• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Heath Cold Air Intake

All I can picture is the dunce round air filter that sits atop the engine (notorious for loosing a nut and it falling into the intake) crunch crunch

yep, bu not the nut, a broken stud. It cost me an engine but those setups were piped right to the rad support. The threory was good. The air cleaner it self kinda sucks. Stud were not near strong enough.

Matt Bachand said:
All I can picture is the dunce round air filter that sits atop the engine (notorious for loosing a nut and it falling into the intake) crunch crunch

Intake getting air from the front is best, they look like this, but instead of my engine, picture a 6.2.

Attachments

• 00087engine1.jpg
    00087engine1.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
but other than an improved elbow (which most do on their stock setup) how is that better than the stock K47 intake in 97+ trucks? Maybe you cut more of the fender hole out?

I looks pretty damn nice I'll admit. Hole in the fender appears to be the same size as stock. That thing would do wonders for just about everybody if we had an inlet on the opposite side of that hole in the fender(like the 4500's and up) I think those two combine would equal some serious air flow right there.

Though I'm curious as to the custom price that will come with it. Bill makes outstanding products, but his prices have always been very high end as well...

I'm going to guess $350 :D

BigBlue, you got your SAS done :eek: :D

Glad to see you around Will! Was hoping we hadn't lost you over here, though I know you frequent the place quite a bit. Hows your project coming along with the "super 6.5"?

Check out the suspension section. I've got a thread titled"long awaited pictures of the finished product" in there. It shows off a little of the axle, leveled out rear, and some shiny new wheels and tires :D

I really gotta take more pictures of the whole thing and share with everybody here. If it wasn't for the weather, it would have been some much easier.

They're finally here.

:skep:Sorry to resurect an old but unlocked thread on the subject but...
After 3 years of effort of going back and forth working out details etc with S&B; and with S&B building them to Bill's specification, the Heath Cold Air Intake is here.
Installed mine tonight.
DSC01265.jpg
Nevermind the black shapes poorly photoshoped in at the elbow, I was blacking out the "K&N" sticker I failed to remove.

DSC01260.jpg

DSC01270.jpg

Draws through the original fender location without modification to fender or air box.
Pretty piece of work, went together as advertised. I like it a lot better than the AFE box I had in there and had to modify. This one has only one opening - to the fenderwell (OEM) and unlike the AFE which was open at the front and rear to hot underhood air (unless owner modified). Designed as a direct replacement for use with the GM-X turbos, mine installed just fine with the ATT.

They aren't on the current web site but once he get's the new site up they will be able for online purchase, but they are available now via phone call.

It would be interesting if Heath publishes some testing against the stock K47 air box, or comparisons to dry nano filters. If its near the same price as getting a K47 intake, 3" PVC elbow and an Amsoil Eaa111 then I suppose it could be something for those still with the flat air box.

I spoke with Bill a while tonight and mentioned he needed to publish an article (similar to the Super Cool kit he did for Maxx Torque in scope and detail) to outline all the details. I'm not going to go over what we discussed because I know I only remember the half of it and I was on cell in rush-hour traffic...don't want to screw it up. What I do remember though is the stock OEM set up drawing air through the front end and into the fender still has positive air pressure from the fender well, pre-air filter, at 55mph. That tid-bit doesn't change regardless of filter box.
Yes, it is a bit more than the K-47 and home made elbow. Does it flow better than a stock K-47? Don't know, don't have either the square or round OEM and I just got home to find the box waiting for me so I installed it and it sits in the driveway waiting for a test run...in the morning. It has been along week so I'll remark if there's a noticable difference in performance.

$300 isnt so bad. Although I would prefer the stock K47 box with the Amsoil EaA111 combo for about $200. Either one looks like it would work well.

Does that S&B filter have an elongated opening where it mounts? It doesn't look like it would be a plain 3" circle mount. That might help flow a little easier.

S&B KF-1047 Oiled or KF-1047 Disposable $55 and $45 respectively
Opening is larger than 3" closer to 4" unless I miss my guess.
From the S&B web site:
Weight: 2 lbs
Flange ID (a3) : 4
Flange Height (a4) : .75
Pleat Height (a8) : .9
Element Height (l) : 8.25

Maybe someone can translate what it all means so far as "a3", "a4" etc.

I'm enjoying the heck out of mine as the engine feels less labored, smoother and quieter. Turbo Whistle is important to some and to tell the truth I don't really notice it with the ATT anyway so I can't comment if it will be a noticable difference with the GM-X turbos and I'm not in a rush to swap the old one back in.:hihi:

Back