• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Higher engine temp with new thermostats?

Did you test the thermostats?

Did you test the fan clutch?

If both are good, i would suggest having a cover with made for blocking off part of the radiator.
80C is not going to perform well.

Don’t choke down the coolant flow because that can cause aeration in the cooling system.

Wmi is normally a desirable addition to alternative fueled 6.5s, but not unless you can run it for cleaning cycles and keep heat up to 90.5C.

Talk about and show pics of your turbo, exhaust feeding it, etc.

Tested a total of 6 thermostats today; the original gm ones, the new stants, and at last the "acdelcos". All I had was a kitchen thermometer, so it wasn't´t really scientific, but at least it gave a good indicator.

Both the original gm and the stants opened between 85 and 90 degrees C. Thats 185-195F. Perfect. Put the new stants in the car - which was a bit of a riddle - lost the bottom right bolt down in the valley under the IP! :( Took me a good couple of hours and a very kind girlfriend who bought me a flexible magnet to get the bugger out, but I got there in the end. Bled the system and went for a test run, and I would measure temps back into the 80-83 range as I did with the original thermostats. I guess that´s me going full circle with the temps. I can assume the water temp at the engine is about 5-6C higher, which be pretty much Ideal.

I did do some research on the fan clutch, but I have to admit that my knowledge on how to test it is rather wobbly. The fan seems to be running at all times when the engine is running. When the engine is off and the truck is cold, there is so much friction that when I try to spin it, it will not move further than I actually push it for the first 10 tries, and then it gets easier and easier until it spins freely. I that a good or a bad sign, I wonder?

WVO testing has been postponed for a while now, as I was trying to get the engine temps back. I have however been blending in some 2stroke oil to the diesel the last weeks to ensure lubrication, since the diesel is running to a heated filter. I am measuring the diesel up towards 34C (93F) just before the IP.

Completely forgot to take pics of the rest of the valley when I was out today, and daylight is gone for now. I´ll be back with more pics. :) But everything except the fuel delivery is stock. stock exhaust, stock turbo. Unfortunately I don´t have boost or egt gauges. At least not yet, so I can´t tell much interesting about these values either.

I´m gonna ask my friend if he can do some new ir temp photos of things with the new thermostats to see what the actual engine temps is now. If temps are sufficient, I think I´ll go ahead and to some wvo testing again. Time is running out, though, as I´m leaving for work Thursday next week and will be gone for several weeks. The positive thing is that when I have time to play again, ambient temps will be much nicer with me, haha! :)

Edit: I completely forgot to mention. The "acdelco" thermostats, I tested them as well when I had removed them from the truck. They started opening at 80C(176F), so they were very disappointing. They did say "china" on them, so I suppose I got what I deserved for putting them in. Scary quality from acdelco, though. :(

Last edited:
Back