• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help with a 95 6.5 no start

Have you guys heard of oil coating your glow plugs? Pulled them out and they were coated, maybe valve cover? Maybe internal cylinder? No clue on this one

To me that would indicate that the glow plugs system isn't working right. Should be indications of them glowing red hot almost yellow/white

Have you guys heard of oil coating your glow plugs? Pulled them out and they were coated, maybe valve cover? Maybe internal cylinder? No clue on this one

Another thing Cummins don't have that you will grow to HATE. Glow Plugs.

Did you get a wait to start light? Any Codes in the ECM?

You literally have to wait for the light to go out before trying to crank the engine :angelic: But oil coated means no fire in the cylinder. Start with the GP system as noted above. If it's cranking slow it can hose the plugs down with diesel. Heat is from compression: cranking speed and glow plugs to get these engines started.

Another thing Cummins don't have that you will grow to HATE. Glow Plugs.

Did you get a wait to start light? Any Codes in the ECM?

You literally have to wait for the light to go out before trying to crank the engine :angelic: But oil coated means no fire in the cylinder. Start with the GP system as noted above. If it's cranking slow it can hose the plugs down with diesel. Heat is from compression: cranking speed and glow plugs to get these engines started.
Roger that, what kind of protection did the passenger side glow plugs have from the exhaust?

Update! Yet again screwed by previous owner, flex plate just lost 4 teeth. Researched it and i can replace flex plate without pulling tranny. See you guys in about a day for an update. P.s flex plate was buggered before me. Thought i got lucky but karma is a nasty...

If you are planning to keep this truck and want some factory service manuals for it I have some for sale.

Update! Yet again screwed by previous owner, flex plate just lost 4 teeth. Researched it and i can replace flex plate without pulling tranny. See you guys in about a day for an update. P.s flex plate was buggered before me. Thought i got lucky but karma is a nasty...

That absence of starter rear bracket will cause something like this.
At least it did not cause the starter to drop and take a chunk of the engine with it and then you have to fix the starter bolt holes.

That absence of starter rear bracket will cause something like this.
At least it did not cause the starter to drop and take a chunk of the engine with it and then you have to fix the starter bolt holes.
Fair enough, i have the new flex plate amd everything is ready to go, just waiting for the rain to slow down so i can hop back under the truck

If you are planning to keep this truck and want some factory service manuals for it I have some for sale.
Thats all good, working on this diesel i realized i was lucky with my choice of cummins for my first truck. Ill be going back to cummins as soon as this is sold

With the starter system damage I suggest new starter bolts from GM.

Thats all good, working on this diesel i realized i was lucky with my choice of cummins for my first truck. Ill be going back to cummins as soon as this is sold

May as well post pics here. Never know when some of us in this asylum want another 6.5TD project...

With the starter system damage I suggest new starter bolts from GM.

May as well post pics here. Never know when some of us in this asylum want another 6.5TD project...
Where abouts are you guys located?
My city is starved of diesels so even if i get this thing running and driving i can flip it for about 5-6 grand. Victoria bc canada. Thats at 373xxxkm

Keep in mind that you were buying a project truck with PO who did not fix it properly.

Obviously, if you resold it, hopefully, it is not a project truck anymore.

I hardly bought a project truck.
Once in a while, I bought project computer which is a lot easier to deal with than a project truck.

Thats the plan, if i cant get it to the point where i would trust it to keep my girlfriend (who has no mechanical experiance) going without a problem, then ill have to keep it for myself

Back