• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HE351VE with functional VGT on 1997 6.5L

I fit a Ram Cummins rad, CAC a GM AC condenser and a medium truck trans cooler behind the dual headlight header panel/grille.
Your cooling fan and clutch are tasked with providing airflow through the cooling stack however, if the perimeter of the rad shroud is not sealed and there are air-gaps around everything else in front of the rad then air is drawn around instead of through cooling stack at speeds you mention.

The shroud isn't sealed to the Cummins radiator very well, that could be a lot of the problem as well.

Makes sense. Could you just cut the tall oval shape flip it over and weld it back?

Possibly, but then I would have to modify the inner fender more. I was thinking cut it, angle it up 45 degrees toward the turbo, and fill in the corner back in. By me doing it, I mean someone who can weld lol.

How thick is the core of the Cummins CAC?
The Cummins CAC can be made to fit into area of condenser w/the radiator support reinforcing rods in place then it will be flush with the leading edge of the radiator support, see image..
I modified the hood latch bracket so the ac condenser fits snug to the front of Cummins CAC.
More images in the AM.

Attachments

• DSCI0014.JPG
    DSCI0014.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 16
Travelers pictures. I've been trying to figure out the condenser for a long time. I've got a
spare core support that I've mounted a 2nd Gen intercooler in but have yet to find a way to mount the condenser that suited me.

Travelers pictures. I've been trying to figure out the condenser for a long time. I've got a
spare core support that I've mounted a 2nd Gen intercooler in but have yet to find a way to mount the condenser that suited me.

There are a few attached to his last post. I ditched my AC system, it didn't work anyway.

Day break here soon, I will take useful images along with the with the Trans cooler part number as it comes with the brackets and rubber isolator's to mount it. The ac condenser fits between the cac & trans cooler and sits on an "L" bracket that rests on top of bumper brackets, the rubber ac condenser isolaters can be glued to this rail.

Been all over Utah for decades. Been to Georgia a couple times.
Utah + no a/c = not too bad. Georgia + no a/c = self water boarding.
Like me not having a working heater is not cozy for 20 days of the year, but for Denata is probably certain death.
NAH, I am SURE Denata can survive deep cold...like a Russian Bear.

OK, I have some great images...as you can see I modified the hood latch bracket and mounted a bracket onto it to use as a step and not destroy the header/grill assembly by stepping on it.
The trans cooler is Hayden Heavy Duty part # 1290, 18.75" H, 24.0" W, 1.5" thick w/ 42,600 to 66,400 BTU rejection rating, you can use a smaller cooler if desired, this cooler comes with brackets and rubber islators.
To change out the ac condenser requires removing 4 fasteners 2 top 2 at bottom.
You have to fabricate, a "L" or "U" channel lower ac condenser bracket to your bumper mounts.
No mods needed for hood latch.

Attachments

• IMG_0444.JPG
    IMG_0444.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0446.JPG
    IMG_0446.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0448.JPG
    IMG_0448.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Is that your patio or work space or combo of both? I like your sliding screen system there.
It is a screened in car port/chillin grillin spot. I do have a separate cottage w/garage workshop, I like working in natural light when possible.
I have even a bigger one in the back of the house on the waterfront then a screened in dock too, have 157 miles of inland waterways and lakes to play in.

I guess I'm missing it but where is the a/c condenser. I assume that in the front is the trans cooler.

I guess I'm missing it but where is the a/c condenser. I assume that in the front is the trans cooler.
The GM ac condenser fits between the trans cooler and the CAC, look at the pictures and see the space between the trans cooler & CAC.
I will post a picture of the condenser, I had taken it out it is bad and I am waiting on a new one.

Back