• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hard starting in cold weather with 98/95 merge

This vehicle is running, it starts, and has poor performance first off, so it does basically run, but there may be a timing or TDCO issue. Might not be the only issue.
Who said it does not perform? This thing runs very well,only prob is at start up in below weather and ONLY when sleeping outside.

Might be worthwhile to purchase gmtdscantech from Stefan....gives a ton of information you are otherwise not able to see without a Tech II....

Find out what sensor is going wonky until it heats up....

Not sure that will work, Chris... unless I'm misunderstanding Bison, the engine is in his 98, which is OBD-II. Stafan's software only works on OBD-I (unless I'm just OTL... which has been known to happen :D)

Not sure that will work, Chris... unless I'm misunderstanding Bison, the engine is in his 98, which is OBD-II. Stafan's software only works on OBD-I (unless I'm just OTL... which has been known to happen :D)

?????

Thought this was his first 95 listed in his sig....

thats correct, engine went from a 95 after rebuild to the 98

I need to clear this up.

initially i posted for the 95 chevy,that got interupted by an accident with the truck prior to problem solving. Truck was trashed.
I took the engine out and rebuild it prior to install in the 98. The gremlin hounting the 95 followed it to the 98. All engine harnesses from the 98 where used and all sensors are either new or from the 98 also. The only electronics that came along from the 95 are on the IP.
sorry about the confusion folkes, but even I forget things over time.

I am thinking of buying autoinginuity. would that be a good choice?

Wish I knew what to tell ya, Bison... you could put what I know about TDLearn on OBD-II into a very small bucket.

I still think your issue has something to do with timing, though, as the PCM won't ever have been timed with this IP. Your IP may be just fine, but that offset-learn thing is likely whacked.

It's the only thing that makes sense to my tired old noggin... and accounts for the issue only when cold - something that happens in Alberta from time to time :D

CanadianRigger uses Autoenginuity; says it's the best thing since sliced bread. Hell, maybe the best thing BEFORE sliced bread.

Okay I'm really Korn fused now (not hard to do these days), you got a 95 engine in a 98 body now with OBD-II logic ??? to clear up confusion can I close this thread and move posts 13 to now to a new thread about the now 98 truck ???, Kinda threw my logic bucket a curev as we started with a APP issue in a 95?

I can usually figger things out with my monky brain, but these electronics drive me bananas.I got an old and tired 6.2 that i used for 13 yrs. it has never let me down but once.[damn oil cooler line blew]
i got an other 6.2 powering my loader for last 10 yrs,same thing there,it never failed yet. [see sig]

CanadianRigger uses Autoenginuity; says it's the best thing since sliced bread. Hell, maybe the best thing BEFORE sliced bread.

From what I hear it works well, for time being MT-2500 will work, not easy but most common scan tool out there for a long time many folks may have one.

What PCM do you have, a 98 has theft deterrent module that needs to talk to a TD module in the steering column, if you did not do a theft learn (different than TDC offset learn) it won't start?

Okay I'm really Korn fused now (not hard to do these days), you got a 95 engine in a 98 body now with OBD-II logic ??? to clear up confusion can I close this thread and move posts 13 to now to a new thread about the now 98 truck ???, Kinda threw my logic bucket a curev as we started with a APP issue in a 95?
Yea go ahead:smile5:

Who said it does not perform? This thing runs very well,only prob is at start up in below weather and ONLY when sleeping outside.

The point was that you have an issue right after starting, no starting issue so timing and TDCO is still a legitimate issue, and if you dont call it poor performance so be it.

My parts store rents out dick all. OS and CPS checked out good, all it got me is codes.

Now gelling of the fuel could be possible cause the tank was full and the truck had been sitting for 5 yrs since last run and could have summer diesel in it[it did'nt cross my mind altough i did chuck 1/2 a can of conditioner in it.].
But the donor truck had same problem with winterdiesel.

resistorjumping the CTS might be worth trying.I'll have to wait for a frosty night to do that.

I start thinking the advance may be sticky

Even winter diesel may have an issue at -20F, maybe try draining the filter with the LP when its cold and see what the fuel looks like before starting. And then possibly seeing if the filter is clogged. You said you mounted the assembly somewhere else, is it the stock assembly with WIF and fuel heater hooked up? Or put some diesel in a jar outside and see what it looks like.

What did you measure on the OS and what happened with the CPS, did the truck run without them?

I need to clear this up.

initially i posted for the 95 chevy,that got interupted by an accident with the truck prior to problem solving. Truck was trashed.
I took the engine out and rebuild it prior to install in the 98. The gremlin hounting the 95 followed it to the 98. All engine harnesses from the 98 where used and all sensors are either new or from the 98 also. The only electronics that came along from the 95 are on the IP.
sorry about the confusion folkes, but even I forget things over time.

I am thinking of buying autoinginuity. would that be a good choice?

If I read this right, the only thing that the 2 installations have in common (electronically) is the IP. Is the IP from the 98 in good working order? If so, you may want to consider a swap.

If I read this right, the only thing that the 2 installations have in common (electronically) is the IP. Is the IP from the 98 in good working order? If so, you may want to consider a swap.

x2, at least swap the OS. Could be a bad connector or wire allowing moisture in while it is cold
Leo​

Even winter diesel may have an issue at -20F, maybe try draining the filter with the LP when its cold and see what the fuel looks like before starting. And then possibly seeing if the filter is clogged. You said you mounted the assembly somewhere else, is it the stock assembly with WIF and fuel heater hooked up? Or put some diesel in a jar outside and see what it looks like.

What did you measure on the OS and what happened with the CPS, did the truck run without them?
Buddy, your're in california, I'm in the great white north. I'm well versed in the use of diesel in winter in temps that might keep you cowering inside and I have used it longer than you walk this earth..
the fuel is NOT the problem.

I did not get the chance to measure.

Buddy, your're in california, I'm in the great white north. I'm well versed in the use of diesel in winter in temps that might keep you cowering inside and I have used it longer than you walk this earth..
the fuel is NOT the problem.

I did not get the chance to measure.

Just a suggestion, youre the one with the problem, good luck, no one else providing much help to you...

Back