• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Getting my CUCV today!

i know they made them in civillian i just didnt think they made them in civillian with the 6.2 from the factory

Take a look at my Rust Bucket. That's a Civilian blazer with a 6.2 from the factory. As far as Kenny's says about the 700R4 Trans in the civilian models, he's right. My blazer had a 700R4 in it, which slipped when shifting from 1 to 2 and was garbage, but to defend the 700R4 it took loads of abuse before i bought it. Much better with the SM465. :D

MPGs suck on the m1008 but probably not bad on the M1009 as you have much better gearing(typically 3.08). Deere is right. 700r4=junk. The later ones can be built to reasonable standards but still no comparison to to a TH400. If you want overdrive the two ways I'd go about it(which are pricey) is a 4l80e with a compushift standalone controller or keep the TH400 and install a gear vendors OD unit. Civilian Blazers were availible with 6.2 from 1982 right until the end of the bodystyle in 1991. They are out there if you look hard enough. Of course finding one in 2009 that isn't a pile of rust is another story.

Hey now you leave my Rust Bucket Alone. :rofl:

I have a quick CUCV question this made me think of. They have a Dana 60 front and 14 bolt semi float rear correct??

1009 blazers have 10 bolts front and rear .
1008 trucks have d60/14bff axles and all CUCVs that i am aware of have thm400 transmissions.

Ok, explain the following to me since I'm diesel ignorant. These are the results of the compression test as written on the repair order, no units given:

1: 280
2: 279
3: 275
4: 275
5: 281
6: 278
7: 271
8: 279

Whats it mean and is that decent? I'm told that a new engine is 300... Thoughts?

EDIT: Ok, I looked up the tech data from the CUCV General Support manual posted in another post here on the forum and this is what I found:

Normal compression should be 380-400 psi (2620-2758 kPa).

Something's off here. All 8 cylinders were so close in compression that I'm having a hard time believing that the cylinders are all that far out of tolerance, besides which the truck runs and sounds great.

Last edited:
How did they do they test ? All the glows must be removed, batts fully charged etc etc. Most don't know how to do a compression test on a diesel. what is good is the numbers are pretty consistent. If it runs good, doesn't burn oil or smoke alot or have excessive blowby don't worry about it.

How did they do they test ? All the glows must be removed, batts fully charged etc etc. Most don't know how to do a compression test on a diesel. what is good is the numbers are pretty consistent. If it runs good, doesn't burn oil or smoke alot or have excessive blowby don't worry about it.

Not sure.. The truck runs great though. No smoke or oil burn.

How difficult is it to add a second fuel tank to a CUCV? Where would you put it?

The short answer...Not hard . Mounting a second tank is easy. These trucks came with dual tanks(not CUCV's). Of course parts are starting to finally get scare for these but the pass side tank would bolt right to the frame exactly like your current drivers side one does. The problem is the electric switching valves that they came with suck period. They don't work right with diesels for some reason. They always end up failing or getting stuck between tanks. I wouldn't bother but that is JMO. If I wanted more fuel capacity I would probably loose the factory one it cirrently has and put a 30+ gallon one in the back betweent the frame rails where the spare tire currently is. Arrow tank used to make a 40 gal aftermarket one that went there but I think they are out of business.

Back