• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heath Cold Air Intake

Thanks Ace and Handcannon. Ace I just got my first diesel truck and will use it to tow my gooseneck horse trailer with homemade living quarters to the weekend trailride campouts. Handcannon and several others here on The Truck Stop are helping me with mods to make it better and to get everything back into correct adjustment. To be honest I can do some automotive work but never particularly liked it, however I guess I have been bitten by the diesel bug cause I am loving working on this lil GMC dually 6.2!!! Handcannon I am eventually gonna get a vacuum gauge mounted to my breather and see if the breather can pull a vacuum, I am betting that with my air ram attempt it cant because there is so much air going to it, wish I had a dirty filter to put in it 4 comparison.

Bill

If Ace was refering to the 80s' bodystyle having a ram air type intake, then you might go back to the pics I posted of my 83 pickups' air intake. Although the full 4" diameter from radiator core support to the filter cannister is not stock, the tube is in the stock location. The air is coming from directly behind the grill without any lights or anything else in the way, just like a ram air intake. This may be what he was refering to.
Yep. Funny how GM got it right the first time with better airflow on a NA engine then choked on a Turbo'ed.

Yep. Funny how GM got it right the first time with better airflow on a NA engine then choked on a Turbo'ed.

I dunno Kenny. IMO the inlet to the filter housing(pre-filter) base on the N/A is too small. They almost doubled the size of the opening on the GMT-400 trucks with the 6.2.

Also the air silencer on the square body truck really necks down internally. Again the GMt-400 6.2s had a larger diameter opening.

It took them a little bit but they got it right in the end.

For those who have never seen the stock intake tube on the early 6.2 motors. This is the one I took off my 83. If you were standing in front of the motor this is how it would look. The left end attached to the core support and the right end attached to the filter cannister. Don't know why I kept it, but this is it.

Look at the restriction between the corrugated tube and the muffler. That stays the same through the muffler. It's not easy to get a measurement on the interior diameter, but it is about 2 to 2 1/8th" diameter. If you figure the sq inch of the 2" tube to the 4" tube I replaced this with, the 4" is a major upgrade.

2" is 3.1416 sq. inch

4" is 12.5664 sq. inch, or exactly four times the amount of air intake available.

Don

Attachments

• IMGP1194.jpg
    IMGP1194.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 9
Back