• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hi I am a New member and new to the 6.5 Turbo Town!

CynTweety

Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Need I say More!!!LOL
Reaction score
Hey Y'all!! I have a 1997 Chevy Silverado 6.5 turbo 3500 4WD Dually 160,000 actual miles. I have replaced the Fuel Tank, Lift Pump, Fuel filter, Air Filter, Waste Gate Sensor ( some say its MAP, etc. ) the black module under turbo cover, Crank Shaft Pully, 1 of 2 batteries, Bypass hose, relays, fuses, checked and replaced glow plugs( only one needed replaced) etc...... I still get a P0238 code and service egine soon light. I have checked the ECU behind the Glove Box, it has had the PMD relocated to under the front bumper. I have unplugged and replugged the PMD, I have removed negative battery cable and waited for system to reset, I have done everything I found on YOUTUBE, diesel forums, google searches, Paid $70 for a diagnostic read, replaced what needed replaced according to it, and installed a new radiator resevoir, had the system flushed, etc...... ANY SUGGESTIONS

I also replaced temp sensor that goes to dash gauge, it quit registering, new one doesn't register either, checked the plug and wiring it's good moves all the way over on dash. So gonna swap and try another temp sensor and may replace the other sensor just because...etc. Thanks for the advice I will see about checking that and post what I find

Soon as I read “Hey Y'all!!” I had to look where you’re from. - ALABAMA- and in all caps! You sound like a loud and fun person already. Welcome.

Follow ak diesel drivers’ lead, he’ll get you there.

You have 2 temp sensors btw. A single wire and a two wire. For computer/ engine control, the other feeds the dash gauge. NEVER over 220, and at 210 it is wearing hard on the engine. 195 is where it should live and up to 204 feel comfortable. At 205 is when you pay attention. Heat kills these engines fast.

LOL Thanks Will , I know about the 2 sensors , I changed the one connected to the dash read gauge, doesnt register or move , tested the conncter and it works, it went all the way over on dash read, ALABAMA ws more polite than ALAFREAKIN BAMA, LOL. And thanks for the welcome to the page.

Welcome to The Truck Stop, Cynthia.

Looks like these, guys have already been providing some great info to you, they know what their talking about and they will help you the best they can.

By the way I have many relatives in ALABAMA. I have visited that state several times over the years, all I can say is its very hot and humid down there. I have sweated profusely, down there, humidity was a killer.

Sorry this ole mountain man could never live down there, too flat, hot and humid. That country sees many bad storms in the summer, I admire all of you people that lives there.

Make sure to only buy AC Delco parts when you are replacing anything electrical on these trucks. Other brands seem to bring on electrical gremlins a lot of times.

Did you replace the sensor in the block or the T Stat crossover?

Make sure to only buy AC Delco parts when you are replacing anything electrical on these trucks. Other brands seem to bring on electrical gremlins a lot of times.

Did you replace the sensor in the block or the T Stat crossover?

Great info there about factory GM parts. I have a daily driver truck that my dad gave me, its a Chevy. The accessory belt was squeaking on it about a year ago, a mechanic put some off brand belt on it, it seemed to quiet it down. Recently it started squeaking it was awful. I put an original GM accessory belt on it and that solved the problem.

Welcome... I have to second what Jared said...anything that's in it that does not say ACDelco on it , take it out and replace it.. the temp sensor in the top of the block right behind the thermostats if it's not an ACDelco take it out and put a ACDelco 1 in... Same with the crank position sensor.. the off-brand ones will mess these trucks up even if they're registering that they're working it doesn't mean the truck is reading it properly.. also if you have or can get your hands on another PMD that you know is good try plugging it in.. a lot of times the truck will still run but does not run correctly will a bad PMD..if you're going to buy a new one make sure it's lifetime warranty because you're going to be changing it frequently. And check all your ground connections take them off clean them up good put them back on.. I chased the same code in my truck for a month about 8 months ago..

PMD has been replaced and relocated under the front bumper. Thanks guys. So far I have done all that and still chasing the P0238 ghost. Next on the list is O2 sensors. That's a hit to a wallet, oh wait it's all been a hit to the wallet. But I love the truck.

Back