• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hi! I'm a resident of Colleton county in SC. I've been a light duty & heavy equipment mechanic for some years.

Hernan

Reaction score
I own a 1998 Chevrolet silverado crew cab dually 3500. One afternoon the transmission didn't shift out of 1st gear so I put in an NP 4500 3 speed overdrive with a granny gear (a real transmission). The 1st part of the split drive shaft had made it longer; had to castrate the 4X4 system; the only thing left is the front axles with the differential. I have plans to make it back to 4X4 ; I already have the conversion kit for the transmission which is the main shaft & the output shaft housing. I'm goin to do the DS4 to DB2 fuel injector pump conversion. If there is any of you proficient diesel techs lead me to a reputable distributing outlet for me to purchase the conversion kit ; I already know I have to change the injector pump fuel lines due to a thread difference. Thank you very much.

I own a 1998 Chevrolet Silverado crew cab dually 3500. One afternoon the transmission didn't shift out of 1st gear so I put in an NP 4500 3 speed overdrive with a granny gear (a real transmission). The 1st part of the split drive shaft had made it longer; had to castrate the 4X4 system; the only thing left is the front axles with the differential. I have plans to make it back to 4X4 ; I already have the conversion kit for the transmission which is the main shaft & the output shaft housing. I'm going to do the DS4 to DB2 fuel injector pump conversion. If there is any of you proficient diesel techs lead me to a reputable distributing outlet for me to purchase the conversion kit ; I already know I have to change the injector pump fuel lines due to a thread difference. Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum @Hernan I'm not sure there is anyone who sells a complete conversion kit, but it's not hard to get everything you need to convert. there are lots of guys here that can help and a great wealth of knowledge in this forum. Glad to have you join us :)

one thing to keep in mind is since your rig is a 98 model, make sure that you can still legally pass your state inspection after such a conversion. some areas don't allow for any modifications.

add you truck and all the modifications to your signature and maybe post some pics of your truck and all it's glory. @Will L. and @WarWagon have some great knowledge as well as others here can help you along the way!

Welcome.

There is no conversion kit.

In the stickies here is a mini book written by Bobbie Martin. But with a manual transmission, it gets way easier.

Correct you need the injector lines for the db2. The little rubber lined metal clamps that secure them are the same- if yours are worn now is the time for new.

When the ds4 is gone, there is absolutely nothing the obd2 connector does for it. So my stock 95 hummer (came with db2) doesn’t even have a check engine light. Just gauges for oil pressure, engine temp, alternator. So the simple fix on that check engine light is removing the bulb. And mine has the 4l80e, so I have a check transmission light.

Wanting to use your factory dash then all the engine sensors stay the same, but the smarter choice is to get quality gauges with their own sensors. The stock sensors suck and the dash gauges are horrible for accuracy.

Your speedometer I am guessing you already have sorted out. If not, and you are goito go back to 4wd- save all the long term headaches and replacement of chain and plastic guides inside the new process transfer case - serious upgrade to an Atlas. They can do the speedometer set up for you.

Go to the junkyard and get throttle pedal from a 1993 or older gmt400 truck, they have the db2. Or go aftermarket and get a full cable throttle for building hot rods. There is a ton to choose from. This is more expensive but might be the only option since the 93 is now a 30 year old truck, not normally in junkyards anymore.

New db2, make sure it has bracket for throttle pedal. I suggest getting the ford inlet “cup” piece. Because ford uses 3/8 fuel line and gm uses a 5/16. The fuel filter is fed with 3/8 and reduces to 5/16 coming out going to the ip. Enlarging to 3/8 on ds4 or db2 helps extend ip life as well as power without any loss of mpg. Even if you don’t want to replace the filter system with something better, or don’t want to modify the ffm right now, run the 3/8 from ip now while it is out, and use a 3/8 to 5/16 reducer barb at the filter housing. Leroy sells new already modified ffm if you don’t want to drill and tap it yourself. The ffm is easy to drill and tap.
If the pump seller doesn’t offer it with the ford end, you can buy it yourself and swap, or remove it, drill and tap yourself- but drilling and tapping the ip cone is a pain because the metal has been hardened some. It will take a couple of drill bits and taps.

If you want cruise control- this will be the biggest expense to the system, maybe the same as the db2 itself. The cruise for it is -I THINK - 88-93. But not sure how that interacts with you system- hopefully Bobbie covered that. Otherwise another aftermarket kit.

Back