and DTR can is there & part of the history, still cool if record does not get broken but can being there is sort of like us being there also :85: here's a toast :cheers2:hoping it brings them much success as a good luck charm.

Just got off the phone with Mr. Bennie Avant, of Avant Salvage in Sanderville Ga supplier of the engine to replace the one the one that ran last year that went bang and wasn't going to be ready for this years runs;

Mr Bennie's son Jaimie is there as part of the support team, they should be doing 2nd run of the day in about 15 minutes, 1st run they "only" averaged 151 mph, WMI was leaking some and possibly too much spray on the WMI, so they are going to run soon with the WMI adjusted.

Sorry for no updates people. Motel 6 in Wendover advertises "Free WIFI" but they mean, WIFI Free as in NADA, Nothing, Zip.:icon_bs:

As TD Said, first run was 151. No real issue with the WMI other than we learned that it was actually ok and of a great benifit.

It has been an honor to be a part of the team and to have been a part of this effort. The Heath Group, from the outset has endevored to run as fast as possible with a near stock engine with as many stock components as possible. Keep in mind, this engine runs at 4500 rpm where "factory" is around what, 3500? Understandably, many stock components reach their limits and racing these engines allows for those limits to be ascertained. When issues are identified, adjustments have to made and those adjustments tested at future events.

Anyway, the fastest run was 155mph and that's fast..."I don't care who you are!"

As much a part of the team I have been made to feel, I'm not a company spokesman and so Bill will follow up with all the details, in the right order and clarity when he gets rested up. He's headed back home tomorrow and that's a straight 14 hour run with crew that has to drive another couple hours after getting to Ellesburg. VegOut, I'm guessing he'll have to make it another time.

No they can't drive the Racer home. It may be street legal but the cops will definately frown and any time gained will be lost explaining to the friendly officer why Warp 1 on the ground is really ok for this truck:nono:.

Bill, Thanks again, I can't stop smiling.

Hi all:
We are just back from World Finals at the Bonneville Salt Flats and while we are a bit tired, we are happy with all we learned.
We wish to acknowledge the efforts of Paul and Maggie Weddle (Paveltolz) as well as Jamie Avant during this year’s Finals. They travelled far and worked tirelessly in helping us accomplish goals.
Both Paul and Ted Rich (635) assisted in last month’s World of Speed event. Ted used his big dually to haul and tow from our shop in Ellensburg, WA. Thanks to them both! It is so cool for us to be able to have folks like these to share in the fun!
From the outset our goal has been and continues to be, running as fast as we can with a near-stock 6.5. Through the evolutionary process, we expect to encounter issues as we approach or exceed the capabilities of various stock components and systems---------that’s just the way it works. If maximizing the stock components were not so important to us, we could simply opt for race designs, but that would tend to defeat our goal.
The past two events have been substantially educational. While I would really like to be able to operate the engine with a stock oil pan, oil pump and pickup, these are clearly not well suited to this application and changes have become necessary.
First off; we are quite happy with the little 6.2 Diesel Depot short block assembly. It seems to work very well with our last-year’s cylinder heads, turbos and etc. We are partial to the 6.2 piston design and feel confident in achieving some good strong performance with this engine.
FYI - The speeds referenced at the Bonneville Salt Flats are based on elapsed time between the 2 and 2-1/4 mile points(known as “quarter mile”) as well as between 2 and 3 mile points (known as the “mile”). In addition and for use in tuning the vehicle, we use GPS to determine maximum speed at the 3 mile or exit point. These three speeds are critical in assessing vehicle tune, gearing and etc. At World of Speed ’08, the truck registered 150, 153 and 158 respectively.
Testing over these past two ’09 events has proven the factory stock oil pan and oil pump pickup to be incapable of properly supporting the engines needs at the rpm levels we are subjecting it to. Last year, we used a stock, low-volume oil pump, barely getting by with it. With this system, we walked a fine line between too much oil in the pan and too little. This year’s engine was outfitted with a high-volume pump and I questioned using it, but in the rush to get things done and ready to go, proceeded with it any way. Predictably, this only exacerbated the oil supply issues.
When the pump sucks the oil level down far enough and pulls air in, it aerates the hydraulic roller lifer plungers to really screw things up. When the lifters are full of aerated oil, they are no longer able to affect full valve travel, so power output is dramatically affected. The truck would pull like gang busters through first and second to 4500 rpm, but would begin to level off early by 4000 rpm in third, because by this time in the run the oil pump was pulling air, the lifters were aired up and the valves were not all opening as far as they should. The big pump lowers the level sooner than the little one.

While we could make a full pass before sucking the oil level down too far in last years engine with its small pump, this time round, the pump would be pulling air before the 1-mile marker. Desperate to find a way to keep making passes (going fast is fun and addictive!) we added to the oil level and kept on trying. The best we could do was to run out to about 2-1/4 miles before aborting the pass. Our highest speed during the event was 155 gps at 2-1/4 miles.
We have only a few opportunities to run each year and we go to considerable trouble to do this, so we elected to try adding a bit of oil to see if we could achieve a balance.

Plans for next years engine include a serious approach to the lube system, including pan, pump and pickup mods along with changes in upper engine oil supply restriction. Much work will be put into this area to assure reliability and to allow me to focus on other things in an effort to make more speed.

We will continue to ‘work’ the combination till we are satisfied we have achieved maximum performance. Then will come phase 2, which will be the next step up toward our goal of 190 mph.

Our sincere thanks to Paul Weddle, Jamie Avant and Ted Rich for their support over these past two events. There is always much work to be done in making this happen and their help is greatly appreciated by fellow 6265 team members!

Interesting......Does this mean you will continue to "build" on the 6.2 and abort the 6.5?

Seems even with issues, you still manage to do a Great Job.

Thanks for the update.

Nice to know the truck is still running great. Wish I could have been there, maybe if I ever get stationed in CA I will have a chance to attend and watch the truck run for once.

Back