• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Help! First drive in 6 months didn't go so well.

I would pull the fuel shutoff sol, it's the size of a roll of coins on the front top of the IP with two wires. plug it in while removed to see if the plunger pulls in. JM $.02

Leo

Also check that the +12V to the solenoid stays present, I had one once that the 12V would go away and solenoid would lose power,

S 76 you can temporarily "hot wire" 12 V to it, you should feel a solid "clunk" with power applied to the solenoid, if you have that; then try running with the solenoid energized, if it stays running then you have a 12v supply issue or a IP gnd issue, you have checked gnds (all of them) correct, the 2 at back of block pass side head are ones that will give you fits ?

Another buddy has issues that main harness where it passes thru the firewall had bad insulation where fuel over the years had eaten away the insulation and could not get it started; got any pics?

Is the fuel shutoff solenoid accessible without ripping much apart? If so, i'll give that a try when i get home. I cleaned all the grounds i could find, including the 2 on the pass side rear of the block. I can grab some pics, but pretty much everything under the hood is BLACK. Truck was always well maintained, but never cleaned. LOL

New, and had this problem the day before i did the relocate and changing it didn't help. I was hoping i might get lucky, but not yet.

So did I take off the right thing?

DSC03804.jpg

Oops.

DSC03807.jpg

Barely even turned it and she ripped the wires out and the head of the bolt was just spinning. Ended up having to use visegrips clamped on and pliers on those to get the damned thing out. So guess i'll see what one of them is worth tomorrow. This thing is really getting on my nerves.

Yes, that's it. Did you forget to unplug the wires before turning it?:rolleyes5::D

Leo

No, never even got that far. Just trying to break it free and the nut broke loose from the body and spun inside the housing, ripping off the wires in the process. She was in there good.

I figured as much, just yanking your chain. I'll wager that is your problem. Good luck

Leo

I dunno, now it just cranks over and tries to kick but won't actually start. Before it would start and run, but die.

Any idea what the solenoid is worth?

I dunno, now it just cranks over and tries to kick but won't actually start. Before it would start and run, but die.

Any idea what the solenoid is worth?

Did you put a new one in? I think they run about 80, when I first bought my truck mines was leaking so I looked for one, that was years ago however. I ended up buying a "junk" IP from ebay or somewhere and taking it off there. Mine did the same thing yours did when I tried to take it off

Did you put the sol. back in without the wires connected? If so it won't work. The plunger can be removed, I think it just takes snap ring pliers to remove a snap ring then pull the plunger out.

Leo

Yeah, i just threw it back in to see if it still did the same thing as before meaning the thing was screwed. I'll see if i can find one tomorrow.

You got a good point Matt,but if it would be a IP prob he would get codes.
It wont hurt to check fuel flow at the IP inlet,Maybe he has air in the fuel and dont recognize it.

Intermittend Shut off sol could cause it too. APP,PMD, grounds
Ahh,so many possibilitys.:
D
NVV, i tought i did mention that thing, so, dont take all the credit:D

Did you put the sol. back in without the wires connected? If so it won't work. The plunger can be removed, I think it just takes snap ring pliers to remove a snap ring then pull the plunger out.

Leo

So i can remove the plunger and put it back in and it will work as if it wasn't there? If thats the case then thats what i'll do. I really don't want to spend another dime on this truck unless i know it is the problem for sure.

Would i have to do anything with the wiring if i put it back in without the plunger in it?

NVV, i tought i did mention that thing, so, dont take all the credit:D

I wouldn't dream of it, I did ask if he checked the fuel line between the filter and IP as "Bison" suggested.:D:grouphug:

Leo

Back