• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

hard starting chevy 6.0.....

trouttrooper

Big Blocks ROCK!!!
Reaction score
2000 chevy 2500LD 6.0 142k miles. In-laws truck.

Truck starts right up when cold. After running for awhile it then doesn't like to start immediately. Takes a couple cranks, then turn key off (engine not running yet), then try to start again and it will then fire right up.

I'm going to replace fuel filter and PCV but I question if that is really the issue. Any suggestions or thoughts? The truck runs great otherwise, no stumbling or hesitation.

plugs/wires????

nope, no codes. The truck has zero issues except for not liking to start after been running for awhile. father in law says the starting issue started about 2 months ago and is slowly getting worse.

I'm thinking it's a sensor somewhere but don't know what it would be.

This may sound crazy but my 6.0 acted very similar right after I changed the plugs and wires. Come to find out I broke the connector for the coolant temp sensor and changed it out and then it was fine. I don't know it that was it or not but I haven't had that problem since.

I've read a couple things about the coolant temp sensor being an issue so maybe......

if it was a fuel pressure issue wouldn't it be hard to start all the time? Not just after it's ran awhile? First start of the morning it fires right up.

I don't have physical access anymore to the truck so it does make it a bit challenging to diagnose. Instead of working on their truck I got to spend the afternoon putting together a swing set they bought for my kids.......surprise!!!!

Last edited:
haven't heard from the in-laws yet, I don't talk to them very often....catch my drift??. I told them to replace the coolant temp sensor among some general maintenance stuff.

well he took it to the chevy shop. bad fuel pump. I may be helping him replace it here in a few days. He wants to drop the tank, I want to remove the bed. Bed is easier isn't it?? A few bolts with a couple other things and it's off.

well he took it to the chevy shop. bad fuel pump. I may be helping him replace it here in a few days. He wants to drop the tank, I want to remove the bed. Bed is easier isn't it?? A few bolts with a couple other things and it's off.

It is easier to remove the bed.

When are you thinking about repairing it? I am out of Pullman for the weekend, I will be back Sunday night. If you are doing it during the week, next week, I could probably come over and lend a hand. My dad and I picked an 8' square body bed off by ourselves, a newer one shouldn't be too bad. :thumbsup:

If possible just tilt the bed. Take em all out but the backmost 2 bolts(just leave them 2 or 3 threads in) and either pick it up with a jack or hook it to a tree and lift it up with a cumalong or something like that and reach in and do it. This is how I did them when I worked at DODGE unless it had a fifth wheel hitch.

When are you thinking about repairing it? I am out of Pullman for the weekend, I will be back Sunday night. If you are doing it during the week, next week, I could probably come over and lend a hand. My dad and I picked an 8' square body bed off by ourselves, a newer one shouldn't be too bad. :thumbsup:

The truck is in Orofino. I don't even know if I am helping when he's ready. He was talking about having a shop do it. It's in-laws, I never know what to expect. I did buy his pump from rockauto w/ the discount so I saved him a chunk of change (his credit card of course :thumbsup: )

Thanks for the offer though.

I have the same thing going on with my 99 GMC 7.4. I replaced the fuel pump 1 year ago, changed fuel filter then and again a week ago. Cleaned Intake from filter to throttle body; no change. I am going to replace plugs and wires this week...

Any suggestions?

I worked for fleet of hundreds of Chevy trucks, fuel filter every 10,000 miles is not often enough. If you change every 6,000 miles the fuel pumps will make it 500,000 miles.

Back