• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hot Lift Pump?

Something to check that is seldom mentioned is the "O" rings on both sides of the pump. If you remove the pump you can damage the "O" ring. You can have a lot of troubles with the pressure and not a drop of fuel noticeable dripping out.

I had similar trouble through the winter. I did a lot of cleaning, checking and experimenting. I took a Carter pump built for a 5.9 Cummins, and modified the banjo bolts so I could get the threaded end to weld on the fitting from a wasted Airtex pump. When I welded them together the overall length was identical to the stock pump. Worked fine. That was about the time I realized I had failed to replace the "O" rings.

I also had installed a new fuel sending unit in the tank 4 months prior to all the fueling problems. I remove the tank again to remove the sock. I had used air to clear it and doing that had actually already blew it off the unit. The tank had alot of galvanized crumbs. I installed an inline strainer before the LP.

The sending unit I purchased was listed for diesel. It had a 25 cent strainer. Pure junk. Just a molded strainer about 4" long molded closed on each end. Better off with nothing then that thing not letting fuel through!

Now it works fine, but the "O" rings were burggered just enough to cause grief.

Well this is my problem. I have a ssdiesel lift pump that was installed by a they guy i bough the truck from. I live in orange county new york and this winter this truck gave me a hard time startin! I though it was gelled fuel. so i added 5 gallon of kero. and some diesel 911. it started so i ran that tank down and then filled at a local truckstop with some know winter blend. thought my prob was solved till the truck sat for 2 days and would not start again. It would turn over. start to light up and then it would stall after about 5 seconds. With the ignition still on the lift pump would rattle as if it had no fuel, for about 1 min then stop. after cranking again. some thing stall and lift pump keeps on rattling for about a min. now that the weather is warmer i no longer have this problem. to answer your question about pressure it is now around 10- 15 psi

If your psi is 10-15 then I would start to look at glow plugs next. Where did you messure it at?

Also disconnect the return lines from the front of the engine. Put a drop of oil on them or put them in a jar of diesel. Have a friend crank the engine and watch for bubbles. If you are getting bubbles from the injectors (return lines) this indicates that one or more in that bank is sticking open and allowing compression into the high pressure lines. And/or leaking fuel out of the lines. This means your injectors need to be replaced or rebuilt.

Back