• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Got Bagged Today

I just called Jeff and we are all out but we can drop ship one to you from a air vendor we get them from. Sucks because it's not something we tend to keep many hanging around. Is Kyle on line right know? Maybe he might be able to direct you to a more local spot that has them?

I'm all set now. I finally, after a half a tank of wasted fuel, went to Home Depot and they had exactly what I was looking for. Steve helped me put them on and they're holding air...

Thanks Nick...

I run 25# unloaded, and 60 to 70 loaded with the 5th wheel (2000# pin weight). As already stated, makes a big difference!

Seems a little high too me. Firestone recommends 5-10psi empty. My 5er has around 2500# pin weight and I run 45-50psi loaded.
I determined this by measuring the height of the rear bumper unloaded, then hook up trailer, lift landing gear then inflate bags up to the same measurement. On my 5er, it is anywhere between 45-50psi depending on how I loaded the the inside of the Toy Hauler.
Also, I was told by Firestone that since I was not using an onboard compressor and in-cab filler control, that I should T the two lines to one schraeder fill valve so both bags are equal. This was recommended for a 5er but I was also told that if I was haulin an in-bed camper, to have separate fill valves and to inflate both bags to the same pressure. My fill valve is located in the rear bumper beside my license plate.
Their theory is that a top heavy camper when cornering will not transfer air from one bag to the other if hooked together. This is ok on a 5er since the weight is at the bed level and there is very little if any air transfer from bag to bag.
My truck corners on the highway close to the same with or without the trailer behind me and I have no sway or leaning happening.

Bags aired up to 50 psi. 750 lb wheeler in the back...No sag and still a bit of a rake....I love it...!

Attachments

• HPIM1062.jpg
    HPIM1062.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 28
  • HPIM1063.jpg
    HPIM1063.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 33
  • HPIM1064.jpg
    HPIM1064.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
The other problem that can occur when loaded at 2500# with 70 psi in the bags is when you lower your landing gear without bleeding off some air from the bags, they will exceed 100# immediately.
My air bags are set at 10psi empty. After I hook up my 5er and lift the landing gear, my bags will be at 25psi just from adding the trailer weight.

Seems a little high too me. Firestone recommends 5-10psi empty. My 5er has around 2500# pin weight and I run 45-50psi loaded.
I determined this by measuring the height of the rear bumper unloaded, then hook up trailer, lift landing gear then inflate bags up to the same measurement. On my 5er, it is anywhere between 45-50psi depending on how I loaded the the inside of the Toy Hauler.
Also, I was told by Firestone that since I was not using an onboard compressor and in-cab filler control, that I should T the two lines to one schraeder fill valve so both bags are equal. This was recommended for a 5er but I was also told that if I was haulin an in-bed camper, to have separate fill valves and to inflate both bags to the same pressure. My fill valve is located in the rear bumper beside my license plate.
Their theory is that a top heavy camper when cornering will not transfer air from one bag to the other if hooked together. This is ok on a 5er since the weight is at the bed level and there is very little if any air transfer from bag to bag.
My truck corners on the highway close to the same with or without the trailer behind me and I have no sway or leaning happening.

Not disagreeing, but my pin weight is dry, I'm not sure about loaded. Also, I have a tool box full of good stuff, two Honda generators and fuel. I know that according to my tape measure, the ride height is about the same running between 60 and 70.

As for the air, I have the on-board compressor, which I am greatly disappointed with (takes forever!) and a schrader valve in the bumper.

What do these run?

You can get bags for 390-450$$$

Labor to install usually runs 75-100.00

If you add a compressor, and lines etc (instead of manual fillup) you might as well budget 1200.00 for the whole package.

You can get bags for 390-450$$$

Labor to install usually runs 75-100.00

If you add a compressor, and lines etc (instead of manual fillup) you might as well budget 1200.00 for the whole package.

Holy crap - mine were no where near that. Of course I did the install myself, but the bags were $240 and the guage/compressor ran $235 for a total of $475.

Installtion of the bags is quite easy. The compressor/guage and lines are more complicated, and truth be known, I wouldn't do the compressor if I had it to do over again because it just takes too damn long to fill up the bags.

I installed a set of these a while back but i been working too damn much to try them out ..

Do these add bounce or remove bounce if unloaded? Unloaded being a HEAVY utility body filled with tools in this instance.

Holy crap - mine were no where near that. Of course I did the install myself, but the bags were $240 and the guage/compressor ran $235 for a total of $475.

Installtion of the bags is quite easy. The compressor/guage and lines are more complicated, and truth be known, I wouldn't do the compressor if I had it to do over again because it just takes too damn long to fill up the bags.

Got my airlift bags at JC Whitney for $193 and the dual load controller 2 for $162.

Just installed the bags yesterday and they seem to work pretty well. I am debating about the Airlift compressor. When you say it takes to long how much time are you talking about? Which compressor did you get?

Got my airlift bags at JC Whitney for $193 and the dual load controller 2 for $162.

Just installed the bags yesterday and they seem to work pretty well. I am debating about the Airlift compressor. When you say it takes to long how much time are you talking about? Which compressor did you get?

I have the compressor Firestone includes in the kit. When I say a long time, it takes at least 5 minutes for each 10 pounds. I guess it's ok if you're out in the boonies where there is no air available, but I mounted a fill valve on the bumper so I can use my regular air compressor when at home.

I considered air bags, but chose www.activesuspension.com over the bags very capable for the money, now I doubt little if any improvement over mpg as they claim, but with 4480# on rear axle the truck sits dead level, ride is same as factory unless loaded and even loaded up the ride is decent I got the XXIIF 1 ton kit, E range tires, and upped to 3300# rims I like the fact they are always there when I need them and no further adjustment required once installed, I was just at Lowes the other day put 100 cinderblocks in the bed no problems, and also hauled 1 & a partial pallet of St Augustine sod (front to back of bed, & 1 foot over top of bed rails) with dead level there as well

Last edited:
Back