• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM Announces Major Plant Changes

Hate to see any outfit cutting jobs.

On the change to nore tech driven jobs and rigs for that matter — I have a hard time trusting my life to some software to know when to hit the brakes, and how far to turn the steering wheel. But my hair is grey. My 18 year old son sees it as - it can land an airplane, it will stop or swerve in time. I remember talking to my Dad working on military aircraft at the time that the pilot had to relinquish control to the computer for much of the flight in certain situations.

I have driven the Tesla’s. They are nice cars. I “drove” an automated one at 25 mph and slower. It’s just all I could trust it with my theory of how fast is too dangerous to crash at. There will be failures like the google car that killed the gal. How it is implemented and who will be the test dummies is quite a debate, but it will happen.

Back to my son, he and almost all his friends, both male and female, really dont care about a car or truck. They see it no different than a bike, skateboard, or walking. Simply transport and nothing more. I don’t hold the value of a horse any higher than that of a dog, less infact. Take that line of thinking back 100 years and I would be considered retarded beyond help. They all have no problem getting in a car that wouldn’t have anything other than a single stop button.

Know what the year 2118 Chevy truck will look like? A box moving materials without a person in it.

I don't get those autonomous vehicles. Seems like a ton of liability and a lot of development. I might see a highway travel mode but not in city/urban driving autonomy. I bet lawyers and insurance will eventually force a heavy toll on that market.
A major law firm by me that is a renowned ambulance chaser and BS class action suit pursuer all over the east coast recently announced they are sueing Tesla over a wreck involving there auto pilot(or whatever they call it). He has nearly limitless finances to pursue, so we will see how things pan out. He was the one that got medical marijuana legalized in Florida, and is killing it off of that as he has ties to several growers, so money is no obstacle.

I don't get those autonomous vehicles. . . . I might see a highway travel mode but not in city/urban driving autonomy.

Planes fly themselves. And not just the military jets that hug the ground at supersonic speed. The big-uns with 150+ seats. Research / military drones do it all the time. Sure, not as many variables as a terrestrial vehicle, but the technology is there.

Didn't a semi just drive cross-country with nobody onboard?

Within the realm of possibilities is that Gen Z might be the last generation that learns to drive here in the US as the skill of driving will go the way of manually shifting gears.

There will be failures like the google car that killed the gal. How it is implemented and who will be the test dummies is quite a debate, but it will happen.

I'll argue that the vehicle was only part of the failure as IIRC she had a good bit of non-prescription chemistry in her bloodstream. Inattention of the 'safety' human / driver did not help either.

In reality, technology will never prevent all fatalities, but it is proving its value by reducing them.

I hope President Trump follows through with making GM's 'sell Americans Out' top brass pay for this. You know NAFTA type deals...

If I want a made in USA vehicle anymore I really have to look at a foreign nameplate. GM can't wait to import vehicles from China. I can buy a Cummins 5.0 diesel in a Nissan Titan final assembly point Canton, Mississippi. Cummins comes in RAM pickups final assembly point Mexico.

Automation is being held to the wrong standard on road, street, and highway designs that make no sense. Seriously drivers can't avoid that fing carpool lane divider that the Telsa crashed and burned on. Hell the Telsa was a crash barrer for the next driver that f'd up at the same spot. Just not enough bodies piled up to fix that spot.

Automation just killed a plane load of people. Too damn technical to be properly fixed and just the slightest lack of training or inability and a plane load of people die. The system is in place due to human error killing even more people. Humans in the form of a company are not willing to walk back the bad design. Ford Pinto, side saddle gas tanks... Cars that go WOT for no reason like tin wiskers in the TPS... Yeah so sad, next day's news? Simple shit kills people and ignored. Uber self driving runs down a homeless jaywalking... People that peogram this don't get it: the term Bus Driver is a term for a reason. Google car and safety driver learn this again by getting hit by a bus. No, bus driver is not going to let you in... DUH! Compaired to pilots who have lots of training and simulators Every Single Year... Drivers ed and then that's it. Maybe a cop gives you a lesson. Mix up the gas and brake because one is loosing it from age: so what and God help anyone around your car.

The above aside do you get passed in the AM by a vehicle equipped with a breathalyzer starter interlock and the driver is using the mirror to put on make up while texting? They have pick your drug or open container impairment. Yeah, at a stop sign.

Then there are the road rats like Elk, cows, deer, horses. And in the case of Uber homeless Jay walkers...

It's pretty clear from the above that we ought to cut self driving some slack. Because we really don't care how bad humans are at it as evidenced by zero training and insane accident rates. This is on a good dry day. Rain or snow/ice one needs a bunker to hide from bad drivers.

Only hope for self driving... Aw Screw it and let Darwin take its course and thin the heard.

Coming home from Red Deer AB. tonight, a small car was doing 50 mph until it met oncoming traffic then would hit the brakes at each vehicle. Then on a curve they turned on their signal light. The wife and I had a good laugh. They could use one of those Autonomous vehicles.

We haven’t made it a week since the last wrong way driver on the interstate. Hiway patrol is constantly pushing for staying out of the farthest left lane for this reason. The oncoming person stays in that lane being all the way to theor right side.

Back