• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Harmonic balancer

I found a/c Delco balancer on amazon.for about 100...pulley was about same..if gonna replace one I might as well do both while it's apart..and do oil hoses and new block warmer at same time... decided to swallow pride and ask older sis for loan to order all the parts at once...(never gonna hear the end of this one). Lol....better to owe her then to trash a good engine..

I got a couple pics of the harmonic balancer.... Tell me what y'all think of the condition... Get it changed now or can it wait??

Attachments

• KIMG1100.JPG
    KIMG1100.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 10
That’s the belt dampener and yeah it’s time to change it. Looks like it don’t have long before the rubber lets go completely. Hard to tell how long though.

The balancer is right behind it

For harmonic balancer. Fluidampr. Once and done forever. I don't like doing it enough to do it twice
Long term I agree it is best.

But he is fighting his wallet at the moment. He is running leaking oil cooler lines right now -iirc.

How long before you have how much money becomes the question coupled with is this truck only thing to drive and how many miles before repairs/ upgrades can be made.

Yes it is the only thing I have to drive unfortunately... Luckily spring is only maybe four or six weeks away according to the groundhog... Once the weather breaks I have tons of work lined up so money won't be so much of an issue... I definitely want to get the oil cooler lines done as immediately as I can.. because they're already leaking and if one of them blows when I'm on the road driving I won't even know it until the engine seized up.... As for the harmonic balancer... If I can milk it for another month great... If not then I would rather put a $80 doorman one in for a couple of months and save up the money to buy the fluidamp.... I know it's a waste of $80 if I'm just going to pull it back off in a few months but I'd rather throw away $80 then risk breaking the crank... Cuz like I said one summer hits here in New York I'll have a lot more money at my disposal to work with... Then I can get all the more beefed-up upgrades done..

You need to winter in Vegas. Bad weather days happen here, usually 2 days per decade. Don’t bother with licensing, just be seasonal worker. Winter doesn’t stop work here, even after our biggest snowstorm in years hit last night- all snow was gone this morning. No ice in the puddles it left.

Just a couple months- leave the balancer for now. Just no high rpm. Put grandma in the driver’s seat.

Actually considered new Mexico... but think we're gonna go back to Tennessee this coming fall..made about same money there but cost of living was maybe half of what it is here..and land is so cheap it ain't even funny...still get little bit of what THEY call winter..but to me there winter is like our fall here.

@Stoney do the oil cooler lines, now. Just. Do. It. Even if it means taking a knee. Nike jab there... AutoZone employee's WILL Get Fired if they "hero" try and stop you. Jab and twist the knife joke there...

You must not know about AutoZone. Let me explain why it and "Lock-N-Load" on your tagline don't mix.

WOW....that's messed up..they fired a veteran for doing what his training taught him (protect the innocent)...(serve and protect)...I should boycot them just out of priciple..

I would fix the oil cooler line first.

When the HB and Pulley started to fail, you will hear noise at idle.
Not recommending it to anyone but I drove my truck to NC from TX round trip with bad HB.
Did not realize that the HB is bad till we were half way to NC so there is no way to fix it.

But with bad oil cooler, that is the fastest way to kill an engine.

Back