• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic balancer

Stoney

Reaction score
So I keep hearing that I should change my harmonic balancer because I have no idea how old that one is... So my question is does it really matter where I get my new one from or what brand it is... Or can I just get whatever one AutoZone sells??

I agree with an alteration- I have had a doorman fail on me just over 30,000 miles, 2.5 years. When I contacted them about it, they said 90 day warranty and even that they were arguing something was wrong with the new crate gm long block engine. (Buddy got a discount at work buying it because they has to steal the balancer off for another customer).
I find it hard to hate doorman enough. The name just says it all- a man walking face first into a closed door:

That said- if you are totally broke need something that you KNOW you will replace in 1.5-2 years then ok.

The main thing is the condition of the rubber. If it's swelled or bulging or missing chunks you need to replace post haste. If in doubt look at a new one and compare. Need to check both sides

An inspection camera might come in handy. If you have a smart phone or tablet, they can be purchased pretty reasonably anymore. Seems like they were below $50 for a good one.

Handy for many things.

I would only use AC Delco or Fluidampr. If yours does not need replacement, I would save for the Fluidampr if you think you might hold onto the truck for a while or sell it to somebody you know in the future

No plans to sell her...it's nicest truck I ever had... I know that's not saying much considering its 22 years old.. so anything sure of the engine blowing and I will keep her... If it blows she goes to the scrap yard cause I'd never be able to afford a engine lol.... So there's actually two pieces to it the balancer and the pulley... Glad I realized that before I headed to the store.. when Auto zone said the replacement was only 80 bucks I knew something was wrong.. I think that's just for the pulley

No plans to sell her...it's nicest truck I ever had... I know that's not saying much considering its 22 years old.. so anything sure of the engine blowing and I will keep her... If it blows she goes to the scrap yard cause I'd never be able to afford a engine lol.... So there's actually two pieces to it the balancer and the pulley... Glad I realized that before I headed to the store.. when Auto zone said the replacement was only 80 bucks I knew something was wrong.. I think that's just for the pulley
Just say no to Autozone. For most stuff. Unless they have an ACDelco or you are in terrible need. If the parts are not bad, do not replace them until you have the money to buy the ACDelco or Fluidamper.

I think there is also a better engine pulley. Might be available from leroydiesel.com

If you have the ability to do an engine swap, don't let a crap engine lead you to junk a nice truck. Sometimes you can find good running trucks fairly cheap - I have seen some good running 6.5 powered state and municipal trucks sell below $1500

You can climb under the truck and see the harmonic balancer. Look at the rubber. If it’s coming apart like that then you know it’s time for another one. You can also give the balancer a good jerk and If it moves then you know it’s time to replace it.

Cool...I'll do it in a.m. and try to get some pics...its 11 pm here...and wife still refusing to let me put up garage even though I have all the materials...(something about her never seeing me if I have a garage to be in). Lol..

Tried that with last wife...she finally let me go drive 18 wheeler....came home one weekend to find her gone...ahhh peace and quiet..😀..you may be on to something..lol

Back