• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Higher engine temp with new thermostats?

svein

Reaction score
Hi!
I am struggling with getting my engine up to temp (to heat my wvo system). The dash gauge reads about 90C (194F), however when I measure the temps in the system with digital temp probes, I seldom read above 80C (176F).

I´m looking into buying two new 195F thermostats and see if that would give me more heat in the coolant loop?

I´d be surprised if there is anything else than the stock 195f thermostats in the sub, but they are probably 20 years old, so I guess it could be good with new ones..

What brand thermostat? I’ve found AC Delco or Robertson are the two most accurate and reliable.

I was thinking AC Delco. For some weird reason, I trust ac delco parts. I probably shouldn't, haha! Rockauto has a "premium" thermostat called STANT 45359 which looks tempting for $4, but I was still thinking I´d buy the ac delco one.

Wouldn’t surprise me. Bosch glowplugs went to the junk pile. Everybody wants cheaper instead of quality. SMH
Yeah, I was really disappointed buy the quality of the Duratherms. :( I guess cheaper instead of quality is the route society is going for these days..

Hah! Would they be very preferable compared to the ac delcos? I mean, If Im first swapping the thermostats, might as well go all the way..

AC Delco is stock for a lotnof gm stuff, but happens to be better built product- you have to look into the head to head comparisons, delco wins a lot of them. I don’t believe in just using the brand that came with the rig just because. The ones I recommend beat the competition in some kind of testing or comparison.

E-Core AC Delco oil filters... When they first came out I returned as a possible knock off part. Plastic core support is as bad a OCOD Fram crap IMO and I won't run em. Wix XP oil filter, but, Wix fuel filters don't meet our antique diesel engine filtering spec anymore.

Notice how long it has been since i will recommend ac delco oil filter? Wont do it nowdays. Used to be really good, now won’t run em.

On the wix 51060 or wix 57202- what is it that doesn’t meet the spec? (Only difference is built in bypass vs no bypass). (This is the same as Napa gold btw)

AC Delco is stock for a lotnof gm stuff, but happens to be better built product- you have to look into the head to head comparisons, delco wins a lot of them. I don’t believe in just using the brand that came with the rig just because. The ones I recommend beat the competition in some kind of testing or comparison.

I have to admit that with my limited car knowledge, i very often look up the part i need on rockauto, try to compare the specs of the part - but end up buying ac delco even though the spec would let me buy a cheaper one. I do believe a bit in "what you pay is what you get" in this world of cheap knock-offs.

That said, I very much agree with you not to go stock for the sake of going stock If there is another product that can do a better job.

Did a bit of reading up on the Robert shaw thermostats. They seem to me to be a better choice If the target is keeping the engine cool. I am however Looking to maintain operating temperature in cold weather, and I dont do any towing, so Im thinking ill try the ac delco thermostats at this point.

Did a 7hour drive today in temps just above freezing. Could read steady coolant temp at 83,3c (182f) at my coolant heated fuel filter on the side of the sub. Temp gauge seems to show steady 90c (194f). It will be exciting to see If new thermostats can make Any difference, or If its all in my head! 😂 I should probably look at changing the temp sensors as well while Im at it.

I am not sure but you may not want to do WVO in the cold weather.

Even people living in cold country part of US, the BioDiesel mix is not added during winter time.
WVO gel at close to 0C or 32F. It will be more expensive for you to buy a new IP.

Thats a good point. I've made some effort to protect the ip from the wvo(Even though it is abuse in the end); by preheating the diesel to avoid thermal shock during switchover.

I have not started driving in wvo yet - i am struggeling with getting the system up running. Currently waiting for new Walbro frb-5 lift pumps, and then I tend to overthink things, so now my attention has headed towards the engine coolant temp. 😂

I am thinking ill swap thermostats and stock sensors to know the coolant system is as good as it can get. It cant hurt on a 20 year old car! :)

Then when Ill Get the wvo system running, I might dive into the issues of which parts of the year to use it and weither to blend in some diesel or not.

Am not sure you will consistently get the temperatures as warm as desirable during the cold months.

I used dual 195's in the Burb.

In colder weather (freezing and below), it was common to see coolant temp in the mid to upper 180F range at highway speed (measured at the crossover housing).

Back