• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GM 2.8 Liter 4 cylinder Duramax diesel engine going into their vans

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I think it's a bad move. On passanger family vans, it might be ok. But all the electricians, plumbers,hvac guys that are running them- I'm still in contact with a lot of different fleet mfr's, the only reason they ponied up extra for the diesel over gas engine was power hauling the weight.

Most service vans are running around maxed out weight. The reason the 6.5 vans didn't do that good was lack of power.

Maybe I'm underestimating the Duramini (yeah, Duramini, I like it) I think it's time I go test drive and see if they have a "loaded tester".

Gearing low would have to steal from top end, even with the 6 speed. With hp and torque in between 6.2 n/a and 6.5t, it doesn't look promising.Maybe they turned down the dial for the pickups, and can power up a tad in the van.

If so, then maybe it becomes a legit mpg getter for 1/2 ton diesel pickups. Dare I say it- Tahoe/suburban?

Sorry caught myself dreamin again.

Fleet managers love high MPG and low cost of ownership. The Dull 4.3L V6 fits this bill perfectly. I can't use 'under powered' for the 200HP version of the V6, but, older 1993 TBI versions deserve that badge. Cargo vans are for work and are as boring as it gets. Opting for a Duramax would have to be for reasons like Will gives above. The diesel's higher maintenance and repair costs give the win to gas engines except where there is a need or a preference. Fleet managers don't care if it's underpowered unless the drivers wrap him in a towel and beat him severely. Driver complaints are ignored.

The Grumman delivery van used for Frito Lay had the ~100 HP economizer 6.2 diesel in it with the smallest precups known.

Small business owners can make their own rules. Working on a van is a PIA and why pickups are the 1st choice or box truck if you can't avoid a cargo van. I know some that use a 3/4T Duramax and tow a single axle cargo trailer to avoid a cargo van.

For this engine to be successful it will have to deliver a TCO cost lower or equal to a gas engine. With low fuel prices and the EPA targeting diesels to cover up their river spill I doubt we will see more consumer diesels in SUV's from GM.

I guess you guys didn't like the MERCEDES SPRINTER? It had a 2.7L diesel in it when it 1st came out, and even the new ones only have a 3.0L diesel in them. They are available in 2500, 3500, 3500 duallys, and even 3500 dually MOTORHOMES with generators and all loaded in them. Those things have sold like hot cakes for MANY years now. The early ones with the 2.7L did have power complaints, the engines did give out in the states because Americans pushed them so hard(they had virtually ZERO engine failures over seas), but the 3.0L version is said to take care of the power issue, and has been pretty reliable.

Same problem we discussed above, kind of. The engine was strong, but u can't tow with them, or load it with much weight.

1 more thing-HORRIBLE in crosswinds. I test drove a couple, and going on an interchange close to the valley automall (mega dealership area), 25-30 mph cross wind almost wrecked me. The salesman asked me take a different way. I said "no, this is the route I always drive, i want to see how it handles these roads or no sale." He cringed and said ok.

Right lane, 5 mph under posted ramp speed. Half way through turn, right wheels in the air, pushed across left lane and almost hit the jersey barrier. I'm yelling "Firetruck!" Minus a few letters, and he screamed-"Not again!" Guess who rode as salesman 2 weeks prior when someone else lost it into the barrier, and had the front tire and fender hanging over the drop off? Dude was in tears. Guess why my wife doesn't own one now.

Until that pos, I liked every Benz I rode in. "Run like the wind Bullseye".

I was just going to post that the Mercedes van is offering a 4cly diesel now. I watched a Youtube comparison and they were impressed with it, but some things were definitely not as good. The obvious things like towing and grunt when needed. Just everyday driving they did like it. This was all in a RV conversion too, so more weight than a van (empty)

It will have an 8spd trans behind it so that may help it out.
Hopefully GM follows through with it. The COLORADO/CANYON was supposed to get the 8 speed, then the bean counters got involved, and well they downgraded all the way to the 6L50E that they had to rerate to the torque specs of the 2.8L diesel.

I guess you guys didn't like the MERCEDES SPRINTER?

Same problem we discussed above, kind of. The engine was strong, but u can't tow with them

X2.

Definitely like the 20% better fuel economy of the Merc 3L as compared to my Burb, but the Sprinter's tow rating (IIRC 5K) is not enough to make me want to leave the Burb.

Actually, if we could get the Merc Viton (small van) over here with the 1.9 TD, I'd probably jump on that for the grocery getter and road-trip cruiser. A friend beats on his and, aside from occasional electrical gremlins, the powertrain keeps running strong.

This thread answered a question I had and had forgotten about GM doing this. A little research on how they have held up and OMG! :wtf: Yuck! Attached is a good analysis, Colorado Pickup use, and happens on "stock tune" engines as well. Original site it came from here.

Also a Stock Tune failure example link.

I was going to ask about a Duramax vs. a 6.0L gas in a 2500 conversion van in a the remaining small niche market conversion vans now are... and here we are same name different engine. :wtf: I will tilt my hat to the term Gimmick Motors because this engine is not what a V8 Duramax is known for. No contest and a nobrainer to get a 6.0L gas.

Regardless this engine is pooping out broken wrist pins at low miles thus pooping on the "Dura" in the "Duramax" name.

Given the 3.0L I6 coming out for pickups and other stuff it's lacking power is clearly a known known.

In looking into vans it is apparent how the 3.0L Mercedes diesel isn't holding up. The "street" recommendation is to change the oil at 5000 miles because they run so hot rather than the 20,000 miles the OEM claims. Otherwise some get a 'polished cylinders' blowby problem at just 80K miles.

Attachments

• Green Diesel Engineering 2.8l Colorado engine failure report_02.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I guess you guys didn't like the MERCEDES SPRINTER? It had a 2.7L diesel in it when it 1st came out, and even the new ones only have a 3.0L diesel in them. They are available in 2500, 3500, 3500 duallys, and even 3500 dually MOTORHOMES with generators and all loaded in them. Those things have sold like hot cakes for MANY years now. The early ones with the 2.7L did have power complaints, the engines did give out in the states because Americans pushed them so hard(they had virtually ZERO engine failures over seas), but the 3.0L version is said to take care of the power issue, and has been pretty reliable.
I am wondering about the Mercedes engines and installing one into a GMT400 such as My 2000 K3500 and how it would work out.
A guy that lives close to Me hauls mail 80 miles north, he has a Dodge with the Mercedes emgine and says He really likes it, He also has a couple of GM pickups with the Duramax engines and has also run Dodge pickups with the cummins. he says hands down He likes this engine over all those other ones. Better fuel mileage too, according to Him.

Back