• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HELP!

So watched on my phone, I can’t tell if the line is empty or perfectly full of fuel.

If full of fuel, is the fuel flowing when you crank it? I just can’t see fuel flowing in the video.

So watched on my phone, I can’t tell if the line is empty or perfectly full of fuel.

If full of fuel, is the fuel flowing when you crank it? I just can’t see fuel flowing in the video.
Perfectly full with fuel. We let some air into line just to make sure because we could tell if it was flowing or not. When we let air in the line it did push the air through and went back to complete like this. So I'm gonna say flowing

Went ahead and changed the 5 easy glow plugs and was reaching to try and weasel my hand in there to the other 3 and one of the other 3 is unplugged and the connector is melted

For sale 1993 C3500 6.5 turbo diesel $1000 OBO
Won't start. Need room for other projects.
New Glow Plugs, new glow plug harness, new lift pump, AMSOIL everywhere, and a bunch of other parts thrown at it I forget.

Two Weeks Later another listing will be on the ads:

For sale 1993 C3500 6.5 turbo diesel $6000 Firm
Runs and drives great! New AGM batteries and new Powermaster Starter still under warranty. Really zips over and is turnkey.

:banghead: Forget what you know about gas engines as it doesn't apply to diesels.

For sale 1993 C3500 6.5 turbo diesel $1000 OBO
Won't start. Need room for other projects.
New Glow Plugs, new glow plug harness, new lift pump, AMSOIL everywhere, and a bunch of other parts thrown at it I forget.

Two Weeks Later another listing will be on the ads:

For sale 1993 C3500 6.5 turbo diesel $6000 Firm
Runs and drives great! New AGM batteries and new Powermaster Starter still under warranty. Really zips over and is turnkey.

:banghead: Forget what you know about gas engines as it doesn't apply to diesels.

Wtf you getting at? Even if it was meant as a joke. It comes off pretty douchey. I'm not selling it. I don't give up that easy. It Will just be worked on after we get back from vacation. Thanks for the faith, patience, and all the help and advice it honestly is appreciated.

Last edited:
We have told you how to start it without bothering with the glow plugs. Now you are throwing parts at it and IGNORING the advice that it's turning over too slow. How did you arrive at "bad glow plugs"? IMO you are being stubborn and applying the gas engine "it's turning over: everything is fine" mantra. Snap out of it.

Don't know how much clearer I can make it other than my crystal ball says there will be some for sale ads in the future after you waste a bunch of money. We hate to see this happen.

Get the engine hot with the block heater. That should do it alone. Hair dryer running in the intake will help.

Get the handheld optical tach out and verify what it's cranking RPM is. (Self limiting glow plugs with 30+ second override used can get an engine started on a weak starter that has one of four bad brushes. )

Do you have a fuel mist cranking with some glow plugs out? Again video examples are here of priming a dry fuel injection system after engine removal and repair :

https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/1992-6-5td-rescue.44332/page-6#post-536663

I replaced glow plugs because they were disgustingly dirty. I tried leaving it plugged in while st work came home and it never started. We tested all the glow plugs we could get to by turning key on with it plugged in to see if it would get hot/red. Out of the 5 tested 2 of them warmed up.

I do not have a hand held optical tach.

As of yesterday when piddling with it, the block heater was plugged in for 2 days prior and still not start.
Yes the 5 plugs were pulled and the key cranked and it misted out of each of them.

The 3 plugs I can't get to I can feel one is not even plugged in and that plug is melted. So regardless I'm gonna have to buy and replace at least 1 glow plug connector. If not all 3.

I would take a picture or video for you of anything else except it's raining here today and this truck is not in the shop.

On that note I'm sorry for sounding like an asshole but this is only a project truck... its not a high priority.. I have not ordered any more parts other than glow plug connectors.

the battery connections and ground are all tight, secure, and clean. The batteries were load tested at the parts store when we bought them. (We tested them ourselves, we used to work at that store)

Did the block get warmer with the block heater? 25+ year old stuff is old vs. even in the future nothing works.

Good test on GP's. May as well change all 8 plugs to self limiting AC Delco 60G's so you can override them with longer times than the '93 controller gives you. Ohm the connectors back to the relay to make sure none of the fusible links burned up. I believe some harness kits are out there to save the trouble of making em.

Check the positive battery cables for internal corrosion. The wires like to loose insulation in the starter heat shield area. Shorts... Also the 1993 likes to rub the positive passenger cable through on the battery tray.

Powermaster starter vs. sticking injectors. Hear how much faster it's spinning over than the OEM starter on the yellow truck?

Slow spinning starter with burned brush ground: (I used lots of glow plug time till the Powermaster starter arrived.)

bad starter2.jpg

Back