• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hot engine.

Deuce02001

Reaction score
I have a 2006 gmc LBZ. My motor is getting over 230 degrees in hot weather and while I'm towing. It also throws a code and loses power when I go over 63mph. Towing 8000lbs

It's a 2006 with 240,000 I've never replaced the fan clutch. It has had different codes p007 and it also pulled one for an egr . I know the temp gauge could be off up to 20%. It only gets real hot and throw codes when trailering on hot days

I'm betting it's a p0087 which is low fuel rail pressure. It's a pretty common code when hot, the fuel thins, starts leaking past the ball seat in the injectors, and you get low rail pressure. Make sure you're running the metal fuel filters(avoid the plastic ones like the plague), crawl under the truck just behind the cab and see how dirty your fuel cooler is(I would pull the screens and clean it out, you would be surprised how much debris will be stuck down in it), also I would pull the fan, radiator, and intercooler out and clean them out(aka the cooling stack. The only way to clean them is to pull them. After 10 years there will be massive amounts of bugs and crud plugging them up. You can use a/c foaming condenser cleaner to clean them out. While it's apart, many reccomend putting in a hayden 2886 fan clutch, it was out of the medium duty kodiak's, is a much heavier unit, and is designed to start coming in sooner and lock in tighter than the stock unit. 230 really isn't that hot, the stock fan clutch doesn't even lock in fully until 235. The stock temp guages tend to be fairly slow to react and read general temps until you hit 225, but I've found above 225 degrees they read pretty dang close.

You most likely just need to do some routine maintence for the engine temps, but if it's the p0087 code with your miles, you're probably due for injectors. It's not just lb7's that lose injectors contrary to what many repeat.

In talking to an HVAC contractor and Carrier factory rep, he strongly urged against using AC condenser foaming cleaner on automotive applications because of weakening of the joints. He said to just use Simple Green or Purple Power. Then he repeated, "Don't use the AC condenser cleaner..."

I'm betting it's a p0087 which is low fuel rail pressure. It's a pretty common code when hot, the fuel thins, starts leaking past the ball seat in the injectors, and you get low rail pressure. Make sure you're running the metal fuel filters(avoid the plastic ones like the plague), crawl under the truck just behind the cab and see how dirty your fuel cooler is(I would pull the screens and clean it out, you would be surprised how much debris will be stuck down in it), also I would pull the fan, radiator, and intercooler out and clean them out(aka the cooling stack. The only way to clean them is to pull them. After 10 years there will be massive amounts of bugs and crud plugging them up. You can use a/c foaming condenser cleaner to clean them out. While it's apart, many reccomend putting in a hayden 2886 fan clutch, it was out of the medium duty kodiak's, is a much heavier unit, and is designed to start coming in sooner and lock in tighter than the stock unit. 230 really isn't that hot, the stock fan clutch doesn't even lock in fully until 235. The stock temp guages tend to be fairly slow to react and read general temps until you hit 225, but I've found above 225 degrees they read pretty dang close.

You most likely just need to do some routine maintence for the engine temps, but if it's the p0087 code with your miles, you're probably due for injectors. It's not just lb7's that lose injectors contrary to what many repeat.
That was one of the codes I found a leaking seal on the fuel heater. But I'm going to take the advice and clean all components. I put new injectors in at 190,000

In talking to an HVAC contractor and Carrier factory rep, he strongly urged against using AC condenser foaming cleaner on automotive applications because of weakening of the joints. He said to just use Simple Green or Purple Power. Then he repeated, "Don't use the AC condenser cleaner..."
You have to be carefull with the acid type cleaners, but they make ones that don't contain acid.

Back